Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Unhappy Porcupine & Pets

We were out hiking with our 4 dogs last night when they all found a porcupine! Our little Boston Terriers escaped with just a few quills each- easily pulled out. However the labs were more inquisitive. Our black lab mix got almost 2 dozen quills in his nose and face (none in the eyes). The yellow lab/ pit was much less fortunate- she tried to bite it We had to pull at least 4 or 5 dozen out of her mouth, nose, face, chest, and foot. There were a few quills that broke- so she spent the day at the vet. They sedated her and removed the broken quills. All is better now- and thankfully it was not as bad as it could have been (dogs can die if the porcupine swings its tail at them). The worse part was- while we were trying to pull them off and pull the quills out, they were still trying to get the porcupine. The porcupine was in no hurry and just kinda waddled out of the way- real slow.

I don't have a picture of the event- no camera with me- but here are the dogs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0098.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	57935   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	57936  

Click image for larger version

Name:	7-29-07 049.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	57937   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1057.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	57938  

Old 04-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Good think you were close to a vet...

Many times we camp off the beaten path, or, in unfamiliar places...

I made a "pet first aid kit", just in case....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...aid-37082.html
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Having just given up my dog trainers license (required in WI for possesion of either game birds -DNR license or narcotics, DATCP license, good ole porky's bring back some memories.

My most vivid one was a friends Brittany. If he would have stayed on point things would have been fine. Being young he broke and you know what happened. After the first couple of pulls...I pull the quill, the dog bites me, I pull another quill and the dog bites me again (not that I could totaly blame him!)...I then used my T-shirt as a muzzle. Socks can work as well. Hopefully you will never need those tips.

I am glad your encounter worked out. If you do a lot of boonie hiking get some Panalog or Quadrotp. I recomend the oinment rather than the cream. It is like high strength Neosporin only it also has some steroids in it that will knock down the swelling. Disclaimer---I am not recomending the use of veteranary medicines on humans but....well it is the only type of anti bacti-antifungal ointment I keep in my kit--along with some vet wrap and a couple of salt packets, alcohol wipes and the ussual bandages and a piece of cord and a small hemostadt and a small scissors. What works for you will also provide first aid for the dog & vice versa.

When I was about 10 years old my Grandfather had a Boston Terrier that showed more sense than my cousins hound. They encountered a porky--the Hound got quilled a couple of times, the Boston Terrier seemed to have assesed the situation and just barked at the porcupine. Grampa and my cousin got there and called off the hound then got to the truck and got out the pliers. Some ointment from the first aid kit and a trip to the vet is all I still remember about it...other than my first taste of porcupine (didn't care for it but it wasn't totally repulsive).

By the way...cute dogs!
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Ouch ouch ouch...!

I'll have to keep those first aid tips in mind - my lab would probably go up to a Grizzly Bear and want to play. She'd think a porcupine would make an equally great playmate...

Hope everyone's feeling better!
Old 04-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Wait until he disovers Skunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge
Ouch ouch ouch...!

I'll have to keep those first aid tips in mind - my lab would probably go up to a Grizzly Bear and want to play. She'd think a porcupine would make an equally great playmate...

Hope everyone's feeling better!
I think you lab will have a bit more crunching power than that year old Brittany did...even at the hard nip setting

Wait until he discovers skunks !
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote