Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2002, 09:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to GOTPIKE
Thumbs up A new Argosy owner

In August I found a 1977 Argosy Minuet 20'. The outside was dirty and stained from sitting under trees and really
looked bad. The inside was in great shape except for the dirt and the curains were all sun damaged. Every thing in it works great also. The fabric had no signs of wear. After a fresh paint job, Deep cleaning the interior and making my own curtains and blinds a brake job, wheel bearings packed, I only have around $2.500 into the package. Can anyone tell me what something like this is worth on the market? I can't find any of this model in the want ads. I have no intention of selling it and have used it almost every weekend since labor day. Also I am new to these trailers and is there anything else I need to watch for as far as maintaining the unit? I'm attemtping to attach a photo but you know how that goes...
GOTPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 10:20 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Hi Gotpike,

How is your axe? Andy at RV can tell you, it is around $900 to replace. Any frame rust around the shower area. Frame rust is bad. Up front? In the middle?

I think you are in the ballpark. If you need some help the fine people on this forum will certainly be available. I have the same trailer, let me know if you want more information.

JimW
barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 08:58 AM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Welcome!!

Hi Gotpike - Thanks for joining in. Barbwire is right, there are many helpful folks here!! Starting with the Argosy forum should help to get you situated - I would read all threads related, if you haven't already. Then there are always specific forums relating to inside, outside and all around the world of AS trailers that helpful people have posted . It is really easy to get around the Airstream Forum and fun!!!

We just got our Argosy in Sept. and it seems that most of the other Argosy owners have joined here real recently also, so we are all learning and enjoying this new adventure together.

Don't be shy about asking questions. I feel like I have asked everything in the book, but I learn something new every time I log on. Oh, and pictures are a must, we love to see what someone else has accomplished. Later... Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 03:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
A new Argosy owner

Greetings GotPike!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Airstream/Argosy ownership. You have quite a bit of company with Minuet owners here on the forum. It seems that there must have been quite a bit of activity buying/selling/trading Minuets in August and September as I acquired my '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre in August from its original owner who special ordered it from his Argosy dealer in very early 1978 - - it was delivered to him in May of 1978.

You will also find that there are at least two owners of Argosy Minuets in the 22' variety and at least one who owns a 24' Argosy Minuet. One of the biggest differences between the Minuets and the rest of the Argosy line is the floor width - - the Minuets have 7.0 foot floor width while the rest of the Argosy Coaches have 7'8" floor width.

With what you have invested in your Minuet, you should be within the current value range. I had observed the market for Minuets for almost two years before buying the one that I now have. The typical asking price was from $1,000 to $4,500 depending upon condition, options, and geographic location - - I don't know whether any of these were other than 6.0 Metre coaches as I wasn't aware of the other sizes at the time.

You were indeed fortunate to find interior fabrics in good condition. My '78 has all original features, but the upholstery while clean shows signs of degredation from sun exposure and age - - the original drapes are in tatters - - the carpet has faded to a tri-tone yellow, gold, and orange. It is scheduled for an interior refurbishment with Fowler Interiors yet this winter so that it will be ready for travel to the International Rally in Vermont next summer. I am hoping to polish out my paint to extend its life for a few more seasons.

This is a photo of the '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre that I acquired in August.

Good luck with your Minuet, and don't hesitate to ask questions - - someone on the forum will likely have the answer or be able to point you in the direction of a solution.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 05:33 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
A new Argosy owner

RE: Refrigerator Operation on 120 Volt AC

Greetings Gary!

I had the same problem with the refrigerator in my '78. As it turned out, the electric heating element had failed. When the element failed, electrical contacts fused together so that any time it was switched to electric operation the circuit breaker would trip. It was a problem that was easily solved with a new heating element installed by my nearby Airstream dealer - - I am a klutz with electrical and plumbing repairs so usually trust those operations to my Vintage Friendly Dealer.

The only other problem that I have experienced with any regularity is with the water heater. Spiders seem to love building nests in the air supply tube - - when this happens, the water heater smokes terribly and produces soot around the exterior vent opening. Cleaning out the spider nest usually arrests the problem - - I carry a long-handled, slender bottle brush in my emergency tool kit just for these happenings.

Good to hear that you are enjoying your Minuet. Mine has been spending more time with repair people than at home, but it will be making the trip to the International Rally in Vermont this coming June.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 11-19-2002, 05:36 PM   #6
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Thumbs up Lookin Good

We hope its not the last we have heard of you! Before long you will probibly have info to pass on to all of us... Several of us are on the trail for rock guards (look like big wrap sunglasses) for the front windows of trailer. A different thread had talk on those.

Your Argosy looks very nice! You said you repainted? Any particular brand, type of paint? Ours is in pretty good shape, although we have noticed the front/rear domes are a somewhat off shade of beige from the rest. Don't know if it has to do with poor polishing job by PO or if the steel domes just change with age. No big deal yet, but we want to keep getting info on types of paint for future. I like your blinds also. Were they hard to install. Special order? I haven't decided if I want them (don't really like to clean mini-blinds), but if they work well, I might go for it.

Well, enjoy your time cruising the threads. You will get hooked. I really hope to meet some of these helpful people some day on a trip to show off our little "Mini". Bye for now. Leigh
Old 11-19-2002, 07:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Hi Gotpike, great looking trailer, we all think you did good.

I would encourage you in to finding what is causing your Ground Fault plug in to trip. I think it is pretty important now days, and the units are much more reliable than they used to be. Safety comes first.

Have fun, and thanks for the pictures.

JimW

P.S. If you would be so kind, measure from the center of your axel to the lip of the fender well, vertically. If Overlander64 would do the same it would be great. I wanted to get an idea of how far the trailers are resting. Most everyone should be unloaded this time of year. I will get a measuremetn on mine tomorrow. COArgosy too, but they have a bit different trailer.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:35 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Hi Jim
I got an even 12" from the center of the axle to the lip of the fender well.
Hope that helps
Gary
Old 11-20-2002, 05:31 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Gary, mine is 11.5 on the street side, and 11 on the curb side. This gives me some idea of where my axle is at. It is hard to actually get in there and measure anything behind the wheel. It makes sense if you consider the heavy frig and stove are on the curb side.

So far today I have removed the stove, counter, and cabinets to repair broken rivets, and get at the silicone that a PO had plugged the venting with; that venting runs around the inside of the shower and contains the sink drain and water supply lines. The little furnace pulls air through that venting over the grey and black water tanks to keep them from freezing, and also warms the water lines to the sink. At least this was how I understood it. The only way I found out that it was plugged was by holding my camera way back to the wall just above the funace and shooting a couple of upward pictures. I want to be doing some cold weather camping here in Montana.

If any of you could get some some photos of the backrest behind the toilet it would be of use to me. Mine is missing and I need to build one to keep proper airflow that was designed into the trailer to prevent freezing.

This really is a lot of fun. Seems like my trailer is the most beat up though. Thanks for the help everyone.

JimW
Old 11-20-2002, 07:02 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Hi Jim
I took a couple of photos of the back of the toilet. Does this look right or is something missing on mine too?
The only Back rest I can see is also a compartment.
I hope this helps
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	head1.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	886  
Old 11-20-2002, 07:34 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Hi Gary, I wish now I did know what looks right. I will post a picture in the morning of what I have. I am going to go over everyones pictures again, and make sure I know what I am talking about. Mine looks very different than yours, but Argosy's are notorius for being different.

I see screw holes that tell me something is missing in mine.

Thanks for the pics, I will send mine tomorrow.

JimW
Old 11-20-2002, 07:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
A new Argosy owner

RE: Configuration of Bathroom Trim

Greetings Jim W!

I don't know whether this photo is close enough, but I do know that my installation is supposed to be factory original via data supplied by the original owner of 25-years. It appears that other than different model toilets, Gary's Minuet has virtually the same rear panel detail as mine.

I will try to get a more detailed photo Friday or Saturday as well as the axle/wheelwell measurement.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bathroom fixtures.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	887  
AIR #827
Old 11-21-2002, 09:02 AM   #13
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Good Morning!!

Sorry I haven't been chatty, had some pre-holiday items to take care of.

I can't take pictures or measurements of Mini right now as she is too far away. We may pick her up and take her with us at Christmas for visit to sister-in-law. If so, I will be taking camera for photos then. Don't think that helps you much with things right now though.

You guys are so busy working on your trailers, makes me itchy to do some more with Mini!! I hope you are taking good notes on every little item you do because I will need a how to manual "for sure" . We are still waiting on our owner manual from Helen Davis.

Did any of you read my calendar idea thread? What do you think? Would that be a big hassle? I have no idea how hard it would be to make something like that, but thought it would be great to have on hand in trailer (or home), giving important dates for those going to rallies or such, plus having pictures of many of our trailers?!

Our toilet has a little pull out compartment behind it the best that I remember. Kevins picture looks much like what I think ours looks like. Later.... Leigh
Old 11-23-2002, 10:28 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Hi All,

Thanks for all the help. Here is a picture of my missing toilet back. Leigh says there is a pullout compartment. I see two holes in the plastic for screws or rivets. Was there a hinge here? How was the door removed to get at the compartment.

