Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Harrison , Arkansas
New Guy/Guidance needed

Hello again, I purchased a Suburban 2500 4x4, about to take a look at 1981 camper, Silver Streak, weight appx 5900, unless I find unexpected issues, will probably buy. Thinking of using Pro Series 49904 weight distribution kit. Learning as I go, don’t want to get this part wrong...Appreciate all input. Thank you.
Bhowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowl View Post
Hello again, I purchased a Suburban 2500 4x4, about to take a look at 1981 camper, Silver Streak, weight appx 5900, unless I find unexpected issues, will probably buy. Thinking of using Pro Series 49904 weight distribution kit. Learning as I go, don’t want to get this part wrong...Appreciate all input. Thank you.
You probably don't need, nor want, a weight distribution hitch for that vehicle. Check your tow vehicle front/rear weight distribution, unloaded. If the front is more than 50% then the trailer hitch load will improve your tow vehicle's weight distribution and improve your rear wheel traction and handling. A weight distribution hitch will add excess weight to the front axle, where you don't want it, and to the trailer axle where you don't want it either.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard!! 🥂👍

How long is the SS, single or double axle?
I had no trouble towing a 22' single axle AS with a friction bar WD hitch.
Both our '95 & '06 2500 Burbs have been more than capable.
How long will your pick-up tow be?

Snip...'"A weight distribution hitch will add excess weight to the front axle, where you don't want it, and to the trailer axle where you don't want it either."

Explain please...how is it "excess" if it's within spec's and the WD is set correctly?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-03-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Your 2500 Suburban will pull 5900lbs well no matter which weight distribution hitch you pick. Just make sure the one you go with has provisions for sway control. Some of the more expensive hitch set ups incorporate the sway control and weight distribution into a single system. Most of the less expensive hitches incorporate a friction sway bar that simply connects the truck side of the hitch to the a frame of the trailer via 2 small ball connections. Some people run dual sway bars some run singles.

I run that very hitch with a single sway bar behind a Ford expedition. It levels out the tow vehicle and keeps sway to tolerable levels when properly set up.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
'"A weight distribution hitch will add excess weight to the front axle, where you don't want it, and to the trailer axle where you don't want it either."

Explain please...how is it "excess" if it's within spec's and the WD is set correctly?
🇺🇸
Your ideal weight distribution for the tow vehicle, and for any vehicle for that matter, is 50/50. If you are too light on the rear wheels you may not have enough traction there.This is particularly bad if you trailer starts to sway. A weight distribution hitch should not be used to remove weight from the rear wheels if the rear axle is already too lightly loaded. Another problem is that the W/D hitch will take some tow vehicle weight and put it onto the trailer axle. Many Airstream axles/tires are not capable of very much load.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Harrison , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
You probably don't need, nor want, a weight distribution hitch for that vehicle. Check your tow vehicle front/rear weight distribution, unloaded. If the front is more than 50% then the trailer hitch load will improve your tow vehicle's weight distribution and improve your rear wheel traction and handling. A weight distribution hitch will add excess weight to the front axle, where you don't want it, and to the trailer axle where you don't want it either.
Thanks Out of Sight, do I check front and rear axle weight by going to weigh station and 1)weighing front on scale, 2)weighing full vehicle on scale, 3)subtract 1 from 2 to get front weight, the remaining= rear weight? Or do I simply use factory numbers on driver door sticker?
Old 03-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Harrison , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Argosy View Post
Your 2500 Suburban will pull 5900lbs well no matter which weight distribution hitch you pick. Just make sure the one you go with has provisions for sway control. Some of the more expensive hitch set ups incorporate the sway control and weight distribution into a single system. Most of the less expensive hitches incorporate a friction sway bar that simply connects the truck side of the hitch to the a frame of the trailer via 2 small ball connections. Some people run dual sway bars some run singles.

I run that very hitch with a single sway bar behind a Ford expedition. It levels out the tow vehicle and keeps sway to tolerable levels when properly set up.
Thank you Rivet Master. What is the weight of your trailer? What is front / rear axle weight on your tow vehicl? Appreciate you taking time to help me understand this stuff. Definitely not part of my skill set...
Old 03-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Harrison , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I had no trouble towing a 22' single axle AS with a friction bar WD hitch.
Both our '95 & '06 2500 Burbs have been more than capable.
How long will your pick-up tow be?

Snip...'"A weight distribution hitch will add excess weight to the front axle, where you don't want it, and to the trailer axle where you don't want it either."

Bob
����
Hi Robert, and thanks. The SS is 33 ft. Double axle. I will be lightening the load by downsizing interior significantly..I have no need for oven, four burner stovetop, large fridge, probably 1/2 the cabinetry, or ability to sleep more than 2. I sleep, write, work on my computer, travel pretty light.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:09 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Harrison , Arkansas
Gypsydad ...Mollysdad ..would love your insight here, if possible. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
...Mollysdad ..would love your insight here, if possible. Thank you!
I'm honored!
The hitch you selected will do a fine job. I choose an Equalizer Hitch because it's what so many AS dealers install. It also has the sway control built in, although it creaks like crazy at parking lot speed.
I've been to rallies and saw everything imaginable.
As long as the hitch is suited for your tongue weight, and trailer weight. Don't go over and don't go under.
Any hitch will require some fine tuning. Either changing links or moving the ball mount up or down a hole.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote