Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
Install an inertial brake controller inside the AS as a theft prevention device?

Hello, I'm nearing completion of renovations, and in the past year or so that the AS has been sitting in my front driveway, several guys have stopped and offered to buy it on the spot. I haven't had any bad vibes about them (with their wives and kids in the car). But I think it may be wise to consider security options. While it's in my driveway, it is covered under my homeowners policy, but it might be wise for me to learn if insurance company's idea of the value is similar to my idea of its value.

That said, after reading about coupler locks, wheel locks/chocks, jack modifications, and a few other things, it seems that mechanical locks may deter but ultimately might not be the most effective methods. A GPS system is likely a good idea but that still has drawbacks. What I have in might be just the thing at a very reasonable cost.

What if I installed an ordinary inertial brake controller inside the trailer, such as installed in a tow vehicle? I would power it through the breakaway circuit/7-way plug charging line (or some other backup system), and set it to maximum sensitivity. And just for fun, I might connect up a loud AH-OOOGAH horn too. My thought is that the brakes would lock up at the slightest acceration/decelerlation and the horn would goose them too. Perhaps I could make a secondary circuit that would lock the brakes for some period of time after stopping, say 15-60 seconds.

It might be fun to jerk a thief around a few times. Do you have any opinions as to the workability of my scheme?
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well you just need to tie the break away cord to something and when that pin is pulled, the brakes will lock up. I guess you can tie in a horn to the braking circuit as well. If you can park a car in front of it, that would stop them.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Well you just need to tie the break away cord to something and when that pin is pulled, the brakes will lock up. I guess you can tie in a horn to the braking circuit as well. If you can park a car in front of it, that would stop them.

Perry
A good idea, assuming that a thief doesn't notice the switch hookup before or after a towing attempt. How long can the brakes be locked up before damage occurs to the brakes, battery, or something else?
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I expect till the battery dies but 4 magnets is cheaper than a new trailer.

Perry
Old 04-09-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
There are several very good Coupler Vaults out there.

https://www.amazon.com/Proven-Indust...ateway&sr=8-22

https://www.amazon.com/Viking-Vault-...ateway&sr=8-15

https://www.amazon.com/MegaHitch-Loc...ateway&sr=8-35

As a second defense use a "Locking Carabiner Quick Link Chain Connector" so you can remove the chain off the AS

This make it almost impossible to tow the AS ... if you are really paranoid you can also add wheel locks such as...

https://www.amazon.ca/Trimax-TCL65-W...s%2C221&sr=8-2

I would suggest that the AS will stay where you put it
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
I'm not sure your homeowner's insurance would cover it for theft or damage. It would cover you for liability if somehow the camper caused an injury to a neighbor or their property. I'd check on that again.
Your brake idea might work, but the brakes would kill a battery quickly and could probably be easily defeated. I'd use one of the usual options or just take a wheel or two off of it.
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
Electric brakes are not meant to be on for periods - they will over heat & die .
Then as mentioned , batteries will not last long either .
A hitch lock is a good choice .
Security / locks - in that line of work - the saying is " there is no lock that will keep out any / everyone .
Even with a hitch lock , a tow truck could put a hook on & be gone in about 10 - 15 sec.
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
As for your insurance question... you may want to talk to your insurer or their agent about a “stated value” policy. For unique items where there is a potential for disagreement between the insured and the insurer in the event of a loss, it is often preferable for the owner to state the value and for the insurer to define the premium associated with that value. Lacking that agreement, you would probably be pleased with the premium and disappointed on the amount you’d receive if your vintage Airstream was a total loss.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
1. Buy this incredible wheel lock. http://brahmalock.com/?gclid=EAIaIQo...SAAEgJqGvD_BwE

2. Have a professional appraisal done.

3. Purchase a stated value insurance policy from Foremost (owned by Farmers).
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:31 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
Red Oak , Texas
Could put a electric flasher in the circuit. When activated brakes come on then release......
thomasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:03 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
On electric/hydraulic brakes the brakeaway switch will not conduct (handle) a full brake power load for more than a few minutes before destroying itself due to overload (as in burn up). Then, no brakes. It is a weakness of the breakaway switch design and to my knowledge they have not been redesigned. I had gone through 4 or 5 before I figured out the switch would not handle the electric hydraulic motor load at full power for more than a few minutes.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
On electric/hydraulic brakes the brakeaway switch will not conduct (handle) a full brake power load for more than a few minutes before destroying itself due to overload (as in burn up). Then, no brakes. It is a weakness of the breakaway switch design and to my knowledge they have not been redesigned. I had gone through 4 or 5 before I figured out the switch would not handle the electric hydraulic motor load at full power for more than a few minutes.
guskmg
This might depend on the actuator. I still have the OEM actibrake actuator. When I am bleeding the brakes or exchanging the fluid, I just pull the pin. The actuator will only run for about 20 seconds then shuts off and holds pressure. When the bleeder is opened, pressure drips and the actuator cycles again. This does not hurt the breakaway switch.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You could put a horse fencer on the shell.

Perry