Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2017, 01:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Ever want to tow just for the sake of towing?

This weekend my '69 Overlander got a new breakaway switch and battery. I decided to give it its own battery because I still haven't installed a trailer battery, and even once I do, I don't mind redundancy in safety gear. And the whole kit was only $20 more than the breakaway switch.

Then today I installed a new Prodigy P3 break controller in my 4Runner. First one I've owned, since I've never towed anything bigger than a single axle utility trailer (other than the three times I've had to move the Airstream short distances, which I did exceedingly carefully).

I haven't found the WD hitch I want yet, but I'm excited enough about the new gear that I just want to go tow the thing for the heck of it.
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Glad I'm not the only one!

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
One of our shake down trips was a run up I5 and back. We wanted to know if we could travel 400 miles in a day and to learn what it was like if we did. So, 200 miles up and 200 miles back. That's kind of like towing to tow. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Pleasant City , Ohio
It’s a sickness! I was just telling my wife the other day I was looking forward to seeing the camper in the mirror.
KCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCCO View Post
It’s a sickness! I was just telling my wife the other day I was looking forward to seeing the camper in the mirror.

I have not towed mine since April since It is off the road for new axles, other work and am installing disc brakes. I too miss seeing it in the rear view mirror as that means we are going someplace, camping and having fun.

Dan.
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:45 AM   #6
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I can relate!

As we were leaving for the in-law’s last week, I commented to my wife that I would much rather be seeing the Avion in the rear view mirrors!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Fore sure!

When we had the Can AM set up Infinity G35/23' Airstream combo I was always looking for excuses to hook up and take it for a test ride. What a great handling rig it was.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I took a trip back to the dealer (120miles) for the AS's 90 day inspection. I forgot what a pleasure it is to tow on a nice road.
Since I wasn't in a hurry or have somewhere to be, I got into the "zone" where I'm mellow and nothing bothers me. I cruised at 64 mph and made the trip.
It made me want to GO somewhere and not come home for a while.

I look at all the other RVers on the road, from mega motorhomes to fifth wheels and smaller trailers. Towing the AS HAS to be the easiest to drive long distances. Before downsizing from a 40' MH, I enjoyed all the amenities and comfort, but the sheer size made driving more stressful.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Ah, NO!

We love the camping, love life in the trailer, love seeing new places. I love being able to take our puppies with us where ever we go. Towing is the price we pay for all that, and the part I HATE!

I hate the traffic, the terrible state of the roads, and the other drivers who almost killed us several times last summer with their dangerous maneuvers.

So, no, we don't ever tow just for the "fun" of it.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Going to an Oregon AS Club Rally in Hood River, OR, last summer, I was forced by a U-Haul truck & trailer driving in the opposite direction on the White Salmon/Hood River Bridge, across the Columbia River (posted width of 18 ft), to hug the right-hand guard rail, putting a 28 ft crease in the right-hand side of our AS. OUCH!!! When we got back home, I took the AS to ASNorthwest to get an insurance quote (>$16K) and repair the damage. I finally got the AS back last Saturday (BTW, they did a remarkable repair job --- you wouldn't believe the AS was ever damaged). (Note: it didn't take 4 months to repair the damage --- it took 4 months for AS/Jackson Center to provide under warranty a replacement kitchen countertop whose formica had delaminated from its underlayment.)

I drove the AS back home, around an hour, and parked it in its barn (great ride --- as if the AS just was not there). We've signed up to go to the WBCCI NW Chapter Rally in May and the WBCCI National Rally in June.

I'ze countin' the days 'til then.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:14 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Since you are still looking for a hitch, I would recommend a Hensley or ProPride. There are good used values on Ebay or Craig's List. and Hensley's site. You can get a life time warranty on Hensley. I'm not sure about ProPride. I've had a complete replacement gratis from Hensley due to bearing failure. The safety of the trapezoid design can't be beat, not if you want to protect your investment.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
ProPride has a similar warranty, and IMHO the ‘improved’ Hensley design of the ProPride is a great improvement. Seems a lot sturdier, does NOT require drilling holes for shear bolts in the A-frame, and is a bit less expensive. In my opinion, the adjustable stinger is perfect for me, because I just went to a taller Tacoma 4x4 and it’s just get out the wrenches to adjust it. Ditto when I change out tires and wheels and add blocks to get more ground clearance.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
I love being on the road with my Jeep and Airstream. Barely know its behind me till I look in the rear camera of the Airstream and see the Jeep lights blinking as I change lanes.

Been cross country with it twice and hope to take it to Alaska next summer.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:48 PM   #14
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
I try to exercise our 25f at least once a month, until summer for the long run. It’s fun to just take her out to day camp for lunch or dinner...
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I am a person who likes driving as I enjoy the mechanics of a vehicle, hitch and trailer - a bit of a gearhead most of the time and have bored many people around the campfire....
One aspect of our family vacation is that dad (me) gets some quality time with his diesel truck and how well it handles the load in tow. I have talked to other folks who absolutely hate to tow. I ask why and typically is that they feel unsafe towing their white box - many comment that everything feels unstable.... Go figure as they haven't taken the time to dial in their hitch/tow vehicle/trailer.
There are a few times when I have towed the trailer "just to tow" and that was trouble shooting some trailer brake issues, new axles and hitch adjustments. I wanted to make sure everything was just right before I hit interstate speeds with the family on board.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
This weekend my '69 Overlander got a new breakaway switch and battery. I decided to give it its own battery because I still haven't installed a trailer battery, and even once I do, I don't mind redundancy in safety gear. And the whole kit was only $20 more than the breakaway switch.

Then today I installed a new Prodigy P3 break controller in my 4Runner. First one I've owned, since I've never towed anything bigger than a single axle utility trailer (other than the three times I've had to move the Airstream short distances, which I did exceedingly carefully).

I haven't found the WD hitch I want yet, but I'm excited enough about the new gear that I just want to go tow the thing for the heck of it.

Yes. The roads are calling me, and I must go...
Silverpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Another option….

I know I am not the only one to driveway camp…in my own driveway.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
NOT TODAY...

I should be shot for trying to beat the cold front/blizzard that's hitting the east coast today. Currently in PARK GEAR on ai-95S .

Avg speed 0 to 25 mph since 1pm. Towing in 4WD qith left hand on brake controller... which scares tailgaters back.10 feet. 30 miles.to camp,
NEVER AGAIN!!!
Old 01-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
NOT TODAY...

I should be shot for trying to beat the cold front/blizzard that's hitting the east coast today. Currently in PARK GEAR on ai-95S .

Avg speed 0 to 25 mph since 1pm. Towing in 4WD qith left hand on brake controller... which scares tailgaters back.10 feet. 30 miles.to camp,
NEVER AGAIN!!!
Sounds like a 'fun' adventure, depending upon your definition of 'fun'.

Imagine how nice it will be once you are parked...chin up, and drive gently...

Lemme see here, based loosely on the three most useless things in Aviation**:

1) Dry pavement far behind you,
2) Daylight fading fast,
3) Fuel at the gas station just out of range behind you?

1) Altitude ABOVE you,
2) Fuel in the truck on the ground,
3) The 'backside' of the power curve.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
I know I am not the only one to driveway camp…in my own driveway.
My neighbors think I'm crazy! They just can't understand why I'd sleep in the trailer in my own driveway. I didn't add fhu at the end of the drive for nothing!
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote