Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: When your Airstream is stored outside, do you _____?
No cover used, bare naked aluminum 216 83.08%
Breathable cover used 9 3.46%
Weather resistant cover used 10 3.85%
You have inside storage 25 9.62%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2007, 07:54 PM   #21
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
We have been having some heavy winds the last few days. My cover, which has survived 10 years (?) was finally shredded when I got home today.
We don't have any leaks so I was considering not replacing it.
It is a tight fit with the 25', even lifted up the AC just clears the top pole.
I don't want to accelerate any possible leaks or corrosion though. But it looks like most folks don't bother with covers; do all you "bare naked aluminum" folks have any leaks?
What is the reason you don't cover up?

Bill
Old 04-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
This is our first year with an Airstream. It was fine uncovered parked on the side of our house. Then Winter and Snow. We brushed and brushed and brushed the snow off. Then we decided...enough of keeping the snow off.

We purchased from Harbor Freight a Vinyl Carport similar to Stefrobrts. It is still in the box. I believe $200. It has been nasty and we are waiting for warmer weather.

Perhaps we will leave uncovered until Winter. First time experience. Don't have good or bad comments at this time. Will keep you posted.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I don't get the shakes when we get those severe storm forcasts which include hail.

FYI I added an inside storage option to the poll.

Jack
In the last year, we found indoor storage, too. Such peace of mind!

Randi
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #24
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
no cover...
I live close by the water and not too much trees around to cut the wind, so if I put a cover on it it would have been... (I should have done that, how I didn't think at it) Polished...

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
We have been having some heavy winds the last few days. My cover, which has survived 10 years (?) was finally shredded when I got home today.
We don't have any leaks so I was considering not replacing it.
It is a tight fit with the 25', even lifted up the AC just clears the top pole.
I don't want to accelerate any possible leaks or corrosion though. But it looks like most folks don't bother with covers; do all you "bare naked aluminum" folks have any leaks?
What is the reason you don't cover up?

Bill
Mainly because I haven't decided which way to go on a cover. I do plan on getting one at some point, with or without the leak that showed up last weekend.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, indoor storage or storage under some sort of cover (not cover applied directly to the shell) is best to protect the unit from hail and misc things, but in all honesty, my Safari has been treated like a baby....cared for very well, to the point of being ACD.

It's indoors more months out of the year than out (maybe 3 weeks on average per year) and frankly, given the nightmare issues I'm having with the exterior finish, I really think it just doesn't matter much, other than my piece of mind when bad storms roll in to have it under cover. Vintage units, sure, big benefit, but for the new ones with the new coating, based on Andy from Inland's post what Airstream was suppose to have said about the newer Alcoa coating, makes me really wonder if it's all worth it.......really.

Sorry I sound so down, I'm just totally floored looking at my Airstream these days having just got back from seeing it in storage and seeing the finish deteriorate even further.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Sorry to hear your Airstream finish has deteriorated. I read the poll and it appears most people Do NOT cover. Your rig is still beautiful..we all experince "unwanted blemishes".
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #28
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Looks like a great solution...unless you are in tornado alley.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:59 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
With the reappearance of this thread, I thought I would add how our Bambi is stored. Outside, in the rain and sun (we do not have snow here at home), with pounds of tree pollen, needles, twigs, and leaves falling on and becoming resident on it. It is washed moderately regularly with a weak-kneed power washer and wiped down. No soap or detergent, but Walbernized 2-3 times a year. As mentioned in the thread where Silvertwinkie has documented his horrible corrosion problems, we have had no corrosion problems.

The white roof paint oxidizes slightly, but Walbernize takes that off. We replaced a deteriorated (probably UV-caused) AC shroud (cover) which leaked. That was cheap and easy. Smears of caulking on the roof are now crumbling, but not yet in the critical areas.

I like having the Bambi in the open because I can inspect everything easily at any time. That seems particularly important now that I need to keep and eye on that caulking.

Following the thread discussing Silvertwinkie's and others' corrosion problems, I have begun to wonder if it wasn't just a bad batch of clearcoated aluminum Airstream received from the supplier around 2003 or 2004.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
How about hail?
Here in NM I am more concerned about hail than rain, wind or snow. Anybody have any experience on how an vinyl shelter stands up to a good hailstorm?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic
How about hail?
Here in NM I am more concerned about hail than rain, wind or snow. Anybody have any experience on how an vinyl shelter stands up to a good hailstorm?
The intense sun dries out vinyl and it cracks. I don't think yinyl would hold up well at all. In Florida, I park ours under a metal carport, the metal roof steel is painted on both sides and the supports are of 3 inch galvanized tubing and the carport is 4 feet longer than our trailer. It keeps the sun off and it protects the trailer in case of hail. Our carport is 28 feet long, 10 feet high at the sides, 13 feet high in the center and cost around $850, including delivery and set up.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I spent 3 years rebuilding my barn so, of course, my Safari gets to live inside during the winter months. That puts it close to all my tools so I get to "putz" on it at my leisure. That part of the barn is unheated so I keep one or two 40 watt light bulbs burning in it all the time. At temperatures of 10 to 15 degrees the lights keep the interior in the mid 40's and provide needed air circulation. Not sure yet what I will do when the gov'ment makes incandescent bulbs illegal?????? I have them "heating" two trailers right now and have used them to keep my welding rod dry.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #33
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Tradewind
The intense sun dries out vinyl and it cracks. I don't think yinyl would hold up well at all. In Florida, I park ours under a metal carport, the metal roof steel is painted on both sides and the supports are of 3 inch galvanized tubing and the carport is 4 feet longer than our trailer. It keeps the sun off and it protects the trailer in case of hail. Our carport is 28 feet long, 10 feet high at the sides, 13 feet high in the center and cost around $850, including delivery and set up.
Hi TW, Can you PM me details of that carport?
That sounds nice...

Thanx, Bill
Old 01-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
If we are not traveling our Airstream is in it's stall in our barn. We built our barn to house Airstreams (ours, my folks and if my folks aren't here, my sister's Argosy Minuet 6.0). We really love our Airstreams....

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb
I spent 3 years rebuilding my barn so, of course, my Safari gets to live inside during the winter months. That puts it close to all my tools so I get to "putz" on it at my leisure. That part of the barn is unheated so I keep one or two 40 watt light bulbs burning in it all the time. At temperatures of 10 to 15 degrees the lights keep the interior in the mid 40's and provide needed air circulation. Not sure yet what I will do when the gov'ment makes incandescent bulbs illegal?????? I have them "heating" two trailers right now and have used them to keep my welding rod dry.
Sam
Start stocking up on spare bulbs now
Old 09-27-2021, 09:12 AM   #36

2017 Basecamp
Santa Fe , New Mexico
We are not allowed to store our Basecamp uncovered where we live to have to cover it. Very frustrating as we have to cover it until we can build a lean to. How do you keep mice, etc out of your trailers without using poison. thanks
vkvo
vkvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:42 AM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
OK who tells you it has to be covered? HOA, city?

Bob
🇺🇸

Ours gets 'covered' every Winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6773BEFD-2E97-4CA5-82E4-CD686906CD64_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	405000