Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
How do I low tow?

I just finshed towing a high off the ground Funfinder x. Now I have low to the ground Bambi with a loaded suburban, the weight is at max. Are there special ways I should drive my rig? I feel very very low to the ground. Gas stations and shopping centers seem like the could be a challenge. My other nervous challenge is using new tow mirrows, still not use to them, I
Am havivg hard time adjusting. What is sectet to safe low AS driving....
Thank you.
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Yes, Airstreams are low-slung trailers in general, especially the holding tank drain valves. We tow a 19' Bambi also. We try to enter gas stations and shopping areas with rounded shoulder curbing slowly and at a slight angle so that the tires hit the rounded entry curb at slightly different times. In this situation the single axle and short body of your Bambi is to your advantage, but you will still want to avoid a bounce-shock on curbs, which can be done if you take it slowly...and don't try to go over curbing that you know is too high. We have never bottomed out, but watch out for sudden sharp inclines into driveways and entrances.

As far as tow mirrors go, there are many discussions on the forums about towing mirrors (you can search for "mirror" and find many of these discussions), but most folks have a favorite brand or style. We personally use McKesh mirrors and find them easy to use, stable and quite adequate. You will get used to whatever tow mirrors you use with practice.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
How do I low tow?

Greetings Sbb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
I just finshed towing a high off the ground Funfinder x. Now I have low to the ground Bambi with a loaded suburban, the weight is at max. Are there special ways I should drive my rig? I feel very very low to the ground. Gas stations and shopping centers seem like the could be a challenge. My other nervous challenge is using new tow mirrows, still not use to them, I
Am havivg hard time adjusting. What is sectet to safe low AS driving....
Thank you.
My first question for you is whether you are utilizing a weight distributing hitch or just towing with a straight ball hitch? Airstreams are designed to be towed level . . . so you will likely need a dropped-draw-bar to get the hitch head at the proper height . . . then when the coach is hitched to your Suburban, the weight distribution bars should bring the trailer/tow vehicle back into a level team. It can take some tweaking including measuring suspension squat on the Suburban as well as having the combination weighed at a commercial scale to get the weight distributing hitch properly adjusted.

Clearance with any Airstream trailer tends to be tight on service station driveways and at some intersections where drainage channels are part of the surface. Insuring that your weight distributing hitch is properly adjusted to result in as near level for trailer/tow vehicle as possible will help to lessen the probability of dragging on most driveway approaches (taking the approach at a greater angle may lessen the probably of dragging as well). Being certain that the trailer is level as is possible helps to reduce the chance of sway as well (and if it must be a little high or low, it is usually suggested that slightly tongue down is better).

There is a huge difference in the quality of accessory trailer towing mirrors. I tried numerous makes and models before a fellow Airstreamer suggested McKesh mirrors. Once they are adjusted for your tow vehicle it is a simple process to install/remove them without tampering with the adjustment. I purchased the optional convex spot mirrors and with the large standard mirror and the convec spot, the view is the best that I have found with accessory trailer towing mirrors. My McKesh mirrors are more than 30 years old (I purchased them from an Airstreamer who was upgrading to a motorhome in 1995), and I have been able to get any replacement parts for my old mirror directly from the manufacturer at a very reasonable price.

Good luck with your Bambi!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We understand your concerns and, frankly, tweaked the budget to allow for purchase of a TV with factory extendable mirrors. We tried the add-ons and for us - just were not satisfied. With the jump up for us investment (??) wise on the AS it seemed like the thing to do. Around here - at least - there is a large selection of used vehicles with said factory tow mirror option.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Sbb. A number of us here tow with sport sedans. With the centre of gravity so low they drive like they are on rails.
Like the others have said the McKesh mirrors work great.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Setting up the weight distribution hitch is most of the work. How you do or don't load the tow vehicle is partly dependent on how well that hitch is adjusted so that the trailer rides level. Too much weight in the back of your Sub is not a great idea, again, depending on how the rest of the combined rig works together.

The brand of hitch is the first step. Look at other threads on this forum with that brand name in the thread title. And, look online for the hitch manufacturer instructions on how to set it up.

Getting a hitch correct is only a pain the first time. Once understood, it can be changed (or not) depending on the loads it must deal with.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Thanks, i got factory installed mirrors, seemed fine with my one tow to rv place., the AScis still getting worked on but i went up to do hitch, since my car was loaded and i need to finally u pack.,

It looks like car and trailer will be level individually but not on the same plane as each other, but I guess that is ok since u cant squasg a suburban down ( well I can with load word weight and i cant make AS ride any higher. We will see next week when i go out for tbe first time, not loaded. Sbb
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote