Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2017, 07:57 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
"(My worst nightmare is that I die and my wife sells my guns for what I told her I paid for them)"

Have your widow contact me; I'll give your guns a GOOD home!

Yes, by Federal standards, a Ford F-350 IS a LDT (Light Duty Truck or, as the HDT crowd likes to say; a LGT ~ Little Girly Truck )

Federal Truck Classifications go by a vehicle's GVWR:
Class 1, 2, 3 = Light Duty
1: 0~6000 lbs GVWR
2: 6001~10,000 lbs 2A: 6001~8,500 lbs; 2B: 8,501~10,000 Lbs
3: 10,001~14,000 lbs

Class 4, 5, 6 = Medium Duty
4: 14,001~16,000 lbs
5: 16,001~19,500 lbs
6: 19,501~26,000 lbs

Class 7, 8 = Heavy Duty (HDTs usually require at least a Class B driver’s license and an Air Brakes endorsement).
7: 26,001~33,000 lbs
8: 33,001 and up

NOTE: Duty CYCLE is RARELY mentioned. A HDT's duty cycle is 24/7; it can safely be run CONTINUOUSLY (although that rarely happens) and, the life expectancy of the engine & drive train is 1,000,000 miles! The duty cycle and life expectancy for MDTs and LDTs are less and much less. For most people, duty cycle may not be important BUT, if you do (or expect to) drive hard for extended periods, duty cycle IS something you need to consider.

NOTE: The GVWR is different from the CVWR (Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) The CVWR is a frequently ignored number. The CVWR can vary considerably between two seemingly identical trucks. Buyers need to CAREFULLY note ALL the factors BEFORE they sign the contract (salesmen have been known to lie about a truck's abilities/capacities).

If this sounds like a confusing topic, it IS. That said, educate yourself before spending tens of thousands of dollars and then finding out you didn't get what you expected. The Escapees HDT (and MDT) Forum are excellent resources. The HDT group runs great East Cost and National Rallies where EVERYONE is welcome. The seminars alone are worth the trip. In 2016, there were almost as many "newbies" there to learn as there were current HDT owners. Newbies had the opportunity to actually drive a Class-8 HDT! Most are surprised at how easy HDTs are to drive.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
When many talk of TVs, they first and foremost talk of power as you have asked about. Of course that is important, which, for our bigger trailers, a 3/4 ton truck or SUV with diesel power is the best ticket. Another conversation is always about what the TV itself is capable of pulling and how much can be carried in the bed. On the issue of the lighter capacity TV, the conversation then turns to which WD hitch is best to redistribute the trailer tongue weight and get that Truck or SUV back level. I would just ask you to look at the springs/suspension and brakes on, say, a 1/2 ton and compare them to a 3/4 or One ton vehicle. That visual inspection should answer part of your question on TOO much TV. Also, something that is not talked about is what we are doing to our trailers when we crank down on a weight distribution hitch to correct for a wimpy tow vehicle. That lift does not come free. The trailer axles must pick up the load. A lot of blame about rough trailer ride is placed on trailer tires and air pressure of same with no thought of added WD hitch weight. Also, written here are a couple of comments about trailer popped rivets caused by stiff TV springs. I think to be a valid blame on the stiff TV suspension issue, one would have to look into The WD hitch pressure also.
Just my thoughts. Either way, lots of power and lots of suspension is a good thing. On short State Park trips, I pull the 30 with the Chevy 2500 on a plane ball. All other times with the Equalizer/100 pound bars, I use very little distribution pressure. The 2500 just does not need it. Never a popped rivet, never pillows or anything else thrown around and all tires are 80 psi.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
When many talk of TVs, they first and foremost talk of power as you have asked about. Of course that is important, which, for our bigger trailers, a 3/4 ton truck or SUV with diesel power is the best ticket. Another conversation is always about what the TV itself is capable of pulling and how much can be carried in the bed. On the issue of the lighter capacity TV, the conversation then turns to which WD hitch is best to redistribute the trailer tongue weight and get that Truck or SUV back level. I would just ask you to look at the springs/suspension and brakes on, say, a 1/2 ton and compare them to a 3/4 or One ton vehicle. That visual inspection should answer part of your question on TOO much TV. Also, something that is not talked about is what we are doing to our trailers when we crank down on a weight distribution hitch to correct for a wimpy tow vehicle. That lift does not come free. The trailer axles must pick up the load. A lot of blame about rough trailer ride is placed on trailer tires and air pressure of same with no thought of added WD hitch weight. Also, written here are a couple of comments about trailer popped rivets caused by stiff TV springs. I think to be a valid blame on the stiff TV suspension issue, one would have to look into The WD hitch pressure also.
Just my thoughts. Either way, lots of power and lots of suspension is a good thing. On short State Park trips, I pull the 30 with the Chevy 2500 on a plane ball. All other times with the Equalizer/100 pound bars, I use very little distribution pressure. The 2500 just does not need it. Never a popped rivet, never pillows or anything else thrown around and all tires are 80 psi.

Yup.

And the other thing NOT talked about (but should be) is the item being TOWED.
If you select a lighter/shorter trailer ...you don't need a big honkin' truck to pull it. MATCH the TV with the AS! (The Long Long Trailer movie with Desi and Lucy comes to mind.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:06 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
"(My worst nightmare is that I die and my wife sells my guns for what I told her I paid for them)"

Have your widow contact me; I'll give your guns a GOOD home!

Yes, by Federal standards, a Ford F-350 IS a LDT (Light Duty Truck or, as the HDT crowd likes to say; a LGT ~ Little Girly Truck )

Federal Truck Classifications go by a vehicle's GVWR:
Class 1, 2, 3 = Light Duty
1: 0~6000 lbs GVWR
2: 6001~10,000 lbs 2A: 6001~8,500 lbs; 2B: 8,501~10,000 Lbs
3: 10,001~14,000 lbs

Class 4, 5, 6 = Medium Duty
4: 14,001~16,000 lbs
5: 16,001~19,500 lbs
6: 19,501~26,000 lbs

Class 7, 8 = Heavy Duty (HDTs usually require at least a Class B driver’s license and an Air Brakes endorsement).
7: 26,001~33,000 lbs
8: 33,001 and up

NOTE: Duty CYCLE is RARELY mentioned. A HDT's duty cycle is 24/7; it can safely be run CONTINUOUSLY (although that rarely happens) and, the life expectancy of the engine & drive train is 1,000,000 miles! The duty cycle and life expectancy for MDTs and LDTs are less and much less. For most people, duty cycle may not be important BUT, if you do (or expect to) drive hard for extended periods, duty cycle IS something you need to consider.

NOTE: The GVWR is different from the CVWR (Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) The CVWR is a frequently ignored number. The CVWR can vary considerably between two seemingly identical trucks. Buyers need to CAREFULLY note ALL the factors BEFORE they sign the contract (salesmen have been known to lie about a truck's abilities/capacities).

If this sounds like a confusing topic, it IS. That said, educate yourself before spending tens of thousands of dollars and then finding out you didn't get what you expected. The Escapees HDT (and MDT) Forum are excellent resources. The HDT group runs great East Cost and National Rallies where EVERYONE is welcome. The seminars alone are worth the trip. In 2016, there were almost as many "newbies" there to learn as there were current HDT owners. Newbies had the opportunity to actually drive a Class-8 HDT! Most are surprised at how easy HDTs are to drive.
Maybe, but we're talking pickup trucks here, not comparing tow vehicles to gravel haulers. The F-350 is a LARGE pickup truck.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:07 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Lgt

Damit I have to paint my F350 pink!
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
Damit I have to paint my F350 pink!
Mary Kay 350
Old 01-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Yup.

And the other thing NOT talked about (but should be) is the item being TOWED.
If you select a lighter/shorter trailer ...you don't need a big honkin' truck to pull it. MATCH the TV with the AS! (The Long Long Trailer movie with Desi and Lucy comes to mind.)
Power meant something then also: The movie was filmed with the TV being a 1953 Mercury Monterey convertible with a 125 HP flathead V8 engine. In order to get the Redman "New Moon" over the Sierra Navada Mts. they switched to a look alike 1953 Lincoln Capri, 205 HP V8. Also, a WD hitch would have been crazy. On a couple of scenes you can see the 2 wheeled dolly under the trailer tongue to carry the weight.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
On a couple of scenes you can see the 2 wheeled dolly under the trailer tongue to carry the weight.
Called a slimp wheel, Something like this:

And remember TRAILER BRAKES FIRST!
Old 01-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Called a slimp wheel, Something like this:

And remember TRAILER BRAKES FIRST!
Thanks for posting. I love the tow vehicle the guy in the video is using. If only I had one more parking place...
Wondered about those extra wheels when I saw the movie. Seems like a good idea to me.