Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2004, 07:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Where do your pooches sleep?

Just three dogs and the two of us. We use our dinette sleeper for two of the pooches (as most Russell folks can attest, ours sleeps with us in our bed, of course! ).

Just curious, what do you do?
Attached Images

67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 07:56 AM   #2
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
We have two five pound poodles. One is ours (Aggie) and one (Ebony) that we adopted after my wife's mother could no longer care for her in the nursing home. They both sleep with us. GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:35 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Dinette

Our gaucho is barely big enough for two, let alone two and a dalmatian who needs room to stretch out! Our little eskimo fits anywhere. So we drop the dinette down for the dogs. In fact, when we have the dogs along we usually drop it down during the day too. Who wants to nap on a hard floor? My husband sometimes joins them

XRay, your dogs are really cute. What a team!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nap.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	7515  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:58 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
We had Penny our 70lb Shep mix on the dinette folded down with all the sheets, etc. It became kind of a PITA...until we reailzed her dog bed fits right under the dinette table. Now she has a space under the table and is happy as a clam...plus not bed setup and take down each day!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Thanks, Steph, Twink, et al!

We really love our dogs. They go with us everywhere. We make the bed up for them every night even though it is a PITA. See their euroshams? I'd hate to tell you what they cost!

Steph, your husband looks like he's in heaven... You're obviously our kind of people.

I gotta mention that the 22' CCD has an upholstered wheel well under the table that the Russell loves to sit on (when he's not actually on the table top) when we dine (see, Twink, the wheel well is actually an asset!). Russell's are something else... We'd love to have more pooches but there just "aint" room!
Old 07-05-2004, 12:31 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Cookie, our Peek-A-Poo, takes turns sleeping with each of us. We learned early on there isn't enought room for two "full grown-plus" adults on the gauchos, so we each take one. The dog usually starts sleeping with Marie, and sometime during the night she winds up with me.

Terry
Old 08-09-2004, 09:13 PM   #7
19' 1999 Bambi

Trying to learn more

Does anyone know if a 100 lb Dobe can turn around comfortably in a 22' Airstream? He is a house dog at home.
WhiteWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

WhiteWing,

Easily.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:17 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWing
Does anyone know if a 100 lb Dobe can turn around comfortably in a 22' Airstream? He is a house dog at home.
Well, we travel with two poodles, one is 65#, and the other a svelte 52#. They turn around easily in our 31 footer.... we, however, exit the trailer when they decide to do poodle zoomies! Down the hall, flip off the bed, back down the hall, flip off the gaucho and repeat repet repeat!
We have had a friend stay with us with three of his poodles.... add another 175# to the mix....
If we can fit 292# of poodles in our 31 footer, your 100# dobe should be a snap in a 22!
And on the orginal thread.... our dogs sleep with us, in the skimpy double bed..... at home, they sleep on the floor, in the Airstream they MUST be in bed with us. Go figure!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 08-10-2004, 08:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Jack Russells are DAWGS???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Just three dogs and the two of us. We use our dinette sleeper for two of the pooches (as most Russell folks can attest, ours sleeps with us in our bed, of course! ).

Just curious, what do you do?
Jack Russells are DAWGS???
We didn't know that, and neither did our Jack!
What was God thinking when he allowed them on the earth?

Our Dilly owns the Airstream,and she tells US where we can sleep.

(Usually in MY twin)
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:17 AM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The day before we left for our big trip we were packing the trailer and van, and the dogs snuck out and got in the van and refused to come out! They knew we were packing, and they wanted to go too! I had to lure them back inside with cookies. I felt like a heel leaving them behind, but they forgave us as soon as we got home.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 11:38 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

our boxer lets us sleep in the bed with her
Old 08-10-2004, 11:45 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

We have two large German Sheperds, a black 7 month old male pup named Chief, and a sable colored five year old female named Jess. The pup is getting " fixed" as I write this. He is already as big as the female and he has 18 more months of growth to go. My only concern is that I think the Vet wants to steal him. Her family raises German Shepards and Chief has a great personality. He has absolutely no fear and consequently is excellant around kids, adults, and animals of all sorts. Like his predecessors, he is being trained as a hospital visitation dog.

