Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Hope you have good luck dealing with Hensley on this. I have heard that they are pretty good unless it is considered outright abuse.

Be interested to hear their assessment of how this most likely happened in due course

Perhaps all us Hensley owners can learn from this unfortunate situation.

At least it was lucky that the outcome was not worse.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca53 View Post
Attachment 277977If you don't want to worry about all those bars making noise or taking them off when you backup I got rid of all that and got this air safe its great and easy check it out plus if you still want bars you can add them good luck....
I don't know where you got your information, but a Hensley Arrow does NOT make noise, and you do NOT take the bars off to back up. Ever.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
The only time I've seen damage to struts was when the driver turned way too tight and jack-knifed the rig. In that case the mounts for the struts were ripped out just exactly like the photos. I'm guessing the bent strut is due to it dropping off the head onto the road and buckling as it jammed and rotated through the vertical under the weight of the trailer.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca53 View Post
Attachment 277977If you don't want to worry about all those bars making noise or taking them off when you backup I got rid of all that and got this air safe its great and easy check it out plus if you still want bars you can add them good luck....
I am not sure I understand. An Airsafe hitch, on its own, does nothing to prevent sway. Also, why would you take the bars off for backing up?
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:33 AM   #25

2018 33' Classic
McKinney , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Herm26U Send a message via Yahoo to Herm26U
Update

First, thanks for all the feedback!

I spoke to Terry yesterday and they are sending a new head along with struts, all under warranty. He said no matter how much slack I had in the chains, running them outside the weight distribution bars is what caused this damage. Early forum posters concurred with that opinion. Operator error, dang it! It is on page 25 of the manual. In this instance the shortest distance between A and B is not the best route to take.

My apologies for my old-school terminology calling the struts anti-sway bars. My first few travel trailers beginning 35 years ago had the anti-sway bars that mounted on the a-frame on little balls and then attached to little balls to the sides of the hitch ball; almost identical to the Hensley setup looks.

My friend got lucky pulling his AS, he ran his safety chains the same way I did and didn't suffer any damage at all. He pulled out of the same storage facility and made all the same turns I did; he was right behind me the entire time. Mine was a mangled mess and his pulled like a dream, the way it's supposed to.

I also learned that Hensley monitors their phone 24/7 for emergencies like this. Just leave a message and someone calls you right back Terry said.

Safe travels everyone, thanks again for your input!
Herm26U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:04 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thank you for the update. It makes sense that this would be the cause of that much force. Good on Hensley for covering that under warranty even though you know it's "operator error" - that really says a lot about them as a company!

And good on you for sharing this in the forums - it may help others with Hensleys and ProPrides leverage your tuition in the school of hard knocks 😀
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:26 AM   #27

2018 33' Classic
McKinney , Texas
Yes, it speaks volumes about them as a company! Like you, I hope this saves someone else some heartache!

Guys typically don't read instruction manuals, lesson learned.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #28
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Glad to hear that Terry & Hensley got it figured out for you, & are covering the parts under warranty.

With my Cub ("Arrow Jr.") & where the safety chains are welded to the bottom of our 1960 Avion's A-frame, I cannot physically hook them up to a TV & be outside of the struts, but looking back at your damaged hitch photo, I can see in the pic of yours that it's possible to do so. Anyway, Terry probably has seen everything in his years there & would know.

However, do read the manual & heed their regular checks & tightening, lubing the ball & zerk joints, & other safety & maintenance items. A quick post or google on your phone/laptop doesn't replace knowing your vehicles & equipment.

Safe travels!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herm26U View Post
Rich,

Yes it's a strut but is not part of the anti-sway functionality of the hitch?
The strut is a major component of the anti-sway functionality. It is THE major link to make it work, when connected to the head and frame brackets. You will have near ZERO sway reduction with a broken strut and really should not be used without both in tightly in place. (Remember...they do have to remain in tight and in compression at all times...they should have zero play with push/pulled)

The weight distribution bars (or spring bars) are NOT part of the anti-sway functionality. For the Hensley and Propride their only function is to distribute weight off the rear of the tow vehicle.

As others have found based on your pictures, the broken strut was very likely due to improper chain routing. Chains must go under and between the WD/spring bars, being careful the tongue jack foot does not cause interference in turns...again as mentioned.
RinconVTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinconVTR View Post
The strut is a major component of the anti-sway functionality. It is THE major link to make it work, when connected to the head and frame brackets. You will have near ZERO sway reduction with a broken strut and really should not be used without both in tightly in place. (Remember...they do have to remain in tight and in compression at all times...they should have zero play with push/pulled)

The weight distribution bars (or spring bars) are NOT part of the anti-sway functionality. For the Hensley and Propride their only function is to distribute weight off the rear of the tow vehicle.

As others have found based on your pictures, the broken strut was very likely due to improper chain routing. Chains must go under and between the WD/spring bars, being careful the tongue jack foot does not cause interference in turns...again as mentioned.
+1
Well summarized. Looks like a failure due to user error. Been there, done that (in other ways). Welcome to the club!
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #31
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
RinconVTR, Post #29. Is right. If you still have doubts about the required firmness of the struts when tightened, just loosen them and take a drive. You will notice more sway the faster you go. Tighten them up until there is no physical push pull slack and you are back in business. Don't ask how I know. Read the instructions.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #32
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
The most common cause of this problem is the frame bracket shifting toward the rear if the hitch head reaches the stop in a backing situation. Frame brackets can also shift in panic stops when the full force of the trailer is coming into the tow vehicle.

For a frame bracket to shift, the shear bolts shear from the frame bracket and the distance between the two strut pins is increased and loosens the strut. Once a strut on one side is loose, the other side is loose. Both strut bars must work in tandem for the hitch to function properly and safely. Once the struts are loose the hitch ball starts to move side to side in the coupler and the strut pin hole will rip out of the main head.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
The most common cause of this problem is the frame bracket shifting toward the rear if the hitch head reaches the stop in a backing situation. Frame brackets can also shift in panic stops when the full force of the trailer is coming into the tow vehicle.
Hi Sean.
I'm new to towing with a Hensley, but that info scares the s**t out of me. I have already done one panic stop. Any hitch assembly that will break or fall apart in a panic stop is somewhat useless. Yes my assembly has been checked out by an expert. I have towed for over 15 years with a Reese dual cam without a problem even making many panic stops. Not once have I ever been told that a bracket will shift and fail. Nor did I ever fear or experience a failure.
Woody
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #34
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodytwo View Post
Hi Sean.
I'm new to towing with a Hensley, but that info scares the s**t out of me. I have already done one panic stop. Any hitch assembly that will break or fall apart in a panic stop is somewhat useless. Yes my assembly has been checked out by an expert. I have towed for over 15 years with a Reese dual cam without a problem even making many panic stops. Not once have I ever been told that a bracket will shift and fail.
Woody

The bracket does not fail. The heads of the shear bolts shear with the force of the strut. You will instantly know if that happens because the hitch will not perform as it should.

I wouldn't be too worried about it but it's something to know should you ever get in that situation and feel like the Airstream isn't tracking like it was before. If you don't feel it the orange head will pivot side to side and the hole for the forward strut pin will rip out of the head.

If the bracket ever shifts on the road you can adjust your struts to take out the slack and reposition the frame bracket when you are parked and have time to move it back to its original position with shear bolts.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Woody, I wouldn't be too concerned about this. It only happens with an improper install and setup AND improper trailer brake application at the same time. A sloppy coupler could contribute as well. I've had my share of panic stops without any movement of the brackets or even the paint being damaged at the rear of the strut holes on the orange head (Hensley ). This indicates zero movement of the head relative to the coupler.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #36

2018 33' Classic
McKinney , Texas
Hensley Follow-up

Hey everyone, thanks again for your input!

My situation with my Hensley hitch was 100% operator error; I failed to run the safety chains properly between the weight distribution bars and that is what caused the damage to my hitch and struts.

Hensley was gracious enough to exchange my bent/broken parts for brand new ones (not remanufactured) and I'm proud to report that my 27FB pulled like a dream this weekend. All it took was hooking it up per manufacturer's instructions! We had 20-25mph crosswinds yesterday and virtually NO sway whatsoever. Hensley has engineered a fine piece of equipment.

Most of us guys don't ask directions or read directions but I'll be the first to tell you, read ALL of the instructions, even through page 25 of your manual, it will save you time and headaches!

Safe travels,
Todd