Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Delaware , Ohio
Towing a 30 fcloud with f150

What type of braking system will I need to tow my 30 flying cloud. I have a 2wd f150. Also I have a receiver for a Reese hitch, what would you tow with

What is a good price to pay for each

Thanks
ret155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
You will need a brake controller in your F150. That's a little box that talks to your trailer brakes and activates them in proportion to the brake pressure applied to the brakes in your tow vehicle. Ideally, a properly setup rig will have a slightly shorter stopping distance when towing than the tow vehicle has when braking on its own.

Modern brake controllers contain an accelerometer - this tells the machine the rate of deceleration happening and allows for a more fine-tuned braking experience. Most accelerometer brake measure acceleration and angle, which allows the unit to adjust for severity of braking, angle of decent or accent, and also speed.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As far as a trailer brake controller, I would go with a Tekonsha P3. It's about the best one out there. Towing a 9,000# Airstream with any half ton truck is going to warrant top notch towing equipment and meticulous set up.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Delaware , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
You will need a brake controller in your F150. That's a little box that talks to your trailer brakes and activates them in proportion to the brake pressure applied to the brakes in your tow vehicle. Ideally, a properly setup rig will have a slightly shorter stopping distance when towing than the tow vehicle has when braking on its own.

Modern brake controllers contain an accelerometer - this tells the machine the rate of deceleration happening and allows for a more fine-tuned braking experience. Most accelerometer brake measure acceleration and angle, which allows the unit to adjust for severity of braking, angle of decent or accent, and also speed.
Thanks for the info
Old 10-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
You did not mention if the truck was setup with a towing package (factory trailer wiring, trailer hitch receiver, towing mirrors etc.). To provide more help, we need to know the engine model, automatic or manual transmission, rear end ratio and GVW of the truck and it's suggested payload. If a frame mounted hitch receiver is on the truck, we need to know the rating of the hitch both with an without a weight distributing hitch. A bumper hitch is not sufficient to pull this large and heavy a unit.

The trailer has a GVW of 8,800 pounds which cold cause a light duty F150 to be too heavy as a combination of truck and trailer per the specifications plate on the truck.

There should be a net payload notation somewhere on the truck that states the maximum payload of the truck. You are starting with an empty trailer tongue weight of 880 pounds at the factory without water, clothing equipment, hitch head, and perhaps propane on board. It would be conceivable that the tongue weight would be as much as 1,200 pounds (it was 1,200 pounds on my 2013 25FB International Serenity ready to camp). That is part of the payload.

You will need to take the truck to a set of CAT scales (truck stop scales) and get the weight on both axles (and thus the total empty weight of both axle weights added together) with the truck full of fuel and the driver on board. This is your base weight. Subtract that number for the total weight from the maximum GVW on the door label. You now have your target payload. From that remove the weight of your companion, all the stuff that will be inside the pickup cab and in the bed of the pickup and the tongue weight of the trailer. If the number goes negative, then the payload is not sufficient to load the gear and attach the trailer to that vehicle.

Tekonsa makes a wireless brake controller if the truck is not prewired for towing. I used one with my Mercedes and it worked okay.

I would suggest chatting with the Hensley and ProPride folks to learn about their hitches. A light truck will need all the help it can get towing a 30' 8,800 pound loaded trailer and these designs are true antisway devices.

Start reading the towing threads and you will start to get the idea there is slighly more to towing than meets the eye.

Welcome aboard, lots of information here and opinions. Some opinions are better than others.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Our setup is a 2009 F150 2X4 with a ProPride hitch towing a 34' Airstream. When we originally got the truck, it had the "tow" package, but not the brake controller. I went online and purchased the Ford controller from a dealer in NJ, installed it, then had to go to my local dealer so they could update the onboard computer to recognize that the controller was now installed.

I have towed the trailer with both a Reese hitch and the ProPride, and the ProPride makes all of the difference. Many here on the forums will say that I am under trucked for the size/weight of our trailer. (as loaded for camping, we are just under 8000#). The ProPride makes all the difference. That said, the vehicle has a lot to do with it as well. You didn't mention what year your F150 is. I had a 1997 prior to the 2009. The '97 would not have been capable of towing the trailer where as the 2009 does it with ease. Send me a PM if you want more information about our setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030006.jpg
Views:	1308
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	198504  
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The ProPride or Hensley hitch is the best thing one can do for towing stability; we switched to one on a half-ton short wheelbase Ram and the difference is night and day. 1400# weight distribution bars on it will ensure adequate weight distribution.

Their are other factors concerning payload, engine/transmission, tires, year/make/model of the truck and how you plan to load truck and trailer that must be known to make a recommendation.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Delaware , Ohio
Great info, we are getting this in dec. so I have much to find out. My 2008 f150 has the 5.4 v8. It came with the Reece hitch receiver and the two electric plug ins so I assume it is the towing package but I will double check. I am going to do some research on the propride hitch. I never heard of it. We are trading in our RV so I have much to relearn about towing. I towed a 19 AS in the early 80's with a chevelle. I am sure this will be different. You have been a great help so far and any future help would be greatly appreciated. Also what is a PM. That's a new one. Thank you so much
Mark m
Old 10-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
ret155, i tow our 30' Classic with a 1500 Silverado with a 5.3 engine. However, when I ordered the truck in '05, I wanted the tallest rear end I could get and that was a 3.73. It really helps a lot and I would have gotten a 4.11 had it been available at that time. I pull fairly easily and travel at the speed limit. My truck has 100,000 miles on it so I don't try to get anyone off the line but accelerate fairly quickly up to the speed limit. I allow plenty of room for braking as I believe that is the weakest link in the safety chain of towing with any vehicle. My 30' grosses at 10k but is loaded at around 8,700. Towing in mountains of Tennessee is slower than I would like but short of having a diesel, it's a minimum of 45 MPH. Downhill is cautious and careful and I don't try for the speed limit of 55 MPH on some of the hills with multiple curves. If your truck has a high ratio rear end, you should be OK, if not that would be my suggested change and make sure you have aggressive brake pads installed which wear more quickly but have better grip. My $.02 worth and hope it helps.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
I have a question

Whats the price on that hitch? How do you add it.

Me and my hubby will buy soon our tow vehicle and I'm VERY impressed that the 2009 can tow. Whats the tow package on your truck also?
I'd like all you have so any info would help

Thanks in advance
Happydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
A Private Message PM may be sent by clicking on a persons name in the data box on a post. From the drop down menu select PM.

The prices for the ProPride are on their website. Trailer Sway Elimination | Sway Control | Truck RV Trailer Hitch Accessories | ProPride, Inc.

My axle is a 3.55LS (limited slip) The brake controller is the unit available from Ford. This was the "tow package" from Ford in 2009
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote