Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2019, 08:35 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I have and love both. The bed rug was a freebie when I bought our Retrax cover, would not have bought it otherwise. Now that I’ve used it for over a year, I’d buy another in a heartbeat for another truck. Love the Retrax Pro cover too. The key to a spray in liner is a good installer.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:33 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
Can't go wrong with either, but I vote for the Bed Rug for Airstreaming. I had a Line-X in a F-150 for 12 years, no issues, looked as good as new when sold truck. Did some bulk mulch hauling, wood and pallets slid in and out, no bulk gravel. This was pre-Airstream. On my current 2014 F250, I went with the Bed Rug and very satisfied. Great for storing camping gear, nothing slides, nothing gets scratched. I have not used for bulk material hauling. I use a plastic tarp for the dirty items and also use a boot hook to push/pull items from the front of the bed. I use a bed cover, so rug never exposed to the elements.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:44 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
I’m on my second truck with a rubber mat. I would not do it any other way. Things do not slide and it’s easy to clean. I’ve not had any moisture issues or paint loss issues.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #24
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
After various configurations over the years, I use a spray-in bedliner (Rhino), to protect the bed (sides and floor) and a rubber mat to save the knees when rummaging around inside.

I've had a drop in plastic liner, which retained lot's o' moisture promoting rust in the bed. Same thing with a rubber mat unless I "aired out" the bed on occassion. My concern with the rug liners would be the same as with a drop-in plastic liner - retention of moisture.

If I had a cap over the bed, I'd use a bed rug but open air, Rhino or Linex.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
1967 22' Safari
Leawood , Kansas
The Hidden Extra is a Smooth Floor with the Bedrug

I put a BedRug in my 2010 F-150 and traded for a 2018 F-150. The dealer already had sprayed the bed and I took it on a trip to a rally in Tennessee and things banged and clanged around and left white paint from a spare propane cylinder that I had strapped to a corner. I never had anything move much with the BedRug in the 2010, so I put a BedRug floor only in the 2018. I like them, because I do some woodworking and restoration and I like my plywood and hardwoods to come home without marks on the wood. The real advantage of the BedRug floor only or whole bed liner is the floor is now smooth. You can sleep in a sleeping bag with the tonneau cracked if you want and my generator doesn't move around. The dealer salivated when they saw my bed condition in my 2010. I hauled greasy stuff and got hydraulic fluid stains from farm activities and it cleaned up well. I would have done the whole bed thing again if my bed hadn't been sprayed by the dealer. The junction to the tailgate and the bed would sometimes slip a little with the whole bed BedRug. Great products and easy to install yourself.
docflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Love Bedrug

We have same truck and have used the Bedrug now on two vehicles. LOVE it! Easy on the knees, vacuums up with shopvac or just sweep it out. Only issue was with Velcro strips but company sent us new tape strips for free when old ones wore out from dust/dirt.
quinnkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver , Washington
Bed liner

Our two cents would be this: for our new Ram 1500 we wanted a toneau cover with versatility. We installed the Backflip REVOLVER X2. Rolls up nearly completely out of the way for tall items and rolls tight , locks with tailgate, sheds water, will hold 400 lbs we love it. Underneath for the bed we wanted a tough, removable, water proof , spill proof, smoother surface material so item slide like furniture, camping gear etc. weathertech was the answer. A laser measured bed liner AND tailgate liner. It velcos on the bed so it can be held tight AND removed if you wish. I have had everything on it , bricks, dirt, suit cases, firewood, bikes, generators , gasoline, NO issues. You can make it look brand new with soap and water and then Armor All or any dressing you want. No runs, no chips, no errors :-)
Marko Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:57 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace-n-Pup View Post
Thanks everyone for comments. Truly appreciate the time all of the experienced Airstreamers take to post in this forum so it makes it easier for us newbies to make the best decisions for each situation. I think we are going to try the bed rug and if we don't like it we can have it removed and then do the linex. In the end we really won't be hauling alot of mulch, rocks etc and the bed rug will probably be a better fit for our situation. I liked the comment about using a big canvas tarp if we do have to haul something like mulch.

Good for you. You have an open mind and are making a decision based on your lifestyle and interest. That is how it should be. After reading through this thread I realize that they are all good ways to go. It is up to you as an individual. I have never had a bed rug. I have installed the Linex liner on three of my trucks, on the last two I also put a factor rubber bed rug on top. I don't want anything sliding around the back of my truck. I also use my truck to haul things, mulch, clippings, firewood and gravel a few times or two. I do not have a topper either. My system works well for me. It might not work so well for others. Glad to hear you will get something that works for you. This is what a forum is all about. Just don't ask what kind of hitch you should use.

aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Jacksonville Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Good for you. You have an open mind and are making a decision based on your lifestyle and interest. That is how it should be. After reading through this thread I realize that they are all good ways to go. It is up to you as an individual. I have never had a bed rug. I have installed the Linex liner on three of my trucks, on the last two I also put a factor rubber bed rug on top. I don't want anything sliding around the back of my truck. I also use my truck to haul things, mulch, clippings, firewood and gravel a few times or two. I do not have a topper either. My system works well for me. It might not work so well for others. Glad to hear you will get something that works for you. This is what a forum is all about. Just don't ask what kind of hitch you should use.

Or what the best TV is. LOL
Grace-n-Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:52 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Bed rug is not easy to clean!
We will be putting a plastic liner in our new truck - then we can haul and rinse out.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:58 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Mockingbird Heights , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Bed rug is not easy to clean!
We will be putting a plastic liner in our new truck - then we can haul and rinse out.

In 14 yrs of owning a bed rug all I've ever needed is a vacuum cleaner.

Even then, the floor easily unzips and comes out for pressure cleaning if needed.
Gondul is offline   Reply With Quote