Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2019, 05:47 AM   #1

2017 22' Sport
Chicago , Illinois
Brake Controller on Both Trailer and Tow Vehicle?

I have a question that I hope will be simple? We have a 22FB with a trailer mounted brake controller and will be purchasing an F-150 with built in brake controller. How do I handle having two brake controllers? Do I just ignore the one on the trailer and leave its vehicle remote disconnected so it doesn't activate? Thank you!
aziskind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:07 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Does the trailer 7-way plug in to the trailer mounted brake controller? If so, unplug it and plug it into the truck.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
1985 31' Excella
1969 29' Ambassador
Crescent , Oklahoma
I’d just remove the trailer mounted and use the truck. The built in controllers work great.

TAC OK-5
lahrfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:23 AM   #4

2017 22' Sport
Chicago , Illinois
Thanks all for your advice! Andy
Old 02-12-2019, 06:54 AM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Can anybody enlighten a bit, never heard of a brake controller mounted on a trailer? Pics or link would be interesting.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:11 AM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by aziskind View Post
I have a question that I hope will be simple? We have a 22FB with a trailer mounted brake controller and will be purchasing an F-150 with built in brake controller. How do I handle having two brake controllers? Do I just ignore the one on the trailer and leave its vehicle remote disconnected so it doesn't activate? Thank you!
Are you referring to the emergency break-away brake controller with the detachable pin and cable? That is a separate braking system that must be left intact and connected to battery power.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
I think the OP is a bit fuzzy on what is going on with his brakes. Maybe the best thing is to go to the dealer he bought it from and talk to the service manager.

If he bought used, even then just go to a dealership or maybe camping world service department and have someone explain how brakes work.

No way does he have a brake controller mounted on his AS. He must be talking about the breakaway switch.

And as we all know, don't pull the breakaway switch instead of using chocks.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The RF style brake control module mounts on the trailer tongue. The umbilical cable connects to the module and the module has an umbilical that connects to the tow vehicle 7-pin connector. https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-9025...a-436206402953

To use the truck brake module, remove the brake control module from the trailer and connect the trailer umbilical to the tow vehicle. Do not plug in the prior control remote. Use the truck dedicated controls.

Note - if the existing module is left in place, it will provide a braking signal to the trailer when the rig slows. It does not need the remote to be plugged in and powered. It does need that remote powered to activate the brakes in an emergency.

Note - the break away switch is not connected to the umbilical cable.

If the above is not logical, get professional help to work out the correct installation and explain it to you. This is important. Do not tow your trailer until you understand how the brakes function. You may never need to over-ride the brake control, but you must understand how and why to do that. Consider it part of towing 101.

Apology to those offering info. The RF control is a different system.

Travel safe. Enjoy your new coach. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #9
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post

Note - if the existing module is left in place, it will provide a braking signal to the trailer when the rig slows. It does not need the remote to be plugged in and powered. It does need that remote powered to activate the brakes in an emergency.

Note - the break away switch is not connected to the umbilical cable.

If the above is not logical, get professional help to work out the correct installation and explain it to you. This is important. Do not tow your trailer until you understand how the brakes function. You may never need to over-ride the brake control, but you must understand how and why to do that. Consider it part of towing 101.

Apology to those offering info. The RF control is a different system.

Travel safe. Enjoy your new coach. Pat

No Pat -

The Tekonsha RF only sends a signal if the 7-way is plugged into the trailer unit - if not, then it just sits there unpowered.

I know - I have one - & rent Enterprise trucks all of which have their own controllers (F250, RAM2500).

I prefer to use the RF unit because I can keep the control unit in my lap/seat close at hand in case I need to use the boost button - rather then searching & reaching for the built-in controller's boost button on the lower dash, while trying the maintain control of the rig!

Andy - you can use either brake controller you prefer - depending upon which -

> if the RF on trailer, then plug the trailer's 7-pin into the Tekonsha box, & the the Tekonsha box's 7-pin into the truck/TV.

> if the truck/TV controller, then unplug the trailer's 7-pin from the RF's box, & directly into the Truck/TV.

Try them both & try out using the boost button for both, then decide.

Either way, just leave the trailer RF box on the trailer, & take the RF controller with you on trips, just in case you'd need to tow in an emergency with a TV not equipped, &/or if you have multiple TVs & not all with their own built-in controllers.

My guess is that you'll prefer the ease of the hand-held RF controller, rather than reaching for the one on the dash.

Cheers!

Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #10
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
A pic from the OP sure would be nice.
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 02-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
It surely will make a few of these posts obsolete.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2003 22' International CCD
2004 28' Safari
Sahuarita , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
No Pat -

The Tekonsha RF only sends a signal if the 7-way is plugged into the trailer unit - if not, then it just sits there unpowered.

I know - I have one - & rent Enterprise trucks all of which have their own controllers (F250, RAM2500).

I prefer to use the RF unit because I can keep the control unit in my lap/seat close at hand in case I need to use the boost button - rather then searching & reaching for the built-in controller's boost button on the lower dash, while trying the maintain control of the rig!

Andy - you can use either brake controller you prefer - depending upon which -

> if the RF on trailer, then plug the trailer's 7-pin into the Tekonsha box, & the the Tekonsha box's 7-pin into the truck/TV.

> if the truck/TV controller, then unplug the trailer's 7-pin from the RF's box, & directly into the Truck/TV.

Try them both & try out using the boost button for both, then decide.

Either way, just leave the trailer RF box on the trailer, & take the RF controller with you on trips, just in case you'd need to tow in an emergency with a TV not equipped, &/or if you have multiple TVs & not all with their own built-in controllers.

My guess is that you'll prefer the ease of the hand-held RF controller, rather than reaching for the one on the dash.

Cheers!

Tom
///////

X2 -

I too have a Tekonsha RF and a Tundra with built in controller. I just use the Tekonsh and ignore the truck controller.
AzAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
No Pat -- snip --
"Do I just ignore the one on the trailer and leave its vehicle remote disconnected so it doesn't activate?"

"If the existing module is left in place"

Disconnecting the module fron the umbilical is not leaving it in place.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:42 PM   #14
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
"Do I just ignore the one on the trailer and leave its vehicle remote disconnected so it doesn't activate?"

"If the existing module is left in place"

Disconnecting the module fron the umbilical is not leaving it in place.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion. Pat

Just to be clear -

You only need to use & plug-in the hand unit in the cab when you're using the trailer mounted RF. I suggested bringing it along on trips in case needed for a non-brake-controller equipped TV used in a pinch.

Disconnecting the RF module on the trailer from the trailer's 7-pin, but leaving the module in-place - i.e.: leaving it mounted on the trailer's tongue - leaves it inert, & there is no reason to remove it from the trailer.

If the OP wants to use the TV's controller, then disconnect the 7-pin - leaving the RF module in place & forget about it.

It won't send any sort of confusing signal to the trailer brakes nor to the TV/controller when disconnected.

IIRC - if the OP plugged in the hand-controller into the 12v/Cig. Lighter socket in the cab - while the RF Controller box on the trailer is not connected to the 7-pin, then it will just show "n.c." on the screen of the hand unit.

I don't know if that clears it up, but I tried!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 02-13-2019, 02:00 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
I learned something here. Did not know about the RF controller. OP please disregard post #7.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:18 AM   #16

2017 22' Sport
Chicago , Illinois
Yes, you guys nailed it! Sorry I didn't include a photo, but the trailer is in storage for the Chicago winter!

I learned a lot from your experience. Thanks again!

Andy
Old 02-13-2019, 05:57 AM   #17
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Ok what did you find or figure out?

That’s how the forum learns, feedback.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Silver Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahrfarm View Post
I’d just remove the trailer mounted and use the truck. The built in controllers work great.
That is what I did!! Works great.
gordyfj49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we use the Tekonsha P4 on our audi q5 pulling a 22FB
we also use sway control and WD

the three work like a charm
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #20
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva52 View Post
That is what I did!! Works great.

Eva52 - no need for you nor the OP to remove the trailer mounted RF controller - just disconnect it from the 7-pin.

It's a bonus for a future buyer if/when you sell the trailer - even if you never use it yourself.

BTW folks - I disconnect my RF on the trailer to connect to the brake switch on my power dolly every time at home. There is NO / ZERO conflict when disconnected.

Cheers!
Tom

///////