Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Nine days away from launch...

We've taken our loaded 28-foot International for a test spin using our 2012 5.7L Tundra 4wd as the TV. The dealer service guy said as long as I'm planning on only adding two Honda EU2000i generators to the bed, I should be okay without air bags. Can the Tundra owners tell me if you think I need a transmission cooler? I don't have any hills here in Orange County, California and we're planning on exploring full-time the western states on both sides of the Rockies. I don't plan on rushing things once we're on the road so I won't be asking for heavy demands on the Tundra but still was wondering if you think I need a cooler in the long run.

If it comes down to me needing a cooler, and I'm running out of time here, where is a good place out of state to have one installed? Do I go to a Toyota dealer and pay top dollar for the install or is there somewhere else I can go and get it installed at a lesser cost? I don't know how difficult it is to install a cooler.

Thanks,

Jeff
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I would suggest a cooler, if your Tundra did not have the HD towing package from the factory. They are not hard to install at all. I would look for an off road shop or performance shop. Anybody can install, but you generally find more options and perhaps a better quality install at some of these specialty shops.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
If your TV did not come equipped with a tow package I would add the cooler if I were in your shoes. Adding a transmission cooler is a DIY project if you have a few basic tools and an hour or two. I added a Hayden unit to our SuperCrew which did not come equipped with a factory tow package. The Hayden unit has served us well and installation was a 30 minute job on our rig once I added mounting brackets; the Hayden plastic mounting doo-hickies did not inspire my confidence.

Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 405 Ultra-Cool Tube and Fin Transmission Cooler: Automotive

I cut the OEM steel tranny lines and used compression fittings to plumb the new cooler in line. The only issue I had was that I originally used brass compression fittings and they leaked slightly. I switched to steel fittings and the leaks were cured.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Thanks dznf0g and Kevin for the input and experience. That sounds like a relatively easy or inexpensive addition.
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote