Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
Rubrail & other vinyl trim sources

Is there anyone out there who knows of a dealer for 1.5 in rubrail? And at a DECENT price. Airstream sells it for 50cents/ft. I tried Outdoormart and they want $1/ft and Inland wants slightly less. I wonder, is a 100% markup the way to do business? What a ripoff!!! I don't mind paying a decent markup but get real!! The AS part number for what I need is #201418, orange. And, in spite of trying, it does seem to me that there are UN airstream providers of such materials. I got my T-moulding from Tmoulding.com and find it a good price, but that is all they seem to carry. Thanks

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Rubrail & other vinyl trim sources

Greetings Dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campman View Post
Is there anyone out there who knows of a dealer for 1.5 in rubrail? And at a DECENT price. Airstream sells it for 50cents/ft. I tried Outdoormart and they want $1/ft and Inland wants slightly less. I wonder, is a 100% markup the way to do business? What a ripoff!!! I don't mind paying a decent markup but get real!! The AS part number for what I need is #201418, orange. And, in spite of trying, it does seem to me that there are UN airstream providers of such materials. I got my T-moulding from Tmoulding.com and find it a good price, but that is all they seem to carry. Thanks
The rubrail and beltline molding inserts, unless things have changed in the past 18 months, are only available through Airstream or Airstream dealers. I was fortunate to obtain a very good price on my orange inserts at the Airstream tent at a recent WBCCI International Rally. It seems that these moldings must be something that only Airstream utilizes.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I got my Airstream repair man to order my orange rubrail vinyl inserts in both the small and the large size and paid nowhere near 50 cents a foot. I think it was more like .12 cents a foot. I used Griffith RV Repair in Oklahoma City. You can find Tom on the Airstream site as just a repair service. They ordered mine and shipped it to me. It's worth a try.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Thanks

....for the fast replies. I was, finally, able to order it (to be drop shipped) from Colonial in NJ at 30cents/foot. Certainly better than Inland and others. Thanks for the help.

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
Old 10-15-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Also, anyone needing T-moulding for the table, shelf and bookend case, a great source is www.t-moulding.comThat is about all they do and they have many, many colors. Best of all they will sell you 20 feet or more, not the required 50 or 100 feet of other companies. I had great service and great price from them.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I am still in need of the 1/4" flat molding in orange for my 1979 Argosy. It seems that '79 was the only year that the 1/4" molding was used. Any ideas? I have considered vinyl pinstriping.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
....for the fast replies. I was, finally, able to order it (to be drop shipped) from Colonial in NJ at 30cents/foot. Certainly better than Inland and others. Thanks for the help.
And they probably lost at least $20.00 to $25.00 on the deal, if not more, considering processing labor.

Plus Airstream has a surcharge for small orders.

I guess if a company is large enough, selling some things below cost, to obtain nice publicity, doesn't matter.

Surcharges, fuel charges, lift gate charges, minimum order charges, residential delivery charges, shipping charges are things that cannot be controlled and must be passed on, or that business person must take a loss on the sale.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Re the 1/4 inch flat....where would you use it in the 79? The person from T-moulding emailed me and did say they do carry some flat molding. Might try that site and ask.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
An Andy, selling things at a 100% markup is next to sinful!! It goes both ways in a free society. In terms of the good price, he had a great deal in stock, probably bought when the price was much lower and all he did was cut some from his large stock. I doubt he lost money.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
An Andy, selling things at a 100% markup is next to sinful!! It goes both ways in a free society. In terms of the good price, he had a great deal in stock, probably bought when the price was much lower and all he did was cut some from his large stock. I doubt he lost money. So, eat somethng sweet to get that sour grapes taste out.
Opinions don't count when the costs to run a business stare you in the face.

Old stock vinyl insert, is not a good thing.

The important thing, is that you got what you wanted at a cheap price.

We on the other hand, as well as other vendors, refuse to sell things at a loss, and expect to receive negative comments about it.

Most of us have very expensive buildings to pay for. That's hard to do when things are sold at a loss.

There are "FAR MORE" costs involved with everything purchased for resale, other than it's acquisition costs.

And please keep in mind, that our employees all have families, that like to eat, therefore they also must be paid. Selling things below cost, doesn't work for them.

But again, your happy and that's all that should matter, at least to you.

Andy
Old 10-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #11
Trailerite

1971 23' Safari
Riverton , Missouri
Quote:
I wonder, is a 100% markup the way to do business? What a ripoff!!! I don't mind paying a decent markup but get real!!
What do you consider a decent markup? The people selling need to buy it, store it, pack it, and even pay taxes on it. All this costts money. Where the business is also has to be factored into the cost. If you can get a part from the boondocks, with low rent and wages and taxes, it would cost less, because their bills are lower.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkytheKid View Post
What do you consider a decent markup? The people selling need to buy it, store it, pack it, and even pay taxes on it. All this costts money. Where the business is also has to be factored into the cost. If you can get a part from the boondocks, with low rent and wages and taxes, it would cost less, because their bills are lower.
Michael.

Thanks Michael for your "get real" support.

Maybe someday Airstream will sell bits and pieces of parts to K-mart and Wal-mart.

Unfortunately, and usually, when a person wants an Airstream or Argosy, they are willing to pay the price.

But, when it comes time to buy genuine parts, somehow this, below cost or free, or "WOW" how much did you say that part costs, becomes an expression from a few.

Dealers are independent business owners that have business overheads, as you pointed out.

But to some, that overhead means a roof, and nothing else.

Then the real surprise, happens when that business receives negative comments, because they must make a profit to stay in business, and to cover all the costs when some of those same customers call on a toll free number, to ask "how to do things" since they are a DIY.

Who pays for that?

It certainly won't be a check from the Feds, so you can stay in business.

Ah yes, the new American way.

Everything is free.

Yeah, right.

Andy
Old 10-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Let's not lose sight of the fact that even if Andy is higher on some of his prices, he is still stocking items that we can get nowhere else. Who else would take the time and space to stock a back window for a 1978 Argosy? Where would you get a duplicate item for a 1976 Sovereign that hasn't been manufactured by Airstream for, oh let's see, over 30 years. We can always call Andy. I buy some stuff locally, sure we all do; however, when push comes to shove, we know Inland RV will be there if all else fails us. Besides Andy offered me a tour of his building for just .25 cents. I'm taking him up on it when I go get my window.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby View Post
I am still in need of the 1/4" flat molding in orange for my 1979 Argosy. It seems that '79 was the only year that the 1/4" molding was used. Any ideas? I have considered vinyl pinstriping.
My 75 Argosy uses about a quarter inch orange trim in the aluminum molding that goes around the a/c shroud. I need some too. I don't need to comment on the mark-up issue but I'm gonna. Generally only the seller knows what a fair mark-up is on an item being sold. The buyer is rarely aware of the expenses involved in being able to provide the item or the service. the fact that one person sells something cheaper than another does not mean that one price is fair and the other sinful. Roger
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
An Andy, selling things at a 100% markup is next to sinful!! It goes both ways in a free society. In terms of the good price, he had a great deal in stock, probably bought when the price was much lower and all he did was cut some from his large stock. I doubt he lost money.
Hi chapman; It is a free market buy as you will, but making assumptions of what the dealer paid for an item it is just an empty speculation which does not belong on the forums. Only Andy knows when he purchased it and how much he paid for it. Ist it possible that you shop at Marcus Neiman and give them a 600 percent markup without complaint? If you do not want to pay his price then just move on to Wall-Mart. I have never brought anything from him because he is on the wrong coast for me, but even if I did at a high price you would not hear me knocking his business down. He lost your business and it his loss not yours, why do you than gripe about it? Even at 100 percent markup of $15.00 sale is not worth handling, and maybe that is how he felt about it. I myself own a boat business, and I know about freight charges, surcharges, fuel charges, handling charges, emergency shipper charges. We the business owners get everything passed onto us, and nothing is free anymore. Suck up and go to Wall-Mart, because your gripe is unfounded and unnecessary. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Just for perspective, current womens fashions are normally marked up about 400%.
And they seem to sell lots of clothing.
Al
BigAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
OFF topic people.....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Very good point Roger. After all, we are in America and for the time being we are able to buy what we want from whomever we want. AND we are free to talk about it and disagree. I love this place.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:08 AM   #19
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
It seems to me I read a thread where someone used some garden edging cut to size that fit in the exterior aluminum channel. I could not find that post just now. Anyone else recall that?

of course that only works for you if you want a black insert.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
It seems to me I read a thread where someone used some garden edging cut to size that fit in the exterior aluminum channel. I could not find that post just now. Anyone else recall that?

of course that only works for you if you want a black insert.
Black vinyl molding insert is available through parts stocking Airstream dealers.

Andy