Hi Leigh,
Your calendar idea sounds fun. I would bet there is software out there to easily design you own calendar. When I get a chance I will look around.

Thanks everyone.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	toilet-back.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	909  
Old 11-23-2002, 10:52 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

You are missing the door and catch that is attached with a piano hinge
Funny thing is, I see only two hole drilled for yours and mine has 4 holes.
I hope this helps...
Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	toiletback.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	910  
Old 11-23-2002, 11:26 AM   #16
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Jim - There have been some additions to my calendar thread with instruction on how to make - just like you said. I have tried briefly to go thru the instructions on "how to" but was unsuccessful at one point - will try again later today. It looks like fun and the instructions look easy enough, you guys might want to take a look if you are interested. There are some caviats regarding the use of other's pics. If I decides to use any of your pics of your Argosys is that ok!??

Gary's pic of the toilet area is what I remember ours to be like.

Gary - I love the little guy running around in your Argosy under your name!! I saw another pic where someone has added a Santa hat to their motorhome. Such creative people in this group. Is that some kind of special software that creates those moving pics? If I wanted to use say the moterhome with the Santa hat, would that be possible on the calendar? I can tell those images have been pasted or attached to the original picture, but can they be transferred onto a printout, or are they just an image produced on the computer screen?

Later... Leigh
Old 11-23-2002, 11:42 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Hi Leigh
Yes I have a software program that I use to create animated gif files.
The images have to be created in photoshop then brought into the software.
If you want to use the santa hat one all you have to do is download it by clicking on it and hold until a box comes up that allows you to download it then you can put it wherever...
Gary
Old 11-23-2002, 11:53 AM   #18
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Gary - Thanks for the speedy reply!! I am going to try to create the calendar again, it didn't work last night. I think something is wrong with my paint program setup in the computer, it stalls out after I call it up and try to access. If you have any ideas can you post them to the "Calendar Idea" thread? Thanks for the post and any help if you have it. Leigh
Old 11-23-2002, 04:52 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
A new Argosy owner

RE: Measurement Axle Center to Lip of Fenderwell

Greetings Jim W!

I was finally able to get out and measure the distance from the axle center to the lip of the fenderwell - - on my Minuet it is 11 7/8" on each side - - currently the rig is empty as it is being readied for a trip to Fowler Interiors for some restoration.

RE: Detail of Bathroom Rear Wall/Toilet Backrest

Greetings All!

You learn something everyday on the forum. I hadn't discovered that the trim behind the toilet concealed a storage compartment - - I had just looked upon it as trim- - I will have to go out and see whether mine is operable or sealed shut. We all seem to have very similar configuration of the area around the toilet.

RE: Calendar Idea

Greeting Leigh!

I have been following your posts. One of the easiest calendar making programs that I have found is Print Artist - - it will allow you to import just about any form of graphic and add it to a calendar page - - Snapshot Express is a photo editing software that is included with the deluxe version of Print Artist that is a relatively easy to use photo editor. I too have had problems with MicroSoft's Paint program when it comes to editing photos - - it consumes a great deal of RAM memory, and in some versions it helps to completely shut down your computer and then restart before beginning a photo editing project. Good luck with your calendar!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 11-23-2002, 07:56 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Gary, that really helped. I will build one out of the scrap aluminum that I have collected. Did it have an external button, or was it like a kitchen cabinet roller catch? The outside looks like the same interior as the other parts of the coach. I will not be able to duplicate that.

Thanks Kevin, I don't know what to make of this data yet. I need to roll my trailer to a flat spot and measure again. We were hit by another winter storm so I'm done outside for a while. I would like to correlate this measurement with the angle of the torque arm on the axel. I was also wondering if Leigh's cool 22 foot minuet has a 3000 lbs axel like our 20 footers? BTW your toilet is the one pictured in the '77 owners manual. I think mine might not be original.

Leigh, which thread are your calender posts in? I can't find them.

Here is my last question for the day, and probably only the 6 metre owners will have any idea. In the overhead compartments, above the sink, there are two grommeted holes that have electrical wiring coming out of them. One is about centered on the divider, and the other is to the right and supplies wiring for the stove exhaust fan and sink lighting. The centered hole has about five zip cord wires coming out of it. I can not detect voltage on any of the wires. I also can not locate where they might end. My guess is that they might have been part of a sound system. This is probably the last mystery of my little Argosy. Great praise is due the person who solves this!

Thanks everyone,

Jim