Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2002, 03:20 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Thank you Cara and Kevin for a warm welcome!!!

Cara: I grew up in Illinois; the little college town of Wheaton which back then was surrounded by corn fields but now is engulfed in concrete and upscale malls and franchise food joints --urban/suburban sprawl 25 mi west of the Loop. Are you in the Chicago area? [By the way, a few years ago I met and old German guy, retired but working as janitor in a Lutheran church, who as young man had purchased an 80 acre farm which he worked for many years with a mule and plow and which he sold eventually for many millions of dollars; it was in area now called Oakbrook, IL.]
It's extr. helpful to know that Excella II and Caravelle are related models; this will help with web searches. Very kind of you to offer to copy stuff; I'll let you know; mucho grat..

Keith: well here we go,

* the serial numb is 24T9B####

* so it wasn't built in Verseilles Ohio; then where/what the heck is "B"? Beloxie? Berlin? Birmingham? Boston? Beverly? Burbank? Battle Creek? Brooklyn? Boulder? Bear Lake? Battavia? Buffalo?

*thanks esp. for the caution about propane issues; I tried getting the gas to work the fridg after running down the battery running it on electric (thinking that since I had 120 v coming from my house that the fridg would know enough not to use the 12volt. Hey, can I get this trailer to be charging up the 12volt battery using house current??

*tandem means two axels and four wheels, right? Do the frames of these gismo's last a long time or will this thing break in half first time I hit a big Massachusetts pothole? Can I replace the shocks ( I think I see four shocks) without killing myself or should I have a mechanic do this?

*amazing that the orig. cream-colored finish and the iron-on orange stripes and lettering are in such good shape! Why don't they cars out of this aluminum stuff?

*thanks for all the info. ; much appreciated!

-Carl
minuet24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 06:29 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy Minuet 22' and 24' (1979?)

Greetings Carl!

I am a native Northern Illinoisan as well. Kankakee was my home until my family moved to Anna, IL when I was in high school. I am now a teacher in Mercer County, IL near Rock Island.

The "B" in your serial number is a curiosity. I can't link it to anything that I have read about Airstream or Argosy - - but the interesting part is the 24T - - confirms that there were 24' Minuets produced - - I was beginning to wonder as I don't think that I have ever seen anything other than the 6.0 Metre Minuets at the last five International Rallys.

It sounds like the power plug for the Univolt is unplugged, or its circuit breaker may be turned off if your battery isn't receiving any charge while hooked up to 120 volt. The Univolt is plugged into a standard 120 volt electrical outlet and this plug may have somehow gotten disconnected. There are also fuses on the univolt that may need to be replaced. My best guess as to where the Univolt would be located in your Minuet is in either the bathroom wardrobe or under the streetside bed. It is also possible that a previous owner may have wired in a disconnect switch somewhere in the trailer.

Unless the refrigerator is a replacement, I wouldn't anticipate that it would have a 12-volt option. In the 1979 literature that I have there is no mention of a 3-way refrigerator option, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it might not have been an option added after the literature was published. Or a later aftermarket replacement.

I haven't heard anything regarding any issues about the durability of the frames on Minuets, but yours is the first 24' unit that I have heard about. Typically, the only frame related issues with Airstream products relate to the problems with larger (26' and longer) trailers of the late 1960s to late 1970s where separation, droop and other issues could develop due to deferred maintenance. There is always the possibility of rust damage when a rig has been operated on salt-covered roads in the winter or exposed to salt air along the coast for extended periods of time.

The Minuet like all other Airstreams and Argosys of the period came from the factory with Henschen DuraTorque axles that include a shock absorber at each wheel. These shocks are a common replacement item and are rather specific to Airstream/Argosy due to their horizontal mounting. I have had the shocks on both my Overlander and Minuet replaced in the last 12-months utilizing the shocks sold through Airstream dealers. There has been a tremendous amount of discussion lately about replacing these axles when they fail - - Inland RV has a complete page detailing how to inspect your axles. I had my dealer replace shocks and inspect axles on both of my units as I don't have the patience to deal with such repairs.

You can check the axle inspection information at:

http://inlandrv.com/articles/dura-torque-axle-92001.htm

I know from what I have learned about my '64 Overlander that it will need new axles very shortly - - less than 2 years. My Minuet is several years away at least according to the measurements during the current inspection. I can't complain too much about my Overlander needing axles as it must have in excess of 150,000 miles on its chasis and I suspect more like 250,000 miles.

The paint that is most likely to fail on virtually any Argosy product is that found on either the front or rear domes - - the galvanized steel doesn't seem to hold paint as well as the aluminum. You are fortunate to have the original bronze trim inserts - - mine have been replaced with Airstream blue strips somewhere along the line.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 10:09 AM   #23
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Minuet 24 Hello and Welcome

I am getting dizzy with all the Argosy postings lately!! It is a blast to hear about all and know we will be able to help each other over many a "bump".

We had no idea when we first got our 6.7 Argosy that it was any different than any other. Learned from being here and talking to others. We too still have original paint job with "6.7 metre" in orange on side. The middle and lower channeling (overlander 64 calls it bronze) is pretty much gone on ours (dried up and falling out) and the PO painted the channel and the ARGOSY letters at top front and back of trailer blue. We hope to clean that up and put in new stripping material but I dont know if they still make the original bronze color or if we will have to take blue. Sounds like if Keith's trailer has had blue added, that might be all that is available??!

Keith
I was seriously wondering. You have corrected/considered a number of major/minor items on your Argosy. Could you be tempted to post a list of all you have accomplished or are considering for the future, so far? It would help me considerably to have something like that to refer to about parts of our trailer we are not familiar with that might need work or might save us expense if we know about it soon enough. Having it all in one place could be a real timesaver. Would that be hard? Please!!

Gotta go for now. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 10:12 AM   #24
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Ssorrry

Kevin

I have the worst time with names!! Sorry!!! Hope this didn't mess up my chance at a list Leigh
Old 11-07-2002, 01:53 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Leigh!

No problem with the name confusion - - happens all of the time - - I was always Calvin to one of my neighbors - - and Mark to my neighborhood gorcer.

I have am really just getting a good start on restoring/refurbishing myMinuet, and am basing much of what is being done on experiences with my '64 Overlander. The list almost seems more extensive than the work.

1. The first, and biggest project thus far has been getting all of the propane appliances operational. This required replacing the water heater, new gas control and thermocouple on the furnace, and a new 120-volt element for the Dometic refrigerator. The original Worthington aluminum propane tanks were out-of-date and needed OPD upgrades so they are awaiting both services at my regular Airstream dealer's shop. The original LP gas regulator and hoses were worn out so the entire unit was replaced with the Airstream recommended regulator with the modern OPD type hoses for easier connections.

2. The next project was to get the electrical side of the equation working. This included a new lock assembly for the battery compartment as well as a new battery and tray. With that taken care of, the Univolt decided to expire so a new replacement Univolt was installed by my Airstream dealer. Verified that the wiring is present for installation of an air conditioner which will take place late Winter/early Spring. Verified that all interior and exterior 120-volt and 12-volt accessories and lights were properly functioning.

3. Purchased a complete set of replacement lenses for the tail lights, running lights, and entry light. I learned this from experience - - when the replacement lenses were avialable in 1995 my Overlander didn't need them - - when I needed them last year, they were no longer available. My dealer was able to get replacement lenses for every one of the exterior lights on my Minuet.

4. The water supply system has been checked out on both the demand and city connection sides to verify that all components are functioning correctly, and necessary repairs have been made - - only three leaks were found due to freeze damage at some time in the past.

5. A rebuild kit was installed in the black water tank dump valve to insure its continued proper operation.

6. A Reese friction sway control was installed on the trailer for those times when it is towed behind my Cadillac.

7. The brakes, bearings and drums are in the process of being inspected/repaired for the second time (started experiencing problems after 1,000 miles of towing and less than 75 days from the first process). New Good Year Marathon ST trailer tires were installed - - Load Range C in the factory recommended size for the Minuet. The wheel-tire assembly was balanced, but I haven't been able to locate anyone who balances the wheel/tire/drum assembly near either my homebase in the Illinois Quad Cities or my family home in Southern Illinois. New shock absorbers were also installed at this time.

8. The trailer's umbilical cord had to be replaced as it was too short to reach the trailer connector on my Cadillac and the trailer connector also needed replacement - - the new cable has a molded-in connector. The break-away switch was replace as well since it was not functioning properly and was very rusty.

The next process that is on the agend for this Winter is an Interior treatment by Fowler Interiors that will include the following:

1. New premium foam and upholstery on both gauchos with matching pillow shams for each gaucho, new drapes and mini-blinds for the windows, and new Congoleum Industrial Grade sheet vinyl floor coverings.

2. The front interior dome is scheduled for a decorative painting technique that will duplicate the original wall finish. Arlene Fowler is quite an artist, and when she finishes it is nearly impossible to tell where the refinishing of these panels take place.

3. The cabinetry will be cleaned, refinished and repaired as necessary. The current plan is to repair the tambour cabinet doors if possible, but replacement may become necessary as two of the doors have sections that have warped for lack of a better explanation. The countertop is in mint condition as are both the kitchen sinks and the bathroom vanity as well as the shower so they will simply be cleaned, and polished.

4. A new double-finished drape will be installed between the bathroom and coach interior to replace the original door which is missing.

5. I am considering having the Fowler's duplicate the credenza table in solid oak as it would be a very attractive alternative to the particle board covered with formica - - there isn't a terrible difference in weight - - they replaced my dining table top in the Overlander with solid oak, and the weight was actually only about 22 ounces more than the original Fomica over particle board top (the legs and trim were restored as well on the original drop-leaf mechanism).

Prior to leaving for International next Spring, I plan to have the following tasks completed:

1. Installation of new Air Conditioner, amplified television antenna and satellite receiver wiring package, and new manual tongue jack.

2. Reinstall original gray water tank. I am trying to avoid having to carry a large blue tote tank as gray water handling capacity is required for the International Rally in Vermont as well as the Statue of Liberty Rally in New Jersey.

3. Install spare tire mount somewhere on trailer - - there simply is not room in the trunk of the Cadillac to carry both a full-sized spare for the car as well as the trailer. I am leaning toward the behind the propane tanks mounting - - it may not be the factory solution for this model, but it was for Airstreams during the '60s and it has the advantage of keeping the tire accessible. Would like to mount the tire on a rear-bumper carrier, but am afraid that it would cause an undesirable situation with trailer balance not to mention violating the caveat about never attaching any accessories to the rear bumper.

4. Install modified rock guard. I may have to do a little coaxing to convince the service manager at the dealership where my repairs are handled to get this job done.

5. Permanently install a CB radio with whip antenna (will probably mount antenna on rear bumper). The plan is for the CB to be installed in the bathroom wardrobe as it would be convenient for the necessary electrical wiring as well as for the antenna. A CB is a near necessity if you paln on attending larger rallys where most communication is via the CB.

My final project just prior to departing for the International Rally in Vermont will be to compound and wax the exterior of the trailer. If time permits, I will be repainting the rear bumper and hitch assemblies.

My intent is to get at least two years use out of the trailer before I begin the exterior restoration which will include:

1. Repairing two small dents above the rear bumper and straightening the bumper.

2. Repairing a softball sized dent in the front wrap and a small dent just above the curbside of the "A" frame hitch.

3. Install new Zip Dee awning on curbside.

4. Installation of AM-FM-CD stereo system with exterior antenna.

5. Repaint trailer in its original factory color scheme.

6. Restore and re-install both Argosy nameplates.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 11-08-2002, 09:58 AM   #26
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
What took you so long!!

Hey, just kidding Kevin. I would call you a peach if you were from Georgia.

Your list will be a great reference for us. I know outside paint is mentioned in a thread, but can't remember if anything definitive was said as to brand or type. Do you know if AS sells the original paint? or are you going to the factory to do it?

Also interested in the interior paint job to be done on your front dome area. We have a couple of surface cracks (one in front dome area and one back in shower area). Not sure if they can be treated like a crack in house using filler and sanding then painting? Do you know?

I guess we are going to bite the bullet and purchase manuals from Sec. Serv. Never heard anything from our PO as to those. Is one more important than other? I would think serv. manual would give all details as to wiring, plumbing, etc.

Well, got to go check out other threads. See ya there. Leigh
Old 11-08-2002, 12:34 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetigs Leigh!

Your peach comment gave me quite a chuckle. A dear friend in Wisconsin likes to call me Peaches because I always bring a bushel of tree-ripe Southern Illinois Peaches to our Fall reunion - - and also usually make 6 quarts of my home-made French Vanilla Peach Ice Cream with home-made peach compote topping.

Quote:
I know outside paint is mentioned in a thread, but can't remember if anything definitive was said as to brand or type. Do you know if AS sells the original paint? or are you going to the factory to do it?
I belive that the exterior paint codes that have been mentioned are for Ditzler paints- - I suspect, but don't have confirmation that there may have been slight differences in the paint color/formula depending upon year. I am afraid that I haven't been paying close attention as when that was a topic of discussion on the VAC list, I was only casually considering purchasing an Argosy. I talked to the owner of the body shop where I plan to have the paint job completed, and he basically said that with any of the major manufacturer's paint codes he could match the paint with the products that he normally uses. I am sure that the codes are available in Tom Patterson Archives.

I can't believe that I happened to have a copy of a message from Charlie Burke with the following information:

The original colors were provided by Lilly Industrial Coatings. In 1988 Airstream published a list of Dupont Centari substitute numbers. Based on that list the Argosy colors through 1977 were:

Upper--Light Beige 44534-A
Lower--Metallic Brown 44721-AM

Charlie

Quote:
Also interested in the interior paint job to be done on your front dome area. We have a couple of surface cracks (one in front dome area and one back in shower area). Not sure if they can be treated like a crack in house using filler and sanding then painting? Do you know?
I haven't checked to see if Argosy follows the Airstream lead with either fiberglass or plastic interior domes, but I believe the repair process would be similar. A small hole is drilled at each end of the crack (is supposed to keep the crack from reappearing and spreading), and then is filled with an "automotive" type filler appropriate to the material in the dome. Mine doesn't appear to have any cracks, but it has turned a disgusting shade of nicotine yellow while the rest of the coach's interior is pristine off-white. When I spoke to Arlene Fowler, she reassured me that this was typical and would pose no problems - - in fact when I visited her facility she was working on a '78 Airstream with the same problem and the result of the restoration was fabulous.

Quote:
I guess we are going to bite the bullet and purchase manuals from Sec. Serv. Never heard anything from our PO as to those. Is one more important than other? I would think serv. manual would give all details as to wiring, plumbing, etc.
I haven't splurged on a service manual yet, as I generally have most of my maintenance performed by my Airstream dealer. I have been considering one just to have it available if I am out on the road and need to have a Brand X dealer perform emergency repairs. The owner's manual, at least on my '78 is general to the entire Argosy line with very minimal information specific to the Minuet - - the envelope of specialized manuals for the appliances is exceptionally useful - - I believe that mine included manuals for the Dometic Refrigerator, the furnace, and possibly the water heater (I haven't looked recently so am not entirely certain). The information in the owner's manual is more day-to-day operational information rather than maintenance and repair. It is even more vague about some things like where the water pump and Univolt are located than the first Airstream Owner's manual that came with my '64 Overlander. When ordering a manual (whether Owner's or Service) from Secretarial Services, I would suggest being certain that they know that you need one for an Argosy Minuet 22' - - my '78 manual only has information for the regular Argosy line and the 6.0 Metre (20') Minuet.

Good luck in your quest for information!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 12-07-2002, 02:59 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

photos of 24' Minuet

I've posted four photos of the possibly rare Argosy Minuet discussed above. Not that you had any doubts, Kevin et al, but I think these photos should be proof that Airstream made at least one of these tandam axle Minuets.

If any of you by the way want a photo of a specific part of this wonderful old beast, just let me know, and I'll fire up the coolpix for you.

The furnace will run, but only once at a time, so to speak. I have to relight the pilot every time it gets cold, which at this time of year can be fairly often!

Question: should the zippity dodah awning (no offence) never be allowed to carry snow/ice, or can it tolerate a ton or two??

-Carl
Old 12-07-2002, 04:32 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Carl!

The Zip Dee awning in an open position is not capable of supporting any significant snow load - - in fact, it is recommended to lower one arm significantly to allow rain water to quickly drain from the surface. If you are referring to any danger from snow to the Zip Dee while it is closed and protected by its cover, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. My '64 Overlander has a Zip Dee and it is stored outside without any problems - - a Zip Dee for my Minuet is on my "wish list".

Your furnace problem sounds like it might have something to do with either the thermocouple or sail switch. I am not mechanically inclined, especially when gas appliances are involved but do know that either of these two devices can cause that problem.

I am anxious to get a look at the photos of your rig. The photos site will be my next stop.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 12-07-2002, 04:38 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

RE: Photos of 24' Minuet

Greetings Carl!

You really do have a gem. In all of my travels I have yet to see another rig similar to yours. I am almost wondering if you have the only one - - so far, the only Minuets that I have encountered at any of the last five International Rallys have all been 6.0 Metre. You have something that will really spark some conversations at Vintage gatherings.

There is now ample confirmation that Argosy produced at least some of all three varieties of the Minuet - - 20', 22', and 24'.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 12-08-2002, 06:57 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
2004 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Memphis , Tennessee
additional argosy input

I am really enjoying this thread. I have recently obtained a '73 Argosy 20. The vin is; 20D3V1047. I will not claim it as a minuet, but I believe it to pre-marketing naming of their units.
Kevin, thanks for the info about original colors. I plan to paint mine this winter. I was having to chip away about 3 coats of old paint, which is not too accurate. I am still a little confused about a substitute paint. Are the numbers you listed Dupont paints that I can order? Is there a type paint that is compatable with both alluminum and steel? I assume it is acrylic paint you are talking about.
Thanks to all about this information.

Brian
WBCCI #5167
2004 Land Yacht XL396
2003 25' Classic
2005 GMC Sierra
fdx753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 08:17 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
RE: Argosy Paint Codes in Earlier Post

Greetings Brian!

Yes, the paint codes supplied were for Dupont paints in the Centari line of products. The information that I had was that the codes pertained to all Argosys through 1977. This information was posted to the Vintage Airstream List by Charlie Burke several years ago.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 12-09-2002, 12:47 PM   #33
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Thumbs up Family Album Complete?

Seasons Greetings Everybody

Carl The addition of your trailer's pictures is just a great addition to our wonderful and growing list of all makes and models of the Argosy line. I, for one am getting psyched to see what will become of each of these wonderful trailers as we go about our upgrades and restoration. Can we also see inside pictures? I want to see the layout as compared to our 22'. PS - "Aarrgg" - I like it!!!!
So nice to have the input from so many owners with many talents to share. The Argosy area sure has grown since we got ours in September, wow!!!!

Brian I also welcome you to the Forum. I, too enjoy reading/communicating with everybody to gather brainfood related to fix up without screwup! I was really hungry for info on the Argosy line when we got ours and the history and background I was able to find here really helped in feeling comfortable trying to do "right" by our "Mini". The layout of this website is just amazing.

Kevin or anyone who knows - I think I have read in other threads that the Zip Dee awning is the best. Is it the easiest to manipulate, best materials, stronger? We have a chance at purchasing the hardware for an awning, with the fabric to come later. I have not heard from the owner what brand his is yet, but would like to have an idea about which is best before we close the deal.
Have you gotten your trailer back from the upgrades inside yet?

Later... Leigh
Old 12-09-2002, 03:03 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

RE: Awnings

Greetings Leigh!

Quote:
I think I have read in other threads that the Zip Dee awning is the best. Is it the easiest to manipulate, best materials, stronger? We have a chance at purchasing the hardware for an awning, with the fabric to come later. I have not heard from the owner what brand his is yet, but would like to have an idea about which is best before we close the deal.
There are actually two related issues at work here. The Zip Dee is the only awning out there that fully supports Airstream applications today. There were a number of different suppliers that manufactured awnings with the curved side arms necessary for Airstreams through the 1970s and into the 1980s. Most of these other manufacturers now service only the roller tube and not the curved side arms - - two examples would include A & E (Now part of Dometic), and Carefree of Colorado.

While I don't have an awning on my Minuet yet, I do have one on my Overlander. The Overlander originally was equipped with an A & E awning in 1964 that was replaced along the line with a newer A & E Travel Awn 5,000 - - the roller tube was worn out by the time my restoration started and the side arms were in less than ideal condition - - one had been damaged and repaired resulting in rather difficult operation, and the other had some "racking" damage caused by wind. Given the lack of support from A & E for the awning arms, I chose to abandon the A & E and go with Zip Dee. I am thrilled with my Zip Dee awnings (I added awnings to the bathroom window and the streetside bedroom windows), the hardware is more pleasing to the eye, and operation is much easier than the older model - - it also seems that the awning fabric itself is going to be easier to care for than the laminated vinyl that was on my A & E awning.

If the hardware that you are looking at is of the proper curvature for your Minuet and is complete, there isn't really any particular deficiency in the older awnings produced by A & E or Carefree - - just be prepared that replacements for the curved side arms aren't readily available as they would be for Zip Dee.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 12-10-2002, 11:59 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Thanks Kevin for your comments and answers on my Minuet and for the information more generally on awnings. A 'wealth of information' you are, and moreover generous & cheerful sharing it! You mention "Vintage" gatherings, what do have in mind?? (sounds fun!)

Leigh: first, how to make our names go different colors in the font? That works nicely! Second, I'd be glad to take some inside photos of the Minuet7.3 but am not sure how soon I can do it. For one thing, as soon as the temp. gets above freezing I've got to clean off my awning and get it rolled up, before one of those precious curve/angled struts gets damaged by snow, sleet, rain, ice --all of which !! are predicted for tomorrow night here north of Boston. Got to take good care of <Arrggh> before I spend time with the camera.

Anyone: is there a trailor tradition or etiquet or whatever concerning giving a name to a trailor or motor home etc. Do some folks paint the name on the bow or stern, so to speak, as boat owners often do? I'm in no hurry to alter what is looking more and more like an old Argosy whose owners have left in pretty much original condition!

Also anyone/everyone: if I were to name her [him? boats are usually feminine I believe] "Arrggh!", how should it be spelt? My ten year old boy has been reading Garfield books recently, and I asked for a little research on this, but even within a single collection of Garfield comic strips "arggh" is spelled in various ways. Is there some mechanism for taking a pole in the complications of this web site's functions? I think in one case Garfield says "arrrrrrrgggghh" or something like that which may be expressive and, in context, the correct spelling but doesn't strike me right off as a good way to spell it if it's to be used as a name; d'accord?

-Carl

P.S. I'm bad at spelling English words generally [did I spell 'tandam/tandem' wrong in a previous post?]; I try to take sollace for this embarrasing weakness by telling myself that my relation to my beloved Mother Tongue is purely auditory (which indeed it is) and that in English you are dead if you try to spell words the way you pronounce them (which is true) and that before Sam Johnson came along in 1750 or whenever and decided to write the first English dictionary and treat words as if they could actually have both "right" and "wrong" spellings (which he did, and which, before he did, they didn't, see Shakespeare's texts for instance in their original published versions where even the same word may be spelled in more than one way within a single play or set of poems). I'm trying to learn to live with my spelling disability [should that have two ss'es? or two ll's?] by not worrying whether I spell words wrong, since this worry tends to slow me down and cramp me up so much that I don't get to expressing what's in my heart & mind to express, and that's no good, right? :-)
Old 12-10-2002, 12:26 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome to the forums minuet24!
Quote:
...is there a trailor tradition or etiquet or whatever concerning giving a name to a trailor or motor home etc.
As far as naming trailers...anything goes! Here's a fun thread
Trailer Names that discusses some of the names selected by forum members.

Enjoy!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 12:52 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Thankyou Shari for your welcome and for the URL on trailor names! Wow, a five rivet member; super! What is this Karma thing? Karma is a bad thing? or a good thing? Whichever it is, you seem to have a whole lot of it, and either way, I'll try to remain on your good side.

:-) -Carl
Old 12-10-2002, 01:37 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Carl ~

Here's a couple of threads where the "Karma Thing" is explained.

Karma...

Great ways to earn extra Karma...

Karma??

As far as having a lot of rivets, what can I say...I guess I'm pretty chatty...oh well!

Shari

P.S. It looks like you got the color change feature figured out...atta-boy!
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 07:22 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

RE: Vintage Airstream Activities

Greetings Carl!

Quote:
You mention "Vintage" gatherings, what do have in mind?? (sounds fun!)
The Vintage gatherings that I referr to are those sponsored either by the Vintage Airstream Club or units of the WBCCI. You can count on at least one Vintage activity each year through the VAC, and that is the Wagon Wheels preceding International - - traditionally it is a 10-12 day caravan ending with the VAC parade into the International Rally - - last year, there was a break with the tradition and we had a Wagon Wheel pre-Rally in the Black Hills of SD. There are any number of regional and local gatherings that involve Vintage activities - - some examples have been Wisconsin State Rallys and the Region 4 Rally - - others have included annual Rallys in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado and in California as well - - and of course, there is the Annual Cherry Blossom Rally that is held in the vicinity of Washington, DC. All of these activities are publicized in either the Blue Beret (monthly publication of the WBCCI), Vintage Advantage (quarterly publication of the Vintage Airstream Club), or on either of the two following websites:

Wally Byam Caravan Club International

or

Vintage Airstream Club (Intra-Club of Wally Byam Caravan Club International)

There are also a number of activities for the broader range of Vintage RVs offered through the Tin Can Tourists . This organization is devoted to collecting, preserving, and using vintage RVs of all manufacturers - - I believe they consider Travel Trailers over 25 years of age and Motorhomes over 20 years of age Vintage, but since I am not a member I cannot be absolutely certain. Their web address is:

Tin Can Tourists

There has also been quite a bit of talk here on the forum about AirstreamForums Rallys as well.

I have enjoyed every Rally and Carvan in which I have participated. Each has had its own unique qualities, and there is always something new to learn or do.

P.S. - - I hope all went well getting your awning retracted before the bad weather set in.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 12-11-2002, 10:24 AM   #40
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Wink Fun to Share

Howdy Everybody

OK Brian, I will attempt to give you reliable info on how to add color to your wording within threads. I am not one of the best on manipulating all the available resources within this wonderful site (Shari, I know you to be a Sweetie and Wizardess on computer functions, so if I mess up, please help!!!) Anyway, here goes...

When you post a reply there is an area above the typing box where you will see several buttons. One is labled "color". The pull down arrow will give you choices of color. After choosing color a box called "Explorer User Prompt will appear in upper left corner. Type whatever words you wish in specified color, press OK..
If you wish to change colors, repeat process by going to "color" button and starting with new color..
I am still learning to play with all the available goodies.

As far as pics go, take your time. It took me several months to get brave and knowledgeable enough to post them!!

I don't think there is any etiquette on names for trailers. Ours is Mini Driv'r". We are thinking of a vanity license plate for her (which is available here in Colorado). I like the way you spelled "Arrggh" on you picture. Not too long, sounds good!! (We have an 11 yr old who also likes Garfield, and Calvin and Hobbs).

Kevin Thanks for the awning info. We have not heard back yet from seller about manufacturer on his awning we are thinking about. May run into shipping problem also. Sounds like the Zip Dee might be the best to keep camping problems to a minimum.

I so enjoy the company here.... Leigh