Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Chester , New Hampshire
'77 Argosy 28, unusual VIN with 'A' as first letter?

Hi, I'm new to the forums as I have recently acquired a 1977 Argosy 28!
I'm trying to find out more about this intriguing trailer, but having trouble with one part of the VIN. I've located it in two places (stamped on an aluminum plate riveted to the trailer body, and also stamped on the A-frame). It reads 28A7V1428. I'm smart enough to figure out everything but the "A" in the third position. All decoders mention only a "D" or "T" as possibilities depending on the bed configuration. I can tell you that this is the center-bath, twin beds (x2) at the rear model. The layouts that I've encountered also show another oddity, and that is that the bathroom and closets are on different sides of the trailer than as advertised...

My Argosy appears as in the attached 1976(?) Argosy 28 options page (at lower left, in red) except the closets are curbside, bathroom opposite.

Any ideas?

P.S. I also need a line on two replacement windows, both my curbside wraparounds (front and rear) are totalled. I can't handle the 'smoke' colored stuff, and the classifieds are getting me nowhere. Inland RV?

Many thanks,
Meagan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy 28 026.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	177984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy 28 021.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	177985  

Name:	Argosy 28 024.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	177986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy 28 036.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	177987  

Name:	Argosy 28 039.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	177990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy 28 041.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	177991  

Name:	Argosy 28 034.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	177992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy 28 028.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	177993  

Name:	Argosy 28 027.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	177994   Click image for larger version

Name:	argosy 28 1976 plans.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	177998  

TinyFixation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I don't believe you will have much luck finding clear wrap around windows.
I would consider moving one of the clear glass windows to the opposite end of the trailer. Say the front. Then put two dark windows in the berthing area. Just a thought.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Layout...

Hi Meagan,

Welcome to Airforums and good luck in your search for clear windows.

As for the differences, there were many changes in the Argosy/Airstream coach's. Some were custom adds, while others were production run changes.

And, when brochures were printed, not all options could be shown.

I, like you, have the reverse to the brochure with the RM76 refrigerator (larger - 8 cu. ft.), well at least it did have when produced. A Previous Owner (PO) changed it out to a smaller unit.

Good Luck in your rebuild.

Chris
newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
My bathroom configuration is the same as your's. But mine has the dining table on the door side. It also has an A in the vin number.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
No original clear wrap around windows are available except from a salvage unit. Some have made them from Lexan or similar plastics, but even that is a daunting task due to the double compound curves involved.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
The "A" is for center bath.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Welcome to the wonderful world of Argosys

You have got a project but ours was just as bad.. check out what it can look like thread is Costalotta start to finish...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Chester , New Hampshire
Thanks, everybody! I guess that answers the vin question.
And good news/bad news... Found the windows in what I can only assume is record time from what I had been reading. I ordered them the second I found them. They're safe and sound in my garage awaiting installation. Bad news is that they "costalotta" . Totally more than I had budgeted, but a girl wants what she wants. I knew when I got the trailer that I was in for plenty of surprises and deep gouges in my bank account from time to time.
Heading to VTA in May, hoping to make the window install a DIY. I'll never forgive myself if I bust one of those...

Been lurking around lots of full monte projects, including "costalotta". I'm impressed!

Meagan
1977 Argosy 28
WBCCI#1528
AIR#73368
Old 03-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
make sure to protect the windows!

Do a search on "rock guards" here on the forum. I'm going to fabricate some of my own, but it seems like a good investment for those rare windows.
BentMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Chester , New Hampshire
rock guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentMetal View Post
Do a search on "rock guards" here on the forum. I'm going to fabricate some of my own, but it seems like a good investment for those rare windows.
Thanks for the heads-up BentMetal! I've done a few searches and have decided that ultimately I'll be adding the three-piece guards front and back ('cause I don't trust a snot-nosed kid holding a stone).
She won't be roadworthy for a while, so I figure I've got time before I have to throw money into those.
I'll probably make some canvas covered high-density foam guards in the interim, just to say I did everything I could to protect those beauties .

Meagan
1977 Argosy 28
WBCCI#1528
AIR#73368
Old 03-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
I thought about rock guards for the back windows also. But am unsure how either the factory or canvas ones would hold up going down the highway.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
So, I'm curious (in a morbid sort of way) about how much replacement clear pano windows actually cost. Care to share?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Over a Thousand $$$$$. And you can no longer get a clear window, unless it is used.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Over a Thousand $$$$$. And you can no longer get a clear window, unless it is used.
The OP apparently found a couple of used ones, that's why I was asking. If used ones are $1k/each the rotting hulk with 4 good panos I looked at in KY might have been worth $4k...

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 05-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The OP apparently found a couple of used ones, that's why I was asking. If used ones are $1k/each the rotting hulk with 4 good panos I looked at in KY might have been worth $4k...
Thats been my thought, to buy a junker and salvage what I can. I had a line on one and got beaten to it. Then they decided to sell it and I was all ready to go get it and they dropped off the face of the planet.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Chester , New Hampshire
not too proud to talk money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
So, I'm curious (in a morbid sort of way) about how much replacement clear pano windows actually cost. Care to share?
Hi DKB! I spent $600 apiece for my vintage clear replacements, plus shipping to New England (Inland had them). All in all, about $1500. I was happy to pay for the pricey shipping to ensure that they arrived unscathed. They were well packaged in a custom plywood box (they're still in there). I was impressed.

In other expensive news, I just busted my KT latch last night. Dammit! There goes another $500.

Meagan
1977 Argosy 28
WBCCI#1528
AIR#73368
Old 06-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyFixation View Post
Hi DKB! I spent $600 apiece for my vintage clear replacements, plus shipping to New England (Inland had them). All in all, about $1500. I was happy to pay for the pricey shipping to ensure that they arrived unscathed. They were well packaged in a custom plywood box (they're still in there). I was impressed.

In other expensive news, I just busted my KT latch last night. Dammit! There goes another $500.
That makes me feel kinda-good. I went another route... I found a salvage Argosy donor trailer to get the pano I need for il Progetto. I'm paying a competent technician to remove the window, so that will add to the cost I'm sure, but I got the whole trailer for $800 and I'm going to use some other parts off of it for my trailer, and sell what I don't need that's of use to others. (Its KT is a bit of a mess I'm afraid, or I'd offer you a used one. )

Unfortunately it only had one good pano (the other was plexiglass) but it was the one I needed so I bought the thing. If I had 2 panos I might have ended up getting all my parts for free , net. Still, I can't complain, though I did complain about the chigger bites I got rescuing the donor trailer...

Old 06-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Tiny,
What happened with the KT lock? You may be able to repair it. I have been successful in repairing this lock. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Chester , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Tiny,
What happened with the KT lock? You may be able to repair it. I have been successful in repairing this lock. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Twinkie, thanks! I've been babying the hell out of that latch, and last week I gently closed the door holding the latch handle open, only releasing it once the door was shut. I always give the handle a little pull to make sure the door is fully latched and the handle just swung right out with no resistance and no movement of the latch. I think it might be repairable as it seems to have only lost its spring action. Once I can get a boost through the busted window I'll see of it opens from the inside, or if I have to peel the inner skins off the door just to get the door to open (I know I'll have to de-skin to ultimately repair or replace the hardware). I'll replace the whole lockset eventually since my trailer didn't come with keys, and I'd hate to get locked out once I've got those new panos in...

DKB, great idea to buy the donor trailer. I keep my eyes peeled for them all of the time just in case I could score another for under $1K, if for nothing other than spare windows! My Argosy is a real junker (probably a better donor trailer than a primary) from the get-go, but it was only $500 and I was going to gut whatever I bought anyways. For better or worse, I'll be doing the window replacement myself. Doesn't look like too tough of a job, just unnerving. I would rather hire someone else to clean out the situation in the belly pan... (insert dry-heaving smiley here).

Meagan
1977 Argosy 28
WBCCI#1528
AIR#73368