However, as good as these dogs are, they are too big to stay in our 31 footer. I have a pickup truck with a tall canopy with a rear tinted glass door that replaces the tailgate. The canopy has large screened sliding windows. I installed a Cargo Bat for storage in the canopy over two large doorless kennels. The kennels were equipped with thick pads. Another pad was place just inside the glass door. A spill proof water dish sits beside the pad. This is their home away from home.

When camped, the dogs are leashed to individual runners placed between trees. At night, the dogs are released and told to "Kennel UP." They go directly to their kennels and I close the glass door. When we stay where the dogs can run free, we just leave the canopy door open and they can come and go as they please.

For security, its nice to have the dogs out of the Airstream and in the canopy. The dogs can see out but no one can see in through the tinted windows or door. When they stick their heads out the windows, they are at eye level for six footers.

When traveling, I can watch via the rear view mirror the dogs sitting or lying on the big pad watching the world go by through the back door. I am currently working on an evaperative cooler for their comfort when travaling in hot weather. I have a remote thermometer to watch the temperature when traveling or camped.

Whenever we pull the Airstream to the house to load up for a trip, we can not leave the the canopy door open or we will never get the dogs out.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:00 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

We normally travel with 2 Golden retrievers in a 19 ft Bambi. One is about 60 lb and the other is around 85 lb there seams to be plenty of room for them hard to say about us. Cody the 85 lb thinks it is his trailer. Acutely there is plenty of room you just have to watch out where you step so you don't step on one of them.

BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 01:40 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

My border collie, Sadie is my best buddy...in the Summer months she prefers to be outside either on the deck in front of the trailer...or the big Coggins kennel when not at home...she sleeps on a mini trampoline with the cat...in the Winter we bunk up to stay warm(bad breath,dog farts and all)....I'm planning to live in my 24 ft Argosy for the next 2-3 yrs...so this is the way it's going to be....I wish that I had a dinette in front instead of the gaucho sleeper so Sadie could sleep under it...she likes sleeping in closets and cubbies...
Trailerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 01:51 PM   #16
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Where do your pooces sleep?

Quote:
My 100 pound German Shepard backs up. No problem for him. Anything to get to go!

He sleeps in the floor. My English Setter sleeps in the bed, especially if the couch is pulled out (it doesn't matter who is in it!).
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:06 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Our dobe curls up on a rug or a blanket on the floor. A heads-up for 16' owners (maybe everybody?)... be sure your doggie doesn't accidentally trigger the LP test button! Ours did, thankfully during the day and not in the middle of the night! 16's are a tight space, but we get along fine.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:42 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Here's Ernie at dog beach in Del Mar, Ca and he sleeps in our bed at home and when we get the AS (soon ) will sleep with us there, or would otherwise keep entire campsite awake while he yelled at us to let him up!

Am still investigating portable fencing solutions for camping tho as hate for him to be on leash the whole time....pretty much our lives revolve around this guy...and he wouldn't have in any other way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ErnieDelMar95.81k.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	8262  
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 06:11 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
My dog, "Kitty", sleeps with me. Or, I sleep with her since it is her trailer. Traveled to Alaska last year without her, decided never again, bought her a Bambi....

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 10:45 PM   #20
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
We take our 2 Bouviers @ 80 lbs each in the Safari and we all love it.
The Dobe may have to learn how to back his way out from the rear bath though!!
One Bouv ('Emmy') sleeps at the foot of our front double gaucho (width extended to queen size) and the other is o.k. with the floor (men are used to it!)
If we tart up the side gaucho enough and it's not a cold night , we might get through the whole night with Emmy over there- but they also make good heaters!!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote