Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Yellowstone National Park , Wyoming
2011 Airstream 25FB Twin-price and battle that is raging

Hello everyone. I have found this forum to be a wealth of information in the past few days and cant say thank you enough to everyone who gives their valuable insight. Here is where I am. Ive been bit by the bug. Ive been looking at trailers and found the one I want its a 2011 AS Flying Cloud 25FB twin. Its for sale at one of the highly praised dealers on this website. Im gonna make a long story short by saying that they are asking 66k and the lowest I have gotten them down so far is 54.5k. I have read these forums enough to know that a 20% discount off the asking price is not to far off to expect. Is it too much to try to get another $1200 off? He is acting like the airstream is gold and that hes not making any money off the deal. Overall he is being pretty rough on the negotiations not as I would have expected. Its almost turned me off on them completely. There is a unit thats a lot closer to me with the same features but the dinette and couch are a color I dont really like and its that fake leather which I dont think will mesh well with the german shepherd I have. Bottom line. Im looking for the best deal. I may have to just sew some cushion covers on the trailer thats closer to me. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
EmoryRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Wrong time of the year for hard-nosed negotiations on RV's, I think. After Memorial Day you'd do better, maybe. If it's the perfect setup for you as is, all things considered, sounds like a decent deal.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

around , Washington
I've never gone to an Airstream dealership, but I have bought new cars and other things.

I would suspect if you just pointed out the fact that there is another one closer, but you liked this one more, and that one will give that last $1200 off. Then say thanks, and bye.

I would suspect if he is ever going to come down the last bit, he will call back within an hour or so.
Khaosinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Wrong time of the year for hard-nosed negotiations on RV's, I think. After Memorial Day you'd do better, maybe. If it's the perfect setup for you as is, all things considered, sounds like a decent deal.

doug k
Considering the prices I'm seeing in classifieds, craigslist and eBay as compared to those in March, I have to agree with Doug (though I think he meant after Labor Day.) It's high season for vacationing, they think someone else will come along soon and they haven't wasted a lot of money in "floorplan" financing for the 2011 models yet, so they don't want to give in too much.

How does the price on the closer one compare? Are they offering it for $53k?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
How far away from this dealer would you be?

Will you plan to go back and have warranty work done?

Negotiations are a two way street, and you probably know that it's better when both parties walk away from the table somewhat satisfied (as opposed to feeling beaten down).
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
How long do you plan to own your new Airstream $1200 isn't much over the time you own it.
There is value in purchasing from the dealer you plan to use for service.
One last thing. Ask the dealer that is close to you if he can do a swap with the other dealer for the one you want.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Buy the one you like. If you don't buy the one you want, you'll always wish that you had.

I'd try again to get the price you want, but I wouldn't let $ 1200 stand between me and the trailer I liked the best. Does that one have more options or something to justify a slightly higher price? there must be some reason, cause the fake leather itself is a higher priced option, I think. Microwave? extra TV? awning?
Have you compared the original sticker prices on both trailers to see where there might be a difference?
Old 06-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Thanks for the replies. Starting from the top.

Doug-I wasnt sure how hot the market would be right now. I figured that early spring/show season would be the best time. I guess its like buying a boat, a man should wait until dead of winter and find the one he wants. I also failed to mention on the closer dealers unit that it has the fake leather AND a queen bed. These aren't necessarily deal killers but it sure is hard to look at(Is it $1200 hard? I dont know). On the flip side talking about the market. I put my 2010 SOB on Craigslist three days ago and have already had three bites and one hard looker who is going to let me know tomorrow if its a deal.

DKB- The closer dealer is already below 53k. That is without any negotiations. Just opening offer. Its just that dang leather and that queen bed. The closer dealers list is about 1500 less than the other dealer.

Murrey Walker- Close dealer is 40 miles. Far dealer with the exact FP I want is about 800 miles. So Im pretty much screwed on warranty work as far as taking the trailer back to them for service(unless it is a major issue and then I would). Its not that the negotiations are going completely bad. It's just he's a little pushy for me. Its one of those "I can't do that, but we can finance, payment, etc." shell games.

Naper- You are right about the $1200 isnt much over the long haul. But I probably wont be using them for service. I will try to ask the guy closer to me about the swap, but thats why I didnt want to order because I knew it would come at a price premium.

I emailed them back this afternoon. I will see if I hear from them tomorrow. If it works out good. As the song says "Que sera sera, whatever will be will be" Im not mad about it. I will still have the money and airstream will keep building trailers if this one doesn't work out. I just wanted to come to you guys/ladies for some sage advice. Any further advice from everyone out there is greatly appreciated. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
another fact on the AS search is. I am moving to NC for job training for four months and am looking for something bigger than my current trailer. I leave Aug. 24 so my do or die is probably Aug 15th. If I sell the current trailer tomorrow there is no probably. I will have to find something by then
Old 06-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Time to go CAMPING

I just completed a round trip from Virginia Beach to San Antonio. Traveled through Tennessee. The state parks there are beautiful and the prices are moderate. Tic, tic, tic.... the camping season is in high gear AND your dealer is likely to get the price from the next person through the door.

You can wait patiently until August or September and hope the unit remains unsold, or take your family camping after coughing up an extra $1200. If of course you DON'T get a camper you'll do vacation and spend that $1200 on hotels, etc.

(Do I sound like SATAN tempting you?)

Twins are less common than queens in the 25FB - (better storage access and easier bed making). That may also affect the likelihood that someone else will want the unit you're negotiating on.

If you've got your financing guaranteed or CASH, push for the "deal" if not - well you haven't done badly all things considered so buy or walk.

Best wishes and happy camping, Paula
Old 06-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
EmoryRiver,
Get the one you want, but maybe you should ask them to throw in a Equilizer hitch or something like that. Our dealer wouldn't budge either after many hours of negotiations, but we came away with a flatscreen for bedroom and equilzer hitch. We were trying for another $1000 off, but found what we wanted and left happy.
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you're less than 400 miles from the factory for service. buy the model you really want!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Its a done deal. I put 5k down deposit. As soon as the paperwork is completed I will go pick her up. Thanks again everyone for your help and advice!!!! I hope and plan to become a regular around here. This forum is one of the most valuable user contributed resources on any topic I have ever researched. I plan to become a supporting member to support my new passion!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
Congrats on your new AS!
smhx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greeting from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Congratulations on your new baby! You're going to love the 25FB. We have a 2005 25FB, named Lucy, that we bought new in 2006. We have spent over 800 nights in her, and have towed her almost 80,000 miles. We have just come back from a 57 day trip out west. It was great.

We need to see baby pictures as soon as you get her.

Here are a few of pictures of our Lucy.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4404.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	133142   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5313.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	133143  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6262.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	133144   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6928.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	133145  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
You cant just leave us hanging! Did you get the twin or QB? Did you get your price? Does Thor financing have any special financing rates going on right now?
Congratulations!
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
moosetags-I love the name. And I will be posting plenty of pics. Starting with my trip home after I go pick it up.

subfan-lol. no I wont leave you hanging. After an entire day of going back and forth they met my terms on the twin bed unit I was after. It was far from easy, but I am satisfied. Not sure about the Thor financing. my rate was 4.99% Like I said in my earlier post. It will either work out or not. And it worked out. Also as a bonus, a couple came by tonight and bought my SOB trailer right after I made the deal on the AS. So, I honestly couldn't be any happier....Well, after I get her home I will be!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
2012 25FB lying cloud

We just bought a 2012 25FB flying Cloud with the microwave convection and bedroom tv upgrade for 50,000 even. There are deals out there if you are patient.
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote