Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2015, 11:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Dealer botched my Husky Centerline installation. Need help in New Jersey

Asked the dealer to install a Husky Centerline WD on my TV. Well, they weren't too happy because I bought it at Camping World. Gave the job to the youngest tech in their crew. The kid hardly measured anything just attached everything, stepped back two feet and said That looks level.

My first trip, I get to the campground and it took two maintenance men to help me take the bars off. We had the jack at every level possible, including all the way up. Still could not get the bars off.

Clearly, something is not right. Does anyone know where in New Jersey I can get help where someone can re-install it properly.
LiaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I would highly recommend Colonial Airstream in Lakewood. My dealer didn't install my ProPride correctly and I just brought it to Colonial in September. They basically reinstalled the entire hitch and it is PERFECT!!

Call them and see what they say. I would imagine they have a tech there who has done a few of those hitches before.

They are an outstanding service organization.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
The money you saved will end up costing twice as much after you have the installation done twice. You don't take a steak to a restaurant.....
Old 09-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I would highly recommend Colonial Airstream in Lakewood. My dealer didn't install my ProPride correctly and I just brought it to Colonial in September. They basically reinstalled the entire hitch and it is PERFECT!!

Call them and see what they say. I would imagine they have a tech there who has done a few of those hitches before.

They are an outstanding service organization.
Steve, Colonial is where I had it installed. They were not happy with me because I didn't want to purchase one of the systems that they sell. I had a great experience with their sales dept. but their service was terrible, as far as I was concerned.

They couldn't find the wiring in my Touareg and insisted it wasn't pre-wired and I should buy a wireless brake controller for $600. Camping World, surprisingly, did a great job on my brake controller and my car IS pre-wired.

I bought a Husky because that's the one I wanted, not to save money. I paid Colonial $200 for the installation that they screwed up. Camping World charges $110 and now I think they would have done a better job.

You lucked out because they happen to be a ProPride dealer.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I would call Tony - the head of service - and talk with him directly. Be honest and kind - see what they say.

I can't imagine they wouldn't want to make this right. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
After 15 years of personal experience in the RV service field, I'm surprised that Colonial would even install a hitch that you bought somewhere else. I would have declined the job, just as I have done repeatedly when asked to do a complete solar installation with components that were bought elsewhere.

I stand behind my work 100% and for that reason, I will only install components that I know will work to my specifications and that I have a long track record with. Ones that have proper warranty back-up when needed and perform to specification.

It's not simply trying to sell you something from stock, but rather installing a component that I know works and works well! I refuse to get in the middle of a problem situation between the client and the manufacturer if I didn't have complete control of the installation from the very beginning. However, If they accepted job they should have done it correctly and knowing Colonial as I do, I'm certain that they will make it right.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:17 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
After 15 years of personal experience in the RV service field, I'm surprised that Colonial would even install a hitch that you bought somewhere else. I would have declined the job, just as I have done repeatedly when asked to do a complete solar installation with components that were bought elsewhere.

I stand behind my work 100% and for that reason, I will only install components that I know will work to my specifications and that I have a long track record with. Ones that have proper warranty back-up when needed and perform to specification.

It's not simply trying to sell you something from stock, but rather installing a component that I know works and works well! I refuse to get in the middle of a problem situation between the client and the manufacturer if I didn't have complete control of the installation from the very beginning. However, If they accepted job they should have done it correctly and knowing Colonial as I do, I'm certain that they will make it right.
I agree with you 100% but they agreed to the installation and they charged me for it. The hitch was new in the box not something used off of another trailer.

The sad part is I did call them and spoke to a service advisor and told them the problem I was having. Their answer was and I qoute "the Equalizer we install would never have done that and the bars are very easy to take off". That was after I was on hold for 5 minutes, so I'm sure he got the whole story of how I had the audacity to bring them a hitch I bought at Camping World.

I guess in my experience the sales dept. was a much more pleasant experience than their service dept. Unless you buy their recommended products you are on thier **** list.

I would not be upset and raving if they told me to take a hike and have it installed elsewhere. I did that with my brake controller and was very happy. I was in the service business myself and understand.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:29 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
I watched the installation video and read the manual 3 times. I now know it wasn't installed correctly. I'm not here to badmouth the dealer. I guess I wanted to give them another chance to redeem themselves after they failed with my brake controller install.

Someone Please respond to my original request of "Where in New Jersey is a knowledgable hitch installation shop where I can have this redone". Thank You.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:44 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
I bought an equalizer hitch from the same dealer for my new 2014 FC 27.
The tech must have been having a bad day, told me they don't have a level spot to do the measurements. (It was His first day back from a vacation). It also was not set up correctly. On the way back west I stopped at JC to have the awning pkg installed and other work. I ended up buying a Reese dual cam, after 3 techs and half a days time, and they couldn't get my rig level. They said I had the wrong shank, and they didn't have Equalizer parts in stock. Yes they have a great reputation, so I figured it was just my bad luck at the dealer, but I bought my 2016 now on order from another dealer, so they lost my business,

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #10
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
There is a large Camping World dealer in the Toms River area.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:12 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
In the Midwest we use a business that both sells and services trailers, hitches, etc. You might check for a Husky dealer in your area that sells and services hitches, and sells trailers other than travel trailers. Not sure if I would use Camping World because of numerous complaints about service issues with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
First off, I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, but why not correct the bad hitch set up yourself. Read the instructions, take your time and see if you can't get if correct. I installed my Equalizer several years ago myself. It took a while to get all the measurements correct, it is not a 5 minute job the first time you set up a hitch. Equalizer had a very helpful installation section in the owners manual. I was picky with mine and kept at it until I got all the measurements "perfect". Lots of satisfaction in a job well done too. Good luck.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post

Agree, they should have declined to install the hitch. Most motorcycle shops I dealt with had the same policy. It wasn't only because they didn't sell the part but because of the lack of knowledge of the part and its quality. It's a liability thing many times.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Use this link to the Husky "find a dealer" site:

Find A Dealer | Husky Towing

SCOTT MOTORS
1133 RT 88
LAKEWOOD, NJ 08701
Phone: 732-370-1022

MEDIA CAMPING CENTER
1651 BETHLEHEM PIKE
HATFIELD, PA 19440
Phone: 215-822-1345

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
First off, I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, but why not correct the bad hitch set up yourself. Read the instructions, take your time and see if you can't get if correct. I installed my Equalizer several years ago myself. It took a while to get all the measurements correct, it is not a 5 minute job the first time you set up a hitch. Equalizer had a very helpful installation section in the owners manual. I was picky with mine and kept at it until I got all the measurements "perfect". Lots of satisfaction in a job well done too. Good luck.
I agree.
After the dealer installed my Equal-i-zer it wasn't right- didn't transfer enough weight to the front axle or trailer axle and didn't provide effective sway control-
After Jackson Center adjusted it, everything was closer, but still not there.
After a couple months of trial and error I got as good as it gets and have better weight transfer and better sway control.
One thing the mechanic at Jackson Center did do was help me to understand how it all works and what to move which way to get "x" result.
If I were in your shoes with your Husky Centerline I would get out there with some big ole sockets and a torque wrench and start adjusting. It may take months of adjusting and trying it before you find the "sweet spot", but you will get there.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #16
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Do it yourself. That way you will know how it all goes together and can repair/adjust the thing if if ever gets out of whack or breaks in the future.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
I had the same thing happen to me BUT I bought the Husky Centerline from the dealer after they told me that it was the most advanced set-up; the service manager also told me that they had to 'correct' a lot of improperly installed units so they had a lot of experience with the unit. While I'm sure the service manager was being sincere and I'm sure he personally has lots of experience, believe me when I tell you that the guy delivering my unit had NO IDEA what he was doing. My install was so bad that the dynamic stability control switched off because it couldn't keep up. Luckily, I had watched a video on the set-up and we pulled into a Campers World parking lot and I pulled out my wrenches and managed to get it to the point of being drivable. MY Mercedes is a lot like your Porsche with regard to stability control, PM me if you'd like some advice and tips on getting everything set up correctly.
Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaG View Post
I watched the installation video and read the manual 3 times. I now know it wasn't installed correctly. I'm not here to badmouth the dealer. I guess I wanted to give them another chance to redeem themselves after they failed with my brake controller install.

Someone Please respond to my original request of "Where in New Jersey is a knowledgable hitch installation shop where I can have this redone". Thank You.

I'm sorry - I'm having a hard time understanding what your goal is.

It sounds as though you didn't have a satisfactory experience at the shop.

Was it the brake controller? I thought you said it was pre wired? Or installed by Camping World? But it's the Husky hitch, yes?

I'm also having trouble understanding what you've done to work with the shop to give them the opportunity to make this right.

The right answer (for different reasons) could be for them to give you your money back and you can apply that to any other shop you like - including the 2 Husky authorized shops provided earlier to you in this string.

Something isn't computing for me here. I'm not sure I can offer any advice beyond what I've suggested so far. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampman View Post
Do it yourself. That way you will know how it all goes together and can repair/adjust the thing if if ever gets out of whack or breaks in the future.
I think this is the best advice.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampman View Post
The OP is a woman, fine tuning the hitch may be easy, but if you have to take it apart, it may be to heavy for her to handle, just saying?