View Poll Results: Did you ever serve in the military (or are you serving now)?
Army 32 27.35%
Navy 34 29.06%
Marines 11 9.40%
Air Force 25 21.37%
Coast Guard 6 5.13%
another branch 6 5.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2006, 09:37 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Parallel Careers!

I've been a cop (deputy sheriff) for 26 years. I was active duty Air Force for four years and Air Force Reserve for 23 more and still going! I love the Air Force and it's been terrific to me. I've been all over the world and seen some incredible sights. And, yes, I got activated for Desert Shield and Storm and Somalia and Kosovo and now although not activated, I fly missions (I'm a Boom Operator on the KC135R Tanker) for Homeland Defense as well as frequent trips overseas in support of Iraq and Afganistan operations. Usually end up using all my military leave and burning some vacation and comp time to do it but it's a kick in the butt....Best part time job anyone could have and I'm proud to do it.

'05 30' Classic rear queen with an '11 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel tow vehicle
Avatar is inflight refueling of an F-15 over job ever!
flynmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:07 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Army -3 years

Enlisted in 1955 to beat the draft. Chose the Signal Corps as it offered electronic training. ETS in 1958 as SP-2 (E-5).
My opinion is that the draft sort of forced the issue of serving our country, no disrespect intended to the present volunteer forces. It might have been a good thing after all.

herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I am a pacifist. Even though I do not goad others to accept my beliefs I do believe there are other honorable ways to serve our great nation along with the military.
I have served our country by serving an inner city church, one in the poorest zip code of our city. We provided services to homeless families, parent-less children, drug addicts, and those struggling to gain dignity. Often we needed to pass the collection plate several times on Sunday morning just to keep the doors open and our services going. I served as a chaplain in a children's hospital to those who had lost hope at a very young age. Then I served as a chaplain to a population of imprisoned youth.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member
1974 29' Ambassador
Xenia , Ohio
Air Force - 20 years next month
xFieldTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member
1976 21' Globetrotter
eugene , Oregon
two sons serving now. oldest son starting 7th year in the army and youngest is still in special forces training after graduating Texas A&M with three years in the corps there. very proud...very scared mom i am with deployment ahead for both.
janetbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:27 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member
1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Cool Army

Two years active duty in 168th AAA Bn (SP4), Ft. Bliss, TX, 1954-56, then active reserve for two years, then discharged from standby reserve in 1962. Also stood 6'4", had a 30" waist, and weighed in at 175 lbs, and had a lot more hair. . . and we were the last group to be clothed in the Eisenhower jacket wool uniforms and brown boots (which we had to dye black about six months later . . . . and hoped the brown wouldn't bleed through while standing for the IG inspection in 104 degree sunshine). My old fatigue jacket still fits without the liner, but awfully tight around the middle!

We were a reassignment Bn for the NCO's returning from Korea, who were assigned to Guided Missile School for new weapons training. Met a lot of fine men who were veterans of WWII/Pacific, and a great bunch that had seen some heavy duty service in Korea. Quite a number had been officers commissioned in battle, then reduced to permanent NCO rank after the war was over. My chief NCO had earlier been a Lt Col and CO of a base in post-war Japan. Col Castle was my Bn CO, (I served in his HQ) and he later served in Viet Nam. I remember seeing him on the evening news testifying before Congress sometime in the 60's. They were really good men, and I still (am amazed that I) get choked up just remembering them. . . The Army was their life, and I was proud to serve. . . though I really didn't like it, and was so glad to get out and go on. . .
1996 28ft Classic
2008 Silverado Duramax 2500HD
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:03 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member
2005 31' Classic
Mobile , Alabama
I am a former deputy sheriff, currently active duty Coast Guard. My wife is active duty Navy. We live full time in our 31 classic and I believe the Ben you guys are talking about is my new neighbor down here in the Navy New Orleans camp ground.
Tavis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:21 PM   #36
1973 25' Tradewind
Victoria , BC
Smile Currently Serving

I just finishing my 20th year in the Canadian Air Force, as an aircraft tech, I have no plans to retire yet, I love what I do, I have been on three major tours. the last just two year ago in the middle east.
Herritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:06 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member
1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
I spent 20 years in the USAF as a weather man. It was great fun, although we didn't make enough money to live as well as our civilian counterparts. We did have the opportunity to travel and live in several different places. It was educational for the kids and they got to do things their civilian friends never dreamed of.

My hat is off to Chaplain Kent and others who dedicate themselves to be betterment of their fellow human beings.

I am proud to be an American, I was proud to serve my country. I am proud of the men and women who are serving our country all over the world. They deserve all the respect and support we can muster.
Vic Smith
Director Florida State Rally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #38
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member
1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Talking some time....

i spent 11 years active in the navy....some of the best times of my life....found Christ....found my wife....found good friends and memories for a lifetime.... we own a small company in the orlando are and make more in a day then i used to make in a month...

life in the military is much different then here on the outside....time goes...
1953 Spartan Mansion

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 03:25 PM   #39
Me loves da little twinky
1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Portlandish , State of Flux
Send a message via AIM to Rivka
I'm in the process of marring into the Army, as the love of my life is a Sergeant up here at Fort Lewis. He is a Combat Medic and served 14 months in the 4th ID 1-66 in Iraq and is now a Trauma Medic at the Huge Army hospital on post.
I could not be more proud. Coming from a "alternative" northwest upbringing, Army life has been a pretty big change for me. We have known each other for 13 years or so, at this point we will get through anything together.

Rivka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:13 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Out in the middle of nowhere , California
Blue Star Mom

While I didn't personally serve in the Service, I come from a long line of military personnel, and now my son proudly serves in the Army. So, Army mom I am. I would have enlisted myself, but I was a single parent at the time I seriously considered it.
Proud Wife of Goin Camping
Proud Mother of an American Vet
Proud of my "special" family
crkwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:32 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member
1970 21' Globetrotter
Pickens , South Carolina
Torpedoeman's Mate Here

I joined the Navy in 1974. Just spent 4 years. Everyone thought I was crazy for joining at that time. I was going into the submarine service, but after I was in the sub school for awhile I decided that sunshine was a good thing and I dropped it. I got on a guided missel destroier, the USS Prebble. When I got to Pearl Harbour my ship had the number 15 on one side and 46 on the other side. I was a torpedoeman's mate, anti-submarine warfare

Skip Callaham

RobertC is offline   Reply With Quote