Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Hollister , California
Treating my AS to a soft ride

Mr. Newby here with a question. I've just bought a 25 FB Inter. and the TV is an 08 Tundra extended cab/61/2' bed. Am a complete stranger to towing but have had a wonderful experience on this site. My question revolves around multiple posts addressing reduced shock loads to the trailer while towing. I know there are pillow-like airbags that are placed at the rear axle. Do these devices increase spring rate or simply dampen shock loads? If they are a significant help at protecting the AS, does anyone have a recommendation for a particular brand? Also, but off the subject, if one is hooking up at an RV site and the electrical outlet is rated at 50 amps is it safe for my outfit? I assume that there is no higher draw from my trailer than the 30 amp that the ac or other 110v needed. Thanks for your collective help!
Luftnoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftnoggin View Post
Mr. Newby here with a question. I've just bought a 25 FB Inter. and the TV is an 08 Tundra extended cab/61/2' bed. Am a complete stranger to towing but have had a wonderful experience on this site. My question revolves around multiple posts addressing reduced shock loads to the trailer while towing. I know there are pillow-like airbags that are placed at the rear axle. Do these devices increase spring rate or simply dampen shock loads? If they are a significant help at protecting the AS, does anyone have a recommendation for a particular brand? Also, but off the subject, if one is hooking up at an RV site and the electrical outlet is rated at 50 amps is it safe for my outfit? I assume that there is no higher draw from my trailer than the 30 amp that the ac or other 110v needed. Thanks for your collective help!
Air bags and/or air shocks, DEFEAT the purpose of a load equalizing hitch, when the air pressure is above absolute minimum, since they will carry the load and prohibit the hitch bars from transfering that load.

The master circuit breaker for the 120 VAC, is rated at 30 amps, making that the maximum current that can be drawn by the trailer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
There has been lot of discussion about the shock loads. From what I read I could not conclusively say an Air Safe hitch or equiv. or truck airbags would improve the shock loading in the trailer. Most likely the bulk of the shock loading comes through the trailer's own tires and suspension. It may improve the ride in the truck and I can't see it hurting the ride in the trailer. So my thought is money no object, it may help and can't hurt. I didn't modify the suspension in my Tundra and it pulls my 25' smoothly. I'd suggest you try it without modifications.

What I do to minimize shock loads is to drive at the slow end of the spectrum (55-60), run the tires a little lower than some here (55 psi) and replace the tires on a more frequent schedule than some. Balance of the tires is important, research Centramatics. I also attempt to avoid known bad roads, and slow down on unavoidable ones.

To keep it in perspective, there are some users here with very high mileage on their trailers with little or no damage from shock loads. Users who have traveled Alaska highway, or generally the good, bad, and ugly of US roads.

Your 30 amp plug will not fit into a 50 amp outlet. If the site has 50 amp service, there will also be a 30 amp outlet. 30 amp is the most common electrical RV hookup.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
There has been lot of discussion about the shock loads. From what I read I could not conclusively say an Air Safe hitch or equiv. or truck airbags would improve the shock loading in the trailer. It may improve the ride in the truck and I can't see it hurting the ride in the trailer. So my thought is money no object, it may help and can't hurt.

What I do to minimize shock loads is to drive at the slow end of the spectrum (55-60), run the tires a little lower than some here (55 psi) and replace the tires on a more frequent schedule than some. Balance of the tires is important, research Centramatics. I also attempt to avoid known bad roads, and slow down on unavoidable ones.

To keep it in perspective, there are some users here with very high mileage on their trailers with little or no damage from shock loads. Users who have traveled Alaska highway, or generally the good, bad, and ugly of US roads.

Your 30 amp plug will not fit into a 50 amp outlet. If the site has 50 amp service, there will also be a 30 amp outlet. 30 amp is the most common electrical RV hookup.
Some sites only have a 50 amp hookup. For these, you can get a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter, or "dogbone". I keep one in my strorage compartment...have had to use it only twice, but when you need it, you need it.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Welcome to the forum Luftnoggin.

Also, in some older parks there may be only a 20 amp service. An addapter is available.

My experience with air shocks and air bags has been that mine had failure to retain air pressure, in two different vehicles. It's just something else to maintain. I think you will be ok without. And, maybe safer without! The WD hitch is a must have.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just another opinion to be taken with a grain of salt, but reducing tire pressure on your Airstream may give a softer ride, but it opens up the possibility other more serious problems. Checkout numerous forum threads on tire failures to read others' horror stories.

For trailers, Airstream and most tire stores recommend running the maximum rated tire pressure printed on the sidewalls; e.g., LR-D = 65 psi, LR-E = 80 psi. In the southwest desert, I personally wouldn't consider running anything less.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Been trying to understand this since I tow a 25' trailer with a very stiff truck, Dodge 2500. It seems to me the critical component must be the load bars. Sure, the truck rides rough. But that also means it does not displace as much as one with softer springs. I just do not see how reducing the motion of the truck on a bump is going to translate to more load or shock on the trailer. I do see how stiff load bars would put more load back to the trailer frame when going through dips. I do not think you really have to worry much about the truck beating up the trailer if you use the reccomended load bars. If this is dead wrong, I would be glad to have someone explain it to me.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Some sites only have a 50 amp hookup. For these, you can get a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter, or "dogbone". I keep one in my storage compartment...have had to use it only twice, but when you need it, you need it.
Just last week, I put in at a site that had a bad 30a breaker on the post. It was either rehitch and move or use the dogbone adapter. I chose the latter.

When I am pulling a lot of current (AC or heat pump plus water heater), I often use the dogbone and plug in to 50a instead of 30a on the post. That way, if a breaker ever pops, it will be the breaker inside the trailer and not the one on the post. Much more convenient. Also, in hot summer, when the voltage tends to get a bit low, the 50A is usually a volt or two higher.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Just last week, I put in at a site that had a bad 30a breaker on the post. It was either rehitch and move or use the dogbone adapter. I chose the latter.

When I am pulling a lot of current (AC or heat pump plus water heater), I often use the dogbone and plug in to 50a instead of 30a on the post. That way, if a breaker ever pops, it will be the breaker inside the trailer and not the one on the post. Much more convenient. Also, in hot summer, when the voltage tends to get a bit low, the 50A is usually a volt or two higher.
Yup, I've noticed the voltage diff. before too.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Aptos , California
Bag it

Hi Luftnoggin,

We towed our 25fb for three years before I decided to install the airbags (Firestone RideRite). I had a hard time getting the rear of the Tundra high enough with just the weight distribution bars(Equal-i-zer 1000#), and the drag of the bars on the brackets affected the steering. The bags allow more suspension travel, and the ride is quite a bit better, especially over big dips. The airbags will change the weight transfer setting a little, but it's not hard to dial it back in. I also have Rancho adjustable shocks because the factory shocks on the Tundra were pretty weak. It takes a little time to tweak all the variables, but this setup works best for us because we usually carry a lot of gear when we go camping.

Welcome to the forums!

Terry
Rollertoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I tow with an '08 Tundra with the 5.7 V8. I also have the TRD suspension and I have no problems with my set up. I use an Equalizer hitch, 10K bars and have it dialed in lightly. My rear end sits down just a tad over an inch and the front is basically the same as when unhitched. I do not take loads of stuff when camping and my "ride" is smooth. I don't have to deal with open drawers and/or popped rivets.

If I wanted to load more in the bed I might look into the air springs, but for now, I like my setup.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have an 08 sequoia and put the firestone air bags in the rear springs. Two reasons

1: it rides better with ten psi not so much bounce
2: my rear end went down with the trailer and I had to crank the equalizer down hard to get it level which put a lot of stress on the trailer frame.

Also when I put new axles and shocks on the trailer the ride of the tv was a lot better. Didn't feel the bumps and jolts as much.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
My two cents..... don't spend 'em on air-bags.
On a conventional suspension the springs are what control compliance, want a softer ride?, put in softer springs.

Bob
Old 09-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Hollister , California
Air bags

Rollertoaster,
Its me, Luftnoggin, I.e. Air Head! Otherwise known as HM The Dog! Terry, that post was from your friend J. Crowder. Not doing and end run around your input but trying to understand the dynamics of towing and balanced loads! Let's part the wind together in the near future.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Aptos , California
Hi John

I know its you--when you get it all figured out you can explain it to me.
This stuff gets debated endlessly, we can discuss it some more when we go camping. Like your moniker!

Terry
Rollertoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #16
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I'll refine my earlier post.. the Tundra should not be off by much towing a 23. I'm very happy with the way it pulls my 25 in stock condition. I feel no need to make modifications for the way I tow and use the trailer.

Some people love to make adjustments striving for perfection. This can be expensive and frequently not of much real value in the end. It can also be fun and pay off with results once in a while.

I'd take a long hard look about how much you're really going to use the trailer. Most of us forecast lots of use at the beginning but reality sets in. What may be beneficial for 20,000 mile per year heavy user won't be as much value for a typical user. Working for small incremental improvements have less payoff the less you tow.

Give it a try the way it is. On smooth roads it will be silk. On battered roads you're heart will ache for the trailer, but when you stop and open the door it will be OK. Not a whole lot you can do to change the fundamentals of this. Slowing down will probably do the most.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Averted a near disaster!

We have Airlift airbags on our 2010 Tundra that were installed by a local 4 wheel drive specialty store a few months ago. It took 4 trips back to get the job done correctly because one of the bags wouldn't hold air. We are up camping in Santa Barbara County and had pulled into a local store for supplies. Another shopper found my wife and told her he noticed the right rear breakline was rubbing on the leaf spring and looked like it was wearing thru. After looking at it, sure enough it had started eroding the breakline. I believe when the airbags were installed, the bracket that holds the breakline was not properly reinstalled allowing the breakline to rotate and get abraded by the leaf spring. If this good simariten hadn't noticed this, the breakline could have failed catistrofically. The truck goes into the dealer first thing Tuesday for a new breakline. Even if the 4 wheel parts store offered to fix it for free, my truck will never have work done there again. if you get airbags installed, make sure they don't make the same mistake they made on mine.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Hollister , California
Soft ride

Thanks for your replies. Will leave the rig as is for now. Just 15,000 on the Tundra. Eventually upgrade the shocks. Certainly have no complaint with all the towing I've done (all 75 miles so far).
The Dog
Old 09-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The Tundra is a pretty soft riding truck as are other Toyotas. We have an '07 double cab with 6.5' bed and the TRD option (includes Bilstein shocks). We have towed closing in on 40,000 miles with little incident. Some rivets popped in one area over the kitchen early on, but the ones I replaced them with have not popped after many more miles. I think it was the original riveteer doing a bad job. But the combination rides smoothly unless the road is bad.

But your question was about spring rate and air bags. I don't feel we need them. And, you can also add a leaf spring, but whether that is a good or bad idea, I don't know.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote