Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #181
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
We are thinking about Bandit and keeping her in our prayers, MinPin, you and Prim. Hope to see you and the girls soon! John
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #182
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Bandit and your family are in our thoughts! There's nothing like a furkid. As we always say, "Just like kids, only better". Best wishes to you!
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #183
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Things are sounding promising. I'll keep Bandit and your family in my thoughts.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #184
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Sending a lot of Chi to Miss Bandit and family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit View Post
Miss Bandit made it thru the night without any issues. They monitored her vitals and some blood count analysis to determine if any hemorraging was occurring and it looks like all was good so far.

Vet called this morning and we could even hear bandit doing the Siberian whimper/whine/growl in the background. The vet even suggested we could possibly take her home today, but we may play it safe and have her there for observations one more day....That will be determined later this afternoon.

Thanks for all the support everyone. Miss Bandit has proven herself to be a strong girl wanting to do some more Airstream travels, at least a little while longer...

Kevin,

I was saddened to hear of Bandit's illness. Our pets are family. Bill, Pau Hoa (pug), Mac (corgi), and I wish her a speedy recovery and a long life of happiness with you, Prim, and MinPin.

Larry

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #185
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
At home...

The vet has decided that Bandit is stable enough to go home, so we picked her up 30 min ago.

She's still drugged up and we needed to carry her in a blanket "sling style" with 2 people to get her from the vet, into the truck, and into the house.

It may look bad, but I see hope and happiness sleeping on that bed....

Now we wait for the biopsy results to determine if she needs chemo....

Thanks for everyones thoughts and support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bandit Home from Surgery (Medium).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	75741  
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #186
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
And I see true love and devotion in your avatar.

Sending lots of prayers and good wishes your way.

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #187
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Hope and happiness, I see it too. I pray you get good news on the biopsy results.

Ms. Lulu Sugarfoot and I send a big K9 "get well" wish to Bandit and many more years ahead for both of you.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #188

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You just know she's happy to be home, even if she is still a bit loopy. When Alki came home she couldn't sleep on the bed with us (couldn't jump up per Dr's orders) so we took turns sleeping on the floor with her instead. Give Bandit a hug from us, she's a strong girl.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #189
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
You just know she's happy to be home, even if she is still a bit loopy. When Alki came home she couldn't sleep on the bed with us (couldn't jump up per Dr's orders) so we took turns sleeping on the floor with her instead. Give Bandit a hug from us, she's a strong girl.

We did the same for our little kitty when she was in her final stages after a long and much loved life. She didn't want to leave the gas fireplace and her sheep skin lined basket and walking any more than ten feet was a challenge for her, so there we were, curled up on the floor in front of the fireplace with her, each of us with a hand in the basket touching her and letting her know she was loved. I know she appreciated it as she'd rub against our hands and lick them a bit, and we appreciated just being able to give back a bit of the care she showed us for 21 years.

In the over all scheme of things our pets have wonderful lives and are so much a part of our every day living. When they get sick it brings home to the heart just how lucky we are to have them.
Barry
Old 02-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #190
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
[quote=Bambi_Bandit;668799]The vet has decided that Bandit is stable enough to go home, so we picked her up 30 min ago.

Bandit is getting the best of care, she's blessed and fortunate to have your loving home.

Are all of you attending the Big Bend rally with The Heart of Texas unit?

John
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #191
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
One week update

Thanks to all who have kept Bandit in their prayers or thoughts. We truly appreciate the support and kind words.

Bandit's incision is healing up nicely. She doesn't even mess with it at all so we don't have to use the cone head "E-collar", which really makes her happier.

Bruising is nearly all gone, and all the meds are done. Her appetite is slowing coming back, and so is her weight.

The bad news is that the histopath report came back and it is "Hepatocellular Carcinoma", and shows evidence of "invasive tendencies".

Those who want a somewhat of a layman's explanation click below:

A Vet to the Pet

and

Primary hepatic and biliary tract tumors in dogs and cats: An overview - Veterinary Medicine

For those who are doctors or pretend to be one on TV, the report is attached below.

We have not yet had a chance to sit down with the vet oncologist, but will next week. I suspect the topic of Chemo or other treatments will come up as this form of cancer has a tendency to spread to the lymph nodes and lungs...

I was hoping the call from the vet would say "it was benign" but I was too hopeful. It looks like we will need to make some hard decisions and weigh the future treatments versus her projected lifespan and quality of life for her remaining time with us.

I'm really confused at reading all I could get my hands on... I think I read that this cancer is known to spread and will spread, eventually, bit I'm not clear if the tumor is removed is there a chance that it doesn't come back? I'm so confused and stricken with shock I can't think straight....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bandit Results.pdf (102.5 KB, 85 views)
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 02-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #192
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Our hearts go out to you and to your Furbaby...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #193

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm sorry the news wasn't better. Here's my advice - stop reading the internet! I went through the same thing, and when I talked to the oncologist she said there's so much bad and conflicting information, you're just confusing and torturing yourself, and no two cases are the same. Just try to relax and enjoy Bandit's company and spend time with her, and wait until you can talk to the oncologist. We ultimately had two oncologist we worked with, the first one did diagnosis and surgery, and the second specialized in the follow-up therapies. When I talked to them I felt much more confident, because everything I read was so confusing, but they were both very on top of the latest treatments and knew what they were doing. Hopefully your oncologist will be just as competent and they can help you figure out the best way to handle this for bandit's remaining time, however long that may be. I hope it's for a while longer.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #194
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit View Post
Thanks to all who have kept Bandit in their prayers or thoughts. We truly appreciate the support and kind words.

Bandit's incision is healing up nicely. She doesn't even mess with it at all so we don't have to use the cone head "E-collar", which really makes her happier....
Keep hope in your Heart... and know that all our Hearts are with you.

We also went thru the "cone" thing. Our first Portuguese, "Bo", would not tolerate it.

I came up with this, "Bo's Bucket".

We miss him so....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img069.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	76043  
Old 02-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #195
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Keep hope in your Heart... and know that all our Hearts are with you.

We also went thru the "cone" thing. Our first Portuguese, "Bo", would not tolerate it.

I came up with this, "Bo's Bucket".

We miss him so....
You can't see his face, but the cat was laughing at Bo. I just know it.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #196
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
You can't see his face, but the cat was laughing at Bo. I just know it.

Bo found AC (alley cat) abandoned in a nearby back alley when we lived in the city years ago. AC was about 4wks old. They were best buddies. When Bo died at 13yrs, AC followed about 6mos later. He was a lost soul without his friend and I know their playing together now.
What would life be like without these memories?
Old 02-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #197
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Those are indeed the best memories.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #198
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Well, its been a while since I've been on the forums. Reason was mostly due to Bandit the Siberian getting the Cancer diagnosis and subsequent surgery.

The good news is that she has recovered from her surgery without issue.
The bad is that she still has cancer, but given the type of cancer she has, and the little effectiveness chemo has on her, we have decided not to pursue any chemo or radiation for her, but to make her as happy and comfortable as she could be for whatever time we have with her. We have started her on Peroxicam, which is an anti-inflammatory that has shown "some" help in "some" cancers of "some" dogs, by limiting the blood vessel growth to the tumors and thus slowing any growths, even reducing tumor sizes in "some" dogs. Since the medication is really an anti-inflammatory, her arthritis in her hips have also gone away and she now jumps and runs around like she did months or even a year ago. Quality of life is what we are after and I think we will achieve that with her on this path.

The Ugly is that "G", our min pin shown in the beginning of this thread was diagnosed with kidney failure a week after Bandit got back from Surgery. When it rains, it pours at our house....

There is no treatment for renal failure, so diet change and keeping her hydrated and happy are the only things we can do. Like Bandit, the goal is Quality of life and we hope we can achieve that for her too. It has been a challenge to get her to like the "new" food, and knowing that she has less that 25% function left on the kidneys is heartbreaking, as all other organs and functions are fine. We have done some sub-q fluids (at home) as well, but only on an as needed basis.

It sure is a bummer to have 2 "kids" get old in front of our own eyes, and then have then both get sick on you at nearly the same time. We promised we would not be selfish and drag them on, so watching them be "normal" and happy is the only solace we have.

As mentioned before, when it rains, it pours... so last week as many of you in Texas know, hail hit a significant portion of NW Austin. My 6 year old house now needs a complete new roof (totaled) and new skylight as hail cam busting thru the skylight over the kitchen and hail was bouncing off the countertops and appliances. My stainless steel toaster and stove are even dented...

The drama never ends around the Li household lately...
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 04-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #199
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
It makes me sad to think both your babies are struggling. Enjoy your pups, they know how much they are loved.

I started feeding my golden a home made diet developed by a noted veterinary oncologist just after Logan was diagnosed with cancer. That was 20 months ago. He will be competing in an agility trial on Saturday. If you are interested, PM me and I will share the recipe with you. Of course, ask your vets if they think it is beneficial.
I have also contacted a canine nutritionist who develops balanced diets for dogs with all sorts of medical conditions, including kidney disease. She will develop and fine tune a recipe for your dog's unique condition and coordinate with your vet. All diets are balanced according to canine nutritional guidelines.

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quality of life is the main thing, and I'm glad that it is important to you that your kids be comfortable and happy for their time with you. Cherish them and make memories. My thoughts are with you.