Old 01-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #15
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
A lot of the technology is transferable between different sized vehicles. We aren't talking exclusively autonomous here, just he steady progress of technology into more and more vehicles of all sizes. I watched a 240 ton mining truck operate autonomously in a 2009 demo (manufacturer field demo). In between the mining truck runs, they ran a Ford Explorer using the same technology. They used it as the development mule.

Jeff

Old 01-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #16
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I think one of the technologies that will have great applicability to tow vehicles and which will become commonplace first is active cruise control. Vehicles are already measuring distance to the vehicle in front and actively maintaining a safe distance depending on road speed. Automakers are planning vehicle to vehicle communication in vehicles on the market in 2017, based on new standards now published.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #17
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
Its the middle of winter...wouldn't it make so much more sense to spend our time/efforts on planning our 2016 spring trips and summer vacations with TVs that exist??? I usually see some to a lot of value/interest in the various forum topics....I see absolutely nothing applicable to our current state of affairs in this one. jon
My current vehicle has no autonomous capabilities, although it does have a lot of technology on board. I fully expect my next vehicle to have some autonomous capabilities (references to the Borg and "Resistance is Futile" notwithstanding).

Jeff
Old 01-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
Its the middle of winter...wouldn't it make so much more sense to spend our time/efforts on planning our 2016 spring trips and summer vacations with TVs that exist??? I usually see some to a lot of value/interest in the various forum topics....I see absolutely nothing applicable to our current state of affairs in this one. jon
Is anyone forcing you to read or participate? I skip over lots of topics that don't interest me but don't begrudge others their interests.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Ahhh..you're right, Cameron. I guess I should just keep my thoughts to myself. safe travels. jon
Old 01-06-2016, 11:12 PM   #20
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Our TV has adaptive Cruise control. It's a very convenient capability. The Tesla is supposed to have a bit more self driving capability in the works with a lane control function. All steps toward the autopilot function. It will take some time, but it will come. Now what would be the bees knees is electric drive/regenerative braking and all wheel steering. Proximity sensors, radar, cameras, pattern recognition and an integrated control program with universal compatibility just might complete the package. Never have to worry about burning up the brakes downhill, have all the torque for hill climbing and cruise the flatland with perpetual motion like efficiency. I wonder how long it will take. Pat
Old 01-07-2016, 02:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
If you've ever lived in a city with forty thousand college students then you already know that vehicles drive themselves. It's the only reason I can see that there aren't more accidents.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:11 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
1976 25' Caravanner
trenton , Missouri
No self driving TV for me. The open road, hand draped over the wheel,AC on and looking back in the mirror at the silver bird equals half the fun of Airstreaming. What's happening to the American spirit?
Old 01-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimpy View Post
No self driving TV for me. The open road, hand draped over the wheel,AC on and looking back in the mirror at the silver bird equals half the fun of Airstreaming. What's happening to the American spirit?
I don't mind driving either, but I have to admit that the open road, hand draped around a cold drink, AC on, and looking out any window sounds like a good time too.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #24
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
It's an inevitable. For as much as people complain about our jobs going oversea's the statistics actually say robots have replaced more people than jobs going overseas in manufacturing. And it's predicted that automated trucking will be the next big thing.

Companies could save millions getting rid of truck drivers and replacing them with trucks that can drive nonstop from point A to point B without human error.

Politicians and crazy environmentalist and even the insurance industry love the idea of taking you out of the equation. Politicians and insurance people are already working together in a big money making ploy involving the future of self-driving cars. The idea there is once they are proven safer, start penalizing and taxing everyone who doesn't convert. WSJ has done a whole article on this.

But you'll see this really take off in commercial industries first before it spreads down to consumers. Most of you aren't going to be here, so why worry? Talking 20-30yrs out.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:55 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
<< Most of you aren't going to be here, so why worry? >>
thanks BA, for the info and the cold, hard reality check.
8^)
Old 01-12-2016, 08:46 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
1998 34' Excella 1000
Apache Junction , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Fortunately this is of only academic interest to me, since I am a fallible human approaching my expiration date.
Lucky you!! I just checked and I'm way past my "USE BY:" date. I may not be here to see how this works out.