Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
Put a bird on it!

1976 Argosy 20
SANTA BARBARA , California
Wink Monster House (Trailer) Show/reveal party Jan 22!!

The show Monster House on the Discovery Channel has redone a 1950 Nashua trailer and will be taping the "reveal" this Saturday, Jan 22 in Santa Barbara at 2pm. They have invited other trailers to come for the party (when I talked to them yesterday, they didn't have an Airstream coming). It has to be under 23 feet I believe, so if anyone is interested in bringing theirs, contact me and I will get you the info.

There will be a big "trailer-trash" party during the taping of the show. Tickets are available and proceeds go to the Junior League. Should be really fun!
SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1948 16' Wee Wind
Ada , Michigan
Hey

I was one of the builders on that Monster House episode. It airs March 7th.

www.vintagetrailering.com

David W.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Cool Monster House

David, That must have been an amazing experience. I love that show. It looks like you were one of the experts for the build. I can't wait to see the episode... I've never missed one. I can't wait until after the airing and you can tell us how they mischaracterized everyone.

I applied for Monster Garage years ago, and have my Monster House application right here but I still need to finish it and send it in.

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 12:36 AM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Well, I saw the show tonight. At least they did better than the When You Were Out folks.

I just didn't like the trailer trash theme. To me the kitchen looked better before they started with the nice tile back splash.

But at least it's still a usable trailer and definately unique! Don't think we'll see it on ebay anytime soon ;-)

They could teach that other show a thing or two!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:03 AM   #5

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Cool Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Well, I saw the show tonight.
I did too and I think that that they did an excellent job especially compared to the WYWO