Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
LineX

Hi all ,I just had my bambi front sprayed with linex.It is in gray and looks great.A good protecive for road debri.$550.00, it adhears very well and road grim is easy to clean up.what do you think?
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Don’t know about “LineX”, but a few weeks ago I started a thread asking about similar product called Xzilon 3. The thread was called “Xzilon 3 on Aluminum” and no one responded. Perhaps the two products were developed to perform a similar function.

I was not referring to the half dozen other Xzilon automotive products on the market. But rather only to the Boeing approved “Xzilon 3” Aircraft Exterior Corrosion Inhibitor. And asked if owners of vintage and newer Airstreams have considered or used “Xzilon 3” to protect their newly cleaned & buffed exterior aluminum. Its suppose to reduces aerodynamic drag, protects against ultraviolet damage, and inhibits corrosion, etc.
Modern chemistry has developed some wonderful thing- -but we need to verify that they really do what they say it can do.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
firedog -- I have seen sprayed on coatings that seem to work quite well in the front lower quarters, in the same position as stainless steel segment protectors. Did you do the same area? I will repeat -- owners of such applications have been very happy.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Firedog , can you post some pictures . I'm trying to come up with something for front end protection also . I've seen one in black but I would be more interested in grey .

PS , Did you get the door lock resolved?
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
linex

Sorry for the lack of response,I didnot get a notice that this thread was active.my appologies.I will shoot some pics of the grey linex and my lock is ok now thanks.I am new here on the forms.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I used this same material on the running boards of my restored 52 Ford. I had it made to match the paint and it has held up beautifully for about 4 years now. The truck has an oak and stainless bed; however, I sometimes wish I had used the spray on material, it would have allowed me to leave the truck outside for longer periods.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	30222  
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
I saw firedog's Linex application a few weeks ago and I must say it looked pretty nice. I was surprised at how thick the Linex went on, it looked to be better than a 1/4" thick and just shy of a 1/2. He went with more of a charcoal grey...stuff looks super durable. I think once you make the app though there is no turning back...the stuff looks pretty permanent.
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I have the Line-X sprayed on material in the bed of my truck in black. I have to say that the product has performed better than I expected over the last 4 years. I have seen other brands fail but believe most of those issues are surface prep and not the product.

I too would like to see some pictures, please.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley
Don’t know about “LineX”, but a few weeks ago I started a thread asking about similar product called Xzilon 3. ...
I was not referring to the ...Boeing approved “Xzilon 3” Aircraft Exterior Corrosion Inhibitor. ...
Is this stuff clear? Can it be applied by a DIY? What's the danger that the oil residue from polishing will inhibit performance of the coating (getting the shell super clean is not easy)?

Zep
Old 12-30-2006, 11:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
I have the Line-X sprayed on material in the bed of my truck in black. I have to say that the product has performed better than I expected over the last 4 years. I have seen other brands fail but believe most of those issues are surface prep and not the product.

I too would like to see some pictures, please.
I have also had it on the bed the my truck for the past 7 years, and am very satisfied. The only thing I did shortly after having it put on my truck was to put a rubber mat on the inside of my tailgate since the Line-X was rather hard on my knees -- I'm forever crawling in and out of the back of my truck (I also have a cap on it so wtanding up is not an option.)

Although Line-X can be ordered in a number of colors, I understand that black is the only color that is guaranteed not to fade. However, if grey fades, who's going to notice?

I was recently considering buying a Boulder Drift Boat, and one of their options is Line-X applied to the oak trim on the gunnels (see Boulder Boat Works, Inc. - Custom Driftboat Features Page #1 for some pictures of this application). If it will adhere to wood used extensively in and around water, then I don't know why it wouldn't work on aluminum on an Airstream.

John
Old 12-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
How does the Herculiner diy compare to LIne-x? I am considering it for the bed in our 75 Chevy C10.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:13 PM   #12
Craftsman

I had Line-X sprayed in the bed of my F350 as soon as I bought it. A great investment and the product most recommended on wwwthedieselstop.com forum. John , I love that boat! I'm going to have to look into them a bit more.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
How does the Herculiner diy compare to LIne-x? I am considering it for the bed in our 75 Chevy C10.
There are alot of other brands that do the spray in bedliner stuff - Line-x is the only one I know about and it has been in several of my co-workers trucks also. We had - I said had, the Hurricane messed up his business - an excellent installer and the warranty was bulletproof through the company. I like the fact that he took everything that was removable - including the bed bolts - out before spraying and if they needed spraying he did it seperate to insure they could be removed later - that has already paid off. BTW - they mix up alot extra to do each job - this guy had several "extra" jobs hanging around for when he did the beds of trucks - lawn furniture, ATV racks, boat stuff, and he also did our gun club shooting benches - I say that , if you get your truck done and have other stuff you may ask and see if they will just throw that in. My father-in-law has the Rhino Lining in an awful "they say" matching blue for his Dodge Ram - it has already failed and curled on the top of the bed rail in one year - mine is 4.5 years old.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I saw Firedog's sprayed on liner/rock guard and it looked excellent. It was surprisingly thick and completely covered all the rock dings on the front of his trailer - it was textured but no dents were visible whatsoever. It even conformed perfectly to the belly band trim; retained the detail of all the grooves. I'm sold and will start looking for a local installer.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
photos would be nice. I've got little dings all the way up to within a few inches of the bottom of the window. How high, Firedog, did you apply this stuff?

Zep
Old 12-30-2006, 02:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I too had LineX (black) sprayed in the bed of my pickup. It's been there about 6 months and I'm totally happy with it. It has a lifetime warranty too. My installer did an excellent job. I took about 2.5 hours for the job and was immediately ready to use, although they say wait 24 hours before placing heavy objects in the truck bed. It cost me $400 to have the bed done.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I had my truck bed done about 2 and a half years ago now. It looks the same as new. I don't haul a lot but for the times I have, nothing has affected it.

I don't know how much weight it would add, but I would consider using it on the roof (in the appropriate color) of an A/S or SOB to solve leak and/or hail dent issues.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:16 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
I'm glad to hear good reviews about Linex. I bought an 06 PSD used and the bed has a few scratches in it though it does have a Tonneau cover to help protect it. I'll probably go with the black for my bed liner.
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
I don't know how much weight it would add, but I would consider using it on the roof (in the appropriate color) of an A/S or SOB to solve leak and/or hail dent issues.
Now, there's an idea . Have the roof done in white. Seems like it would solve the hail problem and have some insulating qualities as well. Kind of like a rubber roof on an SOB.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Hey, I could spray my whole Argosy with a light covering of this stuff and be set for years. With the darker mid stripe sprayed too, my worries would be over. Honestly, I would consider spraying the roof and the front. Let us know if anyone tries this.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote