Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Towing mirrors for BMW X5

Dear x5 owners

I wonder if you could comment what towing mirrors you use on your x5.

I am going to pick up my trailer soon and would like recommendation on good towing mirrors.

Thank you

Joy
spreadmywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I'm interested to see what recommendations you get. I tried buying some "universal fit" mirrors to attach to my MB GL320, but they were pretty much useless. I've gotten used to towing with the factory mirros since then...so far so good...
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I bought these based on recommendation of a fellow GL 350 owner (SafariSS):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are fine, and universal, so should fit X5 as well.

They provide very good view of the sides of the camper. I once tried to tow without them, and realized how poor the visibility had become.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
I purchased the Milenco Grand Aero 3 mirrors for my Mercedes ML350 and have put over 50,000 miles with no issues. Amazon offers them here:
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-DM-29...D4BSVHDCXT8AXC
Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There are three viable alternatives.

The McKesh mirrors sold by Hensley. These are the strap-on style and allow the addition of a fisheye mirror as well if that is your taste. Big size, but you have to deal with straps. Still a great solution.

The BMW OEM mirrors - get them from Europe on the internet. A bit of a hassle, but they are supposed to be quite good. Believe the E53 and E70 OEMs are available here in the states. It's only the F15 that have to be ordered.

Then there are the Aero 2s. We like them, they vibrate some and are a bit small, but they fit well and give you a reasonable view. Available locally off the shelf, so a good temporary solution while you consider others. Might just be a permanent solution.

Suggest a rear view camera for the back of the trailer as well. It all helps.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Thank you pat.

I do consider a camera for the back of the trailer. I have camera on my x5.

Any suggestion on the camera on the trailer? Haven't got a chance to research on that one yet
spreadmywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There is a thread.

We like the Voyager, and want the 7 in screen. It's a bit pricy. The 5 in screen is not so bad. Our local Camping World has a demo on the floor. No one seems to be unhappy with them except for price.

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/fleet-...FVQAvAodbQsASA

The Rearview Safety folks have some interesting systems. Our local dealer had one of theirs as a special. We are running one that we ordered at about $250. It works, but has some issues that make it less than optimal. We mounted the camera inside on the rear window and it gets moisture that makes the image fuzzy. Also a bad glare at night. Likely would be much better performer if mounted high and outside.

Good luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
An alternative for BMW OEM is buying EMUK mirrors. EMUK is simply OE manufacturer for BMW. I needed to import my mirrors for E70 from Europe as the deader said the product is not available in the US. Again, alternatively, can be bought in Canada.

For camera I went with Garmin RV GPS with an optional camera. I wanted to have RV GPS, so just wanted to use the screen for the camera...
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongShot View Post
I purchased the Milenco Grand Aero 3 mirrors for my Mercedes ML350 and have put over 50,000 miles with no issues. Amazon offers them here:

Just getting started on our 50K but love the GA 3's. Fit nicely, very stable easy to add & remove. The clamps I'm sure are universal, but check the gap between the mirror and the casing. Seems the website had a min spec. Mine fits but barely. I'd buy again.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
Milenco is the only way to go. Superior to all alternatives.
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
Milenco

Milenco, I bought them a couple of years ago for my ML 350 (2014), and they have been great. Stable, good views, little vibration, and easy to put on and remove. No scratching, I really like them.

Firt couple of trips I did without extension mirrors, not terrible, but limited view behind. I decided I needed something better.
I tried a couple of other types earlier, but with the design and rounding of the mirrors on the MB, nothing fit or was stable enough. One nice thing, is the way they mount, they easily move in and out with the automatic folding mirrors.
A happy customer.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Another vote for Millenco areo. I have 20,000 miles with them on our Jeep GC EcoDiesel and 23 FC and they work great. Just be VERY sure they are tight and check screws frequently, esp on rough roads. Try to mount on flatest surface of mirror for most contact with the screw mounts.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #13
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
The McKesh mirrors sold by Hensley. These are the strap-on style and allow the addition of a fisheye mirror as well if that is your taste. Big size, but you have to deal with straps. Still a great solution.

Travel safe. Pat
IMHO, factory mirrors are the best solution.

If you can get factory towing mirrors which meet the states' Towing regs for rearward visibility, then that's probably your best bet. CA has some specifics on how far behind your trailer you must be able to see, & each state has their own. So check your home state's laws, as well as those where you will be traveling.

Otherwise, I agree with Pat on the McKesh, & we got a set with the round convex "fisheye" on it, which we plan to use on a Porsche Cayenne when we find "the right one." They allow you to pull them out quite wide to see around & behind our 7'-9" w. "fat silver twinkie" `60 Avion, so they'd work well with the wider "modern" AS's as well..

https://hensleymfg.com/product/mckes...owing-mirrors/

We'd used them initially on rented Nissan Pathfinders to excellent effect, but we don't need it on the F250's with pull-out mirrors which we're renting now as we look for a Cayenne S.

I tried the strap on the mirror type initially, but the wiggled & jiggled so much that they were useless & gave me a headache trying to look at them! Totally useless IMHO!

IIRC the Porsche Cayenne's Euro towing mirrors were similar strap on type for the fenders anyway, but I preferred the door mount where they can be adjusted easily by driver & passenger, & are closer for better visibility.

If the BMW factory towing mirrors are the same set-up, then I'd recco the McKesh instead for the same reasons.

Cheers!
Tom
////////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:20 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Victoria Harbour , Ontario
mirrors and rear view camera

Another vote for milenco. I purchased a set to replace the CIPA mirrors I previously purchased to use on my GL350. The CIPA mirrors were ok but were prone to coming loose while underway. In one instance, one of the rubber straps came loose and before I could find a spot to stop, the plastic clip fell off rendering the mirror unusable.

I have been pleased with the Milenco mirrors, but do not really need them now as we tow with a one ton GM Duramax van and have good rearward visibility with the stock mirrors.

There are several good threads about rear view cameras. I purchased a wireless package from Tadi Brothers. It works well, even over 50' from dash of van to rear window of 35' Airstream.

Neil
nevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:34 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Indianapolis , Indiana
Good morning. I have an X5 and I use the K-Source clip on towing mirrors. They work good for me. Because I have a Sport, the OEM mirrors work good also. I use the clip-on's to look further down the road or when I am backing in they give me a little bit better view. You can get them at a NAPA Auto Parts store.
Jim Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
I used the Milenco for my Range Rover for a year until I upgraded TV. Like new and available. PM me if interested.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:30 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
I used the McKesh mirrors with our BMW X5 but have recently purchased a new truck with built-in mirrors and no longer need them. You can have mine if you want. Send me a private message if you are interested.