Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The company I work for has a 65 mph speed limit. This is to,save fuel and to improve safety.
I travel the posted speed limit with no trailer in my own car. I never exceed the speed limit because it is my belief that we should honor and obey the laws of the land.
I travel 65 in a company vehicle trailer or no trailer (I'm not buying the gas/diesel).
I travel 55 while towing the Airstream to save gas ( I am buying the gas).
Don't worry about all those cars going 75-80. They will go around you. They will not hit you.
I travel in the right lane as much as possible, only moving over to let someone coming up the ramp in and then moving back into the right lane. Sometimes I don't even move over then. I just slow a little more to let the other car in then resume my speed.
In areas where there are 3 or more lanes of traffic in the same direction I will take the middle or middle right lane (the lane of least resistance). Doing this allows the fast drivers to pass on my left and where there are many on/off ramps cars can enter/exit without affecting my travel. I can maintain a constant speed.
If you pay attention as you are traveling the same speeding cars pass you several times on the same trip. I don't know if they get hungry more often, use the bathroom more often, or get fuel more often, but they don't get there any sooner, but have risked getting a fine and increased insurance premiums. I have not taken those chances.
The same thing goes for regular highways with traffic lights. Watch all,those cars speed past you just to be caught at the very next light with you. They are not getting anywhere any faster, they are just displaying their lackmofnpatience and what a great big hurry they are in.
I can watch the same car speeding, running stop signs, running red lights, cutting people off, constantly changing lanes, and when I turn into my driveway they are still just in front of me and I have done none of those things.
I think the reason might be that 99% of all people are selfish and don't pay attention.
It never seems to cross their minds that they aren't getting ahead, but are stressing out other drivers, using more gas, and wearing out their brakes.
There is no circumstance that justifies breaking the law. I don't care if 99% of all drivers exceed the speed limit. That doesn't make it OK for me to do it. Two wrongs don't make a right.
I will the entire 7-8 hour trip to Canopener at 55. When y'all come around me smile and wave. I'll see ya when we get there.
The WBCCI travels at a predetermined safe "slow" speed for a reason.
Keeping up with the "flow" of traffic doesn't justify speeding.
You are no less or more in danger for traveling 55, 60, 65, or 70. It is your personal preference as to where your best fuel economy is.
Exceeding the speed limit, however, is not a matter of personal preference. It is just plain breaking the law. The statistics are real.
Going 70 in a car is one thing. Going 70 while towing is a whole other story. It is like driving 2 cars with 1 steering wheel and it bends in the middle, making it easier to loose control. I speak from experience here. I have damaged a trailer and tow vehicle from hydroplaning, which is basically caused by exceeding the safe speed for conditions.
The only time a driver should even go the posted limit is in optimum conditions- sunny, clear, and dry. In any other circumstance of weather or environment speed should be reduced.
Do I sound like a Fleet Coordinator? Oh well. That's what they call me at work. That is my fancy title that doesn't mean much, but our company is dedicated to 0 injuries and 0 auto accidents. Reducing speed is 1 of many proven ways to meet that goal.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
The company I work for has a 65 mph speed limit. This is to,save fuel and to improve safety.
I travel the posted speed limit with no trailer in my own car. I never exceed the speed limit because it is my belief that we should honor and obey the laws of the land.
I travel 65 in a company vehicle trailer or no trailer (I'm not buying the gas/diesel).
Don't worry about all those cars going 75-80. They will go around you. They will not hit you.......( snip )

.....snip ! ( that was a long post ! )

.....but yes, what he said ! Especially, the part about "they will go around you....they will not hit you".

I've been driving since the late 60's, and I have seen quite a few accidents caused by too much speed, but I can't remember seeing any caused by too little speed. ( I know....I'm sure it happens....but it just ain't as prevalent as the "too much speed" thing ).
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile 55 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
So what! I flew a supersonic fighter
and I still tow at 60-65.
I Responded as to what my qualifications were as to my driving, my hat is off to you as fighter pilot and all vets. I am also vet. but not pilot. I did not fly puddle jumpers not as fast as you did. As far as 60 65 you are not going 45, I tow 65 70 as this is the speed that I feel comfortable at
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #64
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I find traffic lights are the real "great equalizers" in traveling.

Commuting, or running errands, I more often than not end up next to the person who had to pass. Whether towing or solo. Just one of those things I suppose.

Here in Austin area it is like the rats want to be first to the bait.. Let 'em. It is showing up all over as "people" lose the awareness of each others dignity.

I mention this because I feel lousy when I notice I am speeding. It isn't just the getting caught, but what could happen if things went north..... Not worth it.

Also, there was no way I could travel a certain highway at 1/2 posted speed. It was bad road which I am sure flexed my AS a lot. Thing moved which have never moved before... Should an officer have enacted a traffic stop I am confident my reason would be agreed to. If not I will take it to court.

One of my quips , " A screen door is a great invention, however, installing one on a submarine is a lousy application. ". Traffic laws should be obeyed unless conditions warrant differently.

We should run our lives and equipment as designed and within design criteria. In flying there are instruments telling you the design limits... VNE (velocity never exceed) , "do not deeply flaps over x velocity", there are green, yellow and red lines to warn of design limits. Our AS, tow vehicles, loading, weight and balance are crucial, but more forgiving in the automotive world when compared to aviation or nautical ventures.

To me, this means good maintenance, careful speed and deceleration and managing my personal space. If I drive 55 in a 60, I will return a smile and open hand wave to the "archers salute"(bird finger)...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Good points - I commute from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa every day.

I times myself for a week at 75 vs 65.

Results were functionally 2 min saved on a near hour commute.

Fuel efficiency loss taken into account - that loss equated to cost out of my pocket of 60 dollars per hour cost to do that extra speed.

Put in those terms of cost per time saved and it seems less inviting IMO

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Good points - I commute from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa every day.

I times myself for a week at 75 vs 65.

Results were functionally 2 min saved on a near hour commute.

Fuel efficiency loss taken into account - that loss equated to cost out of my pocket of 60 dollars per hour cost to do that extra speed.

Put in those terms of cost per time saved and it seems less inviting IMO
I think you might want to recheck either your grammar or your math. That doesn't make any sense to me. Even at $5.00 a gallon 60 dollars will buy 12 gallons. At even 10 MPG you will go 120 miles on that 12 gallons of gas. I'm sure your drop in MPG must of been much less than 10.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
55mph... Safe... and makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Don't worry about all those cars going 75-80. They will go around you. They will not hit you.
I travel in the right lane as much as possible, only moving over to let someone coming up the ramp in and then moving back into the right lane. Sometimes I don't even move over then. I just slow a little more to let the other car in then resume my speed.
In areas where there are 3 or more lanes of traffic in the same direction I will take the middle or middle right lane (the lane of least resistance). Doing this allows the fast drivers to pass on my left and where there are many on/off ramps cars can enter/exit without affecting my travel. I can maintain a constant speed.
If you pay attention as you are traveling the same speeding cars pass you several times on the same trip. I don't know if they get hungry more often, use the bathroom more often, or get fuel more often, but they don't get there any sooner, but have risked getting a fine and increased insurance premiums. I have not taken those chances.
The same thing goes for regular highways with traffic lights. Watch all,those cars speed past you just to be caught at the very next light with you. They are not getting anywhere any faster, they are just displaying their lackmofnpatience and what a great big hurry they are in.
I can watch the same car speeding, running stop signs, running red lights, cutting people off, constantly changing lanes, and when I turn into my driveway they are still just in front of me and I have done none of those things.
I think the reason might be that 99% of all people are selfish and don't pay attention.
It never seems to cross their minds that they aren't getting ahead, but are stressing out other drivers, using more gas, and wearing out their brakes.
There is no circumstance that justifies breaking the law. I don't care if 99% of all drivers exceed the speed limit. That doesn't make it OK for me to do it. Two wrongs don't make a right.
I will the entire 7-8 hour trip to Canopener at 55. When y'all come around me smile and wave. I'll see ya when we get there.
The WBCCI travels at a predetermined safe "slow" speed for a reason.
Keeping up with the "flow" of traffic doesn't justify speeding.
You are no less or more in danger for traveling 55, 60, 65, or 70. It is your personal preference as to where your best fuel economy is.
Exceeding the speed limit, however, is not a matter of personal preference. It is just plain breaking the law. The statistics are real.
Going 70 in a car is one thing. Going 70 while towing is a whole other story. It is like driving 2 cars with 1 steering wheel and it bends in the middle, making it easier to loose control. I speak from experience here. I have damaged a trailer and tow vehicle from hydroplaning, which is basically caused by exceeding the safe speed for conditions.
The only time a driver should even go the posted limit is in optimum conditions- sunny, clear, and dry. In any other circumstance of weather or environment speed should be reduced.
Do I sound like a Fleet Coordinator? Oh well. That's what they call me at work. That is my fancy title that doesn't mean much, but our company is dedicated to 0 injuries and 0 auto accidents. Reducing speed is 1 of many proven ways to meet that goal.
Thanks m.hony for your post regarding reasons to observe the speed limit (to save fuel, improve safety, and to honor and obey the laws) and for your observations regarding speeders and strategies when vehicles are entering from the on-ramp.

It seems that not only are more drivers today in a hurry, they are also distracted by using cell phones and other hi-tech devices. (Have you noticed that less people today signal lane changes because one hand is holding the cell phone while the other hand is holding the steering wheel, if that!)

The California Highway Patrol re: recreational vehicles: "Vehicles that are towing are required by law not to travel more than 55 MPH regardless of speed limit! (VC Sec. 22406).

In addition to all of that, most Airstream trailers originally come from the factory with Marathon ST tires, and it is generally understood that all ST tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph. So staying below 65 mph while towing will prolong the life of my second set of Marathon tires!
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:49 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Traveling at or below the posted limit is another way to control the space in front of your vehicle.
You must control,the space in front of your vehicle.
Going with the "flow" of traffic takes away this control.
It leads to "wolf packing", a very dangerous situation as multiple cars are traveling together side by side and bumper to bumper. There is no escape route for evasive maneuvers. If the slightest event occurs (a deer entering the roadway) there is a multi-car pile-up.
The way to avoid an accident is to travel "alone". That is no one beside you and maintaining a 5-6 second or more following distance. A tip to gauge following distance is to pick a stationary object (billboard, road sign, mile marker post, etc.). As the car ahead of you passes that stationary object begin counting one thousand, two thousand, three thousand, etc. you should count to five or six thousand before your front bumper reaches that stationary object.
A simpler way of gauging following distance- if you can read the license plate of the car in front of you, you are too close and need to increase following distance.
Increasing following distance can also help prevent you from being hit from the rear by another driver. When a panic stop occurs, you can decrease speed more gradually allowing those behind you time to see the danger and slow down.
All the annoying situations on the highway are caused by speeders, not those in the right lane traveling under the speed limit.
Try it yourself. Go 75 one day and notice how many times you change lanes or have to pass or slow down to maintain your speed. Then go 70 and notice you hardly ever have to pass or slow down or change lanes. I will always take the option that requires less action/interaction on my part and arrive more rested and less stressed.
Remember the things you learned in Driver's Ed or the Driver's Handbook when you got your Driver's license at age 15 or 16. Those good habits worked then and they work now.
If you are a speeder and have not received a citation or been in a crash you are just plain lucky. Quit gambling. Your luck will run out one day.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I travel at whatever speed I have to, to not be in a wolf pack. To me the hazards of other vehicles being nearby is 10 times more dangerous as a little extra speed. Speed combined with everyone being 3 feet off each other's bumpers is a recipe for disaster. I hate idiots going slow in the fast lane and the ones that sit there drag racing a truck for 30 mins are beyond stupid. Trucks are hazard zones because they drive like maniacs going 80+ many times. They can't always see you. Tires blow out and you don't know where the tires pieces are going to go. You get pelted with rocks. You can't see hazards in front of you. Trucks passing me is far less disturbing than cars passing at 100 MPH. I like to have a 360 picture of what is around me. There are areas where I can't see pulling a trailer but I like to know what is going on in the mirrors. I don't tail gate so I can spend more time looking in the mirrors and paying attention to what is coming up on me from behind. Being alert is the key to safety while towing even more than when driving solo.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
PharmGeek --

I know this is a tangent from your question, but have you considered looking at travel via the pre-interstate farm roads? I've driven many of them between Bangor Maine in the North, Savannah Ga in the south and through Ohio in the far west. I've typically found the 55 MPH limits preserved, less big rig and road-pack traffic and a far more enjoyable experience; allowing one to enjoy the trip from point A to point B as well as the experience at point B when you arrive. (Who knew that portions of Route 1 are scenic highways with amazing views and miles of uninterrupted stretches?)

Yes, the roads tend not to be leveled or straightened out as the highways can be, and yes there are often annoying small towns sitting in the way with their stop lights and speed limit changes approaching and embarking from; but for the most part you gain the perks of the enjoyment of travel, lots of antique shops, the occasional pig roast in August.

I don't miss the efficiencies the highway systems introduce and while traveling DC to Boston may take two hours longer, I am most refreshed by the experience.

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Another character you risk finding while following close is the guy or gal looking for a lawsuit or disability by getting rear-ended.

You and your trailer will find him much sooner than a driver without a heavy trailer in tow.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #72
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Another character you risk finding while following close is the guy or gal looking for a lawsuit or disability by getting rear-ended.

You and your trailer will find him much sooner than a driver without a heavy trailer in tow.

doug k
Sad but true.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #73
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We don't quite get the idea that driving around 60 mph is problematic because you will be the slowest car on the road.

So what? No bigs. Somebody's gotta be the slowest. Driving isn't some kind of machismo contest. For us, slow is good because we can get about 15 mpg at slower speeds, including with serious mountain driving, and we lose that advantage with a heavy foot on the pedal.

Driving courteously at slower speeds occasionally includes (safely) pulling over to the side if we are backing up a line of vehicles on a 2-lane road with no passing lane. Around here, there are usually enough passing lanes that this isn't a problem.

In Canada (Ontario & BC, anyway) the top posted speed limit is 100 kph, which roughly translates into 60 mph.

We second the idea of choosing the 2-lane highways where feasible, as you see so much more and they are usually (though not always) posted at lower speed limits.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #74
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
These data on traffic fatalities per state may be of interest. They are adjusted to show fatalities per 100,000 people, to level out the effect of state population size.

Montana (4th worst) has a 70 mph speed limit on the 2-lane windy mountain road we drove home on last week. They also allow triple-bottom towing: truck, trailer, boat. Just cuz it's legal doesn't mean it's safe.

Traffic Deaths by State - Fatal Car Crash Statistics
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
IanPoulin....its something I will have to consider...I know that there are such highways down here in Alabama..Ive traveled some of them....they tend to be much more scenic....good points for sure!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Alot of accidents arise out of the disparate speed of vehicles. Very fast vehicles passing very slow vehicles. So slower is not always safer - you could be struck just tootling along minding your own business. It's better to keep up somewhat with the flow of traffic.

Saying that, there is no way I'm towing above 70. Just too fast for my comfort zone. I generally set my cruise for 3 to 5 below the posted speed limit. That way, I'm fairly well assured of not having to do alot of passing myself, as well as actually being able to use my cruise control.
wncrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Rather than a certain speed, t's probably about maintaining a very safe distance from the vehicle in front of you, and not traveling too far below the average speed of the traffic you are in. Speed must be adjusted to roadway conditions, traffic, weather, road roughness for safety, as well as your own abilities (not all 80-year-olds think they're race car drivers).

For example, 50-55 may be a bit slow in heavy traffic moving 70-75. But 60-65 would not be.

On the open road 55 would be much safer in light traffic moving 70-75.

If the weather goes downhill, snow or ice, it all changes.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
For us, number on dry daylight interstates with light traffic is between 60 and 65.. Number goes down at night, when wet, or when weather and traffic are both bad...

One really useful tip I learned at Advanced Motorcycle School: The ONLY safety margin you have is the space between you and the vehicle ahead, and the person tailgating you on your back bumper gets to share half of it.. What that means is that even an idiot on your rear bumper is less likely to hurt you and your trailer if you leave space ahead of you in traffic. If you do have to stop quickly, you can be a little less panicked, and give the fool behind a little more room to react.. Same principle works really well with the trailer.. My primary focus for safety is to leave room in front for stupidity to occur, and hope the concurrent stupidity behind can share in a portion of our wisdom by leaving a little extra room.. Maintaining safe spaces almost more critical than exact speed at which you are towing, within reason. Laws of physics do begin to intervene at 65+ when you consider actual momentum and energy of 6 or 7 tons barreling along on 8 little 6"x6" patches of rubber..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If one looks at the white/gray hair in most Airstream photos and consider the acquisition cost of the newer Airstreams, these drivers are long past the "drag race to the next stop light" phase of their lives. Our reactions are not those we had in our twenties.

Thus doing anything to give us time to react to a deteriorating situation is smart and that definitely means driving slower with increased distances between the driver and vehicles in front.

I am looking way down the road for tail light activations and looking close for tire parts. There is no desire on my part to be involved with the speed jockeys weaving in and out of traffic. If a driver is texting as they come alongside, I back off on the power and let them mosey on down the road. I try and keep a mental picture where they are in front of me as they are more apt to cause an accident.

YMMV

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If you have the time, take the back roads and stay off the interstate especially on busy weekends. Traveling during the week is much better than traveling to FL on spring break week. If you have kids and they are in school, the government forces everyone to take vacation at the same time making the roads unsafe and the destinations crowded and unwelcoming. Alabama has played political games to extend the summer tourist season and shorted Christmas break and gotten rid of fall break which is our favorite time to camp. If your kids are not school age yet, travel now while you can. As they get older, it gets harder to get away. We have considered home schooling on the road at some point. My point is that once the government decides when you take vacation, driving safety goes down. You are usually forced to travel on busy weekends and you are usually in a hurry because of the narrow window you have to travel in. The best weekend travel day is Sunday. Fridays and Saturdays are usually bad. Do you homework on route planning. Try different routes when you don’t have the trailer. Google maps has a traffic monitor that can help you decide when to take back roads to get away from traffic jams. You can also use that app to find back roads that are not Podunk stop light hell. If you have ever been to Gadsden, AL or Boaz, AL you know what I am talking about.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote