Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Balancing the weight on the AS

After reading a lot of the advice on weighing the TV and AS and paying attention to the axle and hitch weight on the vehicles, I finally went to a CAT scale and it was as easy as was reported, EXCEPT not being tall I need a stick to push the call button up high.

I got a weight for the TV unhooked, and one for the TV and AS together. What I discovered is that prior to putting new axles on my 1990 Excella 29' I was clearly overweight. I may be Ok now, since the upgrade from 3200 lb axles to 3500 by JC along with new brakes.

I couldn't get each axles weighed since they are so close together and the dividing crack on the scales wasn't properly right between them. I'll take another try at that one.

I also couldn't get a side to side weight on my axles. So...the first or second axle could be still overloaded and the other one underloaded...still to be determined. Also the axle may be within capacity but one side may be overloaded and the opposite side underloaded. How do I determine a side to side weight? Do any of the scales have the capability to weigh each wheel so you will really know?

I could move a few things from one side to the other if I knew, and better balance the weight, and stress. Anyway I did weigh my tongue weight before going to the scales by using the doctor type scales, a large board, etc. and it came out at 850 rather than the 700 the 1990 Owners manual said. I'm going to buy one of those small scales to weigh tongue weight, but also wondered if I could use that to put under each axle to weigh them separately. Ideas?

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Gee your in NASCAR country Dirt track, rally racers, roundy round racers and drag racers all use scales to set up their cars, perhaps you could ask around and find a race car shop that would use their scales to weigh each wheel.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Not that this helps OP, but I have a very related question.

background: I just weighed everything (3 run times, one with WD, one without, one TV only) when fully loaded (but dry tanks). I did however weigh each side separately (with WD). I found that I am 600lbs heavier on one side (pantry, sink/stove side). Still within limits for everything. I'm also running only 8% weight on the hitch, which I mean to get up to at least 10% if not 12%. Combination of lithium batteries and fiamma bike rack are probably big contributors to the light hitch weight.

My question is, does anyone know the dry weight left/right on my trailer (2011 27FB international) since I never got around to that before moving into it. Second, how far off balance is too much? That 600lbs is basically 9% heavier on one side. I'm not sure I can get it to an equal weight, I'm wondering what I should shoot for.
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We store our "sundries" under the dining table across from the sink. Such a s cases of wine, whiskey, water. They add up. Next, other weighty things in closet over axles. A closet full can weigh close to a hundred pounds or more...

Anyway, I would prefer the heavier side be on the street side. That way should I drop a tire off the road, it is lighter and easier to recover.

The trailer must be "level" to slightly tongue/ bow high (not because we are a booth bunch)...when rigged to go. With trailer and TV EMPTY I set the tongue/bow about 3/8" higher than level. As you add weight to the AS it will settle and the tongue/bow will seem to be higher because the trailer is lower.

If you add weight to the TV it will reduce the apparent "rise" of the AS tongue/bow/nose.

Weighing individual tire/axle/side is helpful but not too critical as long as you seek balance.

Ideally it is good to have a "set"'way you load out. Then set the tongue height correctly with WD loaded.

It took me several weeks to get things "right", now I can do quite easily and have helped others to set up in about 2 hours... On a ProPride. Less time if the surface is "level"... And doesn't need to be compensated for.

Regarding the low tongue weight.... Do you have your spare tire underneath? LP tanks full?

If so, why is the weight so far astern? I would load with water and recheck tongue weight... If too light it could contribute to instability.. Possible trailer sway...etc...

Oh, our weights are clearly stated in the owner manual and on the inside of our closet door...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Our local DOT,, or road police carry what they call wheel scales or axle scales. Im sure if you nailed one at the local coffee shop he would gladly let you use his scales while he was on his break.. They are pad type drive over scales that one can measure each wheel load.. Problem is they stick up about 3 inches and that wheel or axle will read about 60% of the load more than it should so you need to do some math to measure the difference between both axles and 1 axle and factor back the percentage.

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedpuppy View Post
Not that this helps OP, but I have a very related question.

background: I just weighed everything (3 run times, one with WD, one without, one TV only) when fully loaded (but dry tanks). I did however weigh each side separately (with WD). I found that I am 600lbs heavier on one side (pantry, sink/stove side). Still within limits for everything. I'm also running only 8% weight on the hitch, which I mean to get up to at least 10% if not 12%. Combination of lithium batteries and fiamma bike rack are probably big contributors to the light hitch weight.

My question is, does anyone know the dry weight left/right on my trailer (2011 27FB international) since I never got around to that before moving into it. Second, how far off balance is too much? That 600lbs is basically 9% heavier on one side. I'm not sure I can get it to an equal weight, I'm wondering what I should shoot for.
R to L, you'll have your work cut out for you getting that equal. I would opposite load and not lose to much sleep over it. It's just the way JC saw fit to build it.

I would weigh again with full fresh water.

Was your rig (TV & AS) level when weighed with WD set?, a few inches either way can effect TW quite a bit.

Bob
Old 10-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
I used cat scales at the border (Canadian side near Blaine WA). Unfortunately, I did my first weigh on the south bound side, and my second/third weigh on the north bound side. I ended up 133lbs heavier GCVW on the second scale (scale differences or I have a very magical WD system) but both area's are level and used for commercial trucking.

1st scale:
1st with W/D front 3461 back 3814 trailer 6283 GCVW 13558
right trailer tires 3439
left trailer tires 2822

2nd scale:
2nd w/o W/D front 3219 back 4277 trailer 6195 GCVW 13691
3rd (truck only w/hitch & bars) front 3549 back 3153 GVW 6702

By those weights, the tongue weight with WD is 573, or only 8% of the trailer weight. Without WD it is 794 or 11% (trailer weight calculated at 13691-6702=6989).

I seem to only have transferred 244lbs back to the front tires and 88lbs to the trailer tires. Maybe I should take the WD up another link?

I'm unclear about whether the tongue weight with WD should be at least 10%, or if it needs to be that without WD.

For the side-to-side problem:
I was certainly level, but not straight since I was backing up onto the scale to do each side.
I think we can shift 100-150lbs or so,wife is a serious cooker, most of our GCVW is probably cookware That would reduce the difference to around 3-400lbs which feels better.
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote