Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I hate to beat that dead horse but....

Solar - we do not have it but do not plan to do any camping where we don't have electricity but if we were to get it I would probably go with factory for the warranty from Airstream

Satellite - just another expense I don't want. If you already pay for Dish or DirecTV then it would not be a big deal if you can bring a receiver from home that you already pay for. I have AppleTVs installed on both of our TV's and we use Airplay from our iDevices. If you load the movies/TV shows on your ipad/iphone before you leave home you can easily watch them on your TV's - you do not even need Internet for this to work (check our youtube channel for more info)

WD hitch/sway control - ABSOLUTELY!!!

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Is there any other benefit of the high cost of the factory solar? Like all of the cabling and interfaces are complete? Something that you would have to deal with aftermarket is drilling holes and mounting stuff etc...
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #23
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I posted elsewhere the exact amount I paid AM Solar for my 405 watts of solar, and it was still cheaper than that crappy 85W system you get from Airstream. The only benefit to factory is you didn't install it. Lew has repeated elsewhere on the forums how lousy Airstreams factory wiring is.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our factory solar consists of two 53 watt panels and two Group 24 Lifeline AGM batteries, as well as a decent solar controller and monitor. The wiring is no problem. The system is nicely installed at the factory during assembly.

In four years travel 6-7 months a year it has worked well for us and still does. It provides enough power for factory entertainment systems, computer charging, lights, water pump and furnace when he sun shines. In overcast weather it is less effective, but there is some charging depending on cloud cover. The weakness is not the solar panels, it is the storage capacity of the batteries, which we plan to upgrade if/when they fail.

List price was about $2500, we bargained for less. We like it for our varied use with and without hookups. We travel without our Honda 2000i generator since we have leaned how to manage the solar we have. It's not crappy at all, we like it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #25
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Our factory solar consists of two 53 watt panels and two Group 24 Lifeline AGM batteries....

... List price was about $2500
You over paid for 106 watts. Just because it's working, and you like it, doesn't mean it was a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The wiring is no problem. The system is nicely installed at the factory during assembly.
You clearly haven't seen the way they wire things: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ng-135945.html

My argument here is that the factory solar, is never a good deal.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it, until someone comes up with a better argument than "we like it".