Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I now have an eye bolt in my license plate holder. Great idea. I think it is an easy solution for my break away cable. I had been attaching it to my receiver. Your right. Length is important. I would like to apply the emergency brakes before the safety chains straighten out in case my hitch or receiver fail.

David
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but I thought that the breakaway cable was supposed to be long enough that it would only activate the brakes if the trailer were no longer attached to the vehicle. It shouldn't cause the brakes to come on if the trailer is still attached by the chains.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
do not connect to the hitch receiver!

All the ideas here of not connecting to the hitch receiver are excellent. I have an acquaintance who bought a new Chevy 3/4 ton diesel and the whole hitch came off (poor factory welds). If he'd had the breakaway connected to the hitch structure, the brakes would not have engaged.

He was pulling into a rest area when it occurred but wasn't going fast at that point. The brakes locked and the trailer, WD hitch, and the receiver all slid down the road and stopped quickly. No one was hurt and luckily there was little damage to the trailer.

Do not connect to the hitch structure.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:47 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I wonder why tow vehicle manufacturers don't provide a proper attachment point for the breakaway switch cable? Even an eyebolt in the bumper might suffice.
My '06 F-250 did have one. My '14 Ram 2500 doesn't. It's an annoying oversight on Dodge's part. I'm pretty happy with the truck, except for a few little things like this. (There are always a few things that annoy me about any new car.)

I need to do the license plate eyebolt thing - as it stands right now I'm hooking it to the safety chain spot. I know, it's wrong.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but I thought that the breakaway cable was supposed to be long enough that it would only activate the brakes if the trailer were no longer attached to the vehicle. It shouldn't cause the brakes to come on if the trailer is still attached by the chains.
Yes, mine will only actuate if the chains let go. Theoretically, I should still have manual control of the brakes with the controller if the chains are connected but one thing I've not done is check to see that the electric umbilical is longer than the chains. If it's not, then the brake should activate when the umbilical reaches it's limit or the chains should be shortened. I'll check it this weekend. - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks davidson overlander and others. I was wrong. The emergency brakes should only come on if the trailer becomes disconnected from the tow vehicle, such as a catastrophic receiver failure. After thinking about it, I have never had a breakaway cable shorter than the safety chains. And if the umbilical cord is still attached, then I should have trailer brakes.

It's good to think through these basic safety mechanisms and all the "what ifs" associated with them.

My son had a rental trailer come off the ball and plop on the safety chains. The rental yard dropped the trailer with a 2 5/16 ball coupler on his 2" ball shank. The chains worked, and other than some dents in the bumper of his truck, no damage. Totally avoidable incident. But proves the necessity of these safety devices.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Below is a pic of my solution. Steel cable attached to spring shackle under truck frame, threaded thru 1/8 in hole in plastic bumper, attached to safety cable.

Whoever said that the safety cable should be longer than the chains is 100 pct. correct. If the chains don't break on their own, you don't want to increase the load on them by locking up the trailer brakes, right? That might cause the chains to fail when otherwise you might have maintained control.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418684228.125411.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	833.3 KB
ID:	228661

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TomS is offline   Reply With Quote