Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Seven pin wire question

Here is the blue wires (brakes on truck) and a diagram of the wire hook ups. Can I wire these two blue wires into the places (even though there might be another wire there) and it will work?
The two blue wires are not yet connected...the lights are though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0123.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	152658   Click image for larger version

Name:	TUNE IT.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	152659  

Old 03-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Billy,

On our 63 Safari the wiring did not match the newer diagrams. Test the male connector on the trailer,(test light) to make sure the brake wire is in the correct position. If not just change it and write down your own diagram.

Bob
Old 03-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR-Quarius View Post
Here is the blue wires (brakes on truck) and a diagram of the wire hook ups. Can I wire these two blue wires into the places (even though there might be another wire there) and it will work?
I don't completely understand your question. Robert Cross is right though.
Now tow vehicles and trailer 7 way plugs are industry standard. In 1970 they were not. Blue on your tow vehicle is probably brakes. It is on my Ford. The brake wires on your trailer are probably yellow. Your 7 way trailer plug won't match up with the correct terminal on the truck unless one or the other has been rewired. There are other threads on the topic.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Today's color codes for the 7 wires are different than when the vintage Airstreams were built. You can ignore the colors--what's important is to make sure you wire each function to the appropriate pin. Here's the pinout for the original Airstream connector on the trailer:

Name:	Airstream connector--drawing.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	152663

Why are there two blue wires coming out of your female socket on the truck? Are they Both connected to the same pin (pin #2)? There should only be one brake power line coming from your brake controller and this line should go to pin 2. This is the current standard for the 7-pin connector with the old color code, if different, in parentheses:

Name:	bargman 7-pin drawing.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	152664

This is another version of the same information. Note that the color code is different than the one pictured in your post (where did purple come from, one might ask?).

Name:	7-Pin wiring.jpg
Views:	2658
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	152665

Zep
Old 03-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR-Quarius View Post
Using a connector for the trailer, that has flat blades, is not a very good idea.

One grain of sand, will stop a good connection.

Also, in time, it will corrode, especially on high current terminals such as the brakes, charge line and ground.

Then, it must be cleaned and cleaned and cleaned again and again.

Using the round terminal type connector, never has the same issues, since the terminals are called "aircraft type".

It self cleans every time you connect or disconnect it.

Costs a little more, but beyond comparison, because of it's superiority.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
re: "Using the round terminal type connector, never has the same issues, since the terminals are called "aircraft type"."

These must be the types used in the trucking industry and as used by Airstream in the 70's? They are much more rugged that the current standard it seems to me so I wonder why it is that the flat blade design became the de-facto modern standard in RV's.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
re: "Using the round terminal type connector, never has the same issues, since the terminals are called "aircraft type"."

These must be the types used in the trucking industry and as used by Airstream in the 70's? They are much more rugged that the current standard it seems to me so I wonder why it is that the flat blade design became the de-facto modern standard in RV's.
Easy answer.

Because they are CHEAP.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
If you have to be towed due to a breakdown, the tow truck aint gonna have a flat pin connector. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Well- for an update for you guys (and gals) - I ended up going back to the exact person who built the adapter for another truck I had. He - I found out is the fire marshal for this city. He climbed under my truck and traced through the wires and finally found the brake wire at the rear. He told me he had put some scotch tape around one of the blue wires to tell him which one was the brake wire, and sure enough there was the tape. So he said after a few tests that I can 'mainline' those two wires together and the connection would be made. But I am going back to him one more time this morning to write down what he was saying. But in this photo, this is the place where the blue truck wire showed up at.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0238.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	454.0 KB
ID:	153340