Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2004, 06:31 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Argosy vs. Airstream-sinks and appliances

Is it true that Argosy trailers have enamel sinks and no stove top cover and Airstreams have stainless steel sinks and stoves with a stainless steel top cover?
Rick Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 06:51 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy vs. Airstream-sinks and appliances

Greetings Rick!

Quote:
Is it true that Argosy trailers have enamel sinks and no stove top cover and Airstreams have stainless steel sinks and stoves with a stainless steel top cover?
The answer to your question is that it depends upon model, model year, trim level, and options selected by the original owner. I have known my '64 Overlander since it was new, and the Minuet was one owner and I purchased it directly from the original owner. Neither of these trailers came equipped with any kind of stove top cover while both have double bowl stainless steel sinks. The Overlander even has the International package so the folding stove top cover must have been an option if it were even available that year (it wasn't shown in the factory sales literature that I have).

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:02 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Hello, Kevin

I didn't know that a choice of sink finish or stove top was an option for Airstream or Argosy. I learned something new today. Thank you for that.

Rick
Old 01-22-2004, 07:47 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
All 4 of my 70's vintage (2 Airstream's 2 Argosy's) have had the same double bowl stainless steel sink. The Airstream's and the 76 Argosy all had Moen cartridge single handle faucets. The 78 Argosy had the 2 handle style like was in the 60's Airstream's. I have noticed on the smaller trailers where there was less room (in the 70's vintages) they seemed to use an enameled sink. It may have been a situation of using what was available that fit the space allotted. The 65 Safari I redid had a single bowl enamel sink.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:04 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Hello, Brett

This thread seems to point to the endless variety of choices!

My '73 31' International had the double stainless sink and matching stainless stove top cover.

My '73 Argosy 20' has the double enamel sink and no stove top cover.

P.S. I don't have a bathroom door, but I do have a curtain.

Rick
Old 01-22-2004, 10:08 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Options, options...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Alston
Hello, Brett

This thread seems to point to the endless variety of choices!

My '73 31' International had the double stainless sink and matching stainless stove top cover.

My '73 Argosy 20' has the double enamel sink and no stove top cover.

P.S. I don't have a bathroom door, but I do have a curtain.

Rick
And on our '72 Argosy 20', we have an enameled two-holer sink, and enameled stove with no cover, but we have a bathroom door.
Terry
Old 01-22-2004, 11:23 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Show off!

'Roughing it' is camping in your Argosy without a bath door. Just kidding, of course.

I bought the unit last fall and am in the process of restoring it before going "live". Say, any idea as to how to get the aluminum extrusion piece off so I can mount the door? I find it impossible to reach the curbside end of the piece, so wonder if you have any suggestions.

Rick
Old 01-22-2004, 11:42 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Alston
Show off!

'Roughing it' is camping in your Argosy without a bath door. Just kidding, of course.

I bought the unit last fall and am in the process of restoring it before going "live". Say, any idea as to how to get the aluminum extrusion piece off so I can mount the door? I find it impossible to reach the curbside end of the piece, so wonder if you have any suggestions.

Rick
Outside door, or bath door?
I will look when I go to the farm and visit it, and let you know.
Also, I can take a few pics, and send them to you, if you would like. I just need to know which door? I assume bath door, but you know what happens when you assume...
Terry
Old 01-22-2004, 11:57 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Terry

I am referring to the bathroom sliding door that separates the bath from the cabin, or rest of the unit. I don't have one.

I see way no to get my arm into the door pocket (space between the wall and the shower) to reach the end of the extrusion piece (that acts as the top rail) and unscrew the curbside screw. It looks like the unit never had a door because there is no evidence of a removal effort such as one would find after drilling out the pop rivets to release the streetside end of the extrusion piece. Also, the curtain that functions as a door, was installed by a 'pro' complete with rv style track and hanger assembly with the screws mounted behind the plywood laminate header so the screws are not visable from the cabin!. Nice!! I wonder if the factory delivered the unit sans the door.

Rick
Old 01-22-2004, 12:23 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Bathroom door

It looks like the track for the door was installed, then the door, then the bottom track was installed last. You may have to drill out the rivets or screws that hold your extrusion piece on, then do what was done with mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	im000158.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	4518  
Old 01-22-2004, 12:24 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
And the bottom:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	im000157.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	4519  
Old 01-22-2004, 12:25 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Looks like mine was screwed/riveted on:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	im000156.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	4520  
Old 01-22-2004, 12:36 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Great picture of the bathroom sliding door.

Here is the problem - the sliding door must be mounted to the extrusion piece first and then the extrusion is screwed into place.

To remove the extrusion piece, I've first got to reach the cubside screw, but I can't get my arm into the door pocket. If I could, then I would drill out the pop rivets on the streetside support holder (like the support holder for the ends of a closet pole), remove the remaining two screws in the center of the extrusion and rotate the streetside end of the extrusion backward towards the rear window and to the left and presto, the extrusion and the door are free.

I simply can't reach the rightside screw.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:44 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Unhappy Shower wall

You may have to pull back the shower wall to get at it. I haven't had to do this on mine (yet), have you looked at the threads over on the interior restoration part of the forum? They may have some ideas there, at least now you see how mine is, if you can't see in the pics, there seem to be wooden spacers between the galley wall and the shower wall, so mine may have not had a door at the beginning of its life either.
Terry
Old 01-22-2004, 02:50 PM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Here is the bad news.................

All Airstreams are assembled from rear to front. Meaning the bathroom went in first, then the back wall then the overheads, etc.

This is why you are having a hard time getting to the screws. I tried to ix the doors in my 76 MH but was unable to get to the mounting points either so I left it be. The door was a bit stiff, but we were able to get it to open and close. The door itself hung on a slider like a pocket door. If the door was removed from the slider then it could have been tilted out. Look for holes in the top of the track. There were screws that went through the slider/hanger into the top of the door itself. The holes if you find them would be a sign that the door was removed. Airstream did not leave holes for adjustment. This is what the trouble was with ours. The door had worked a bit loose and was hanging down too far.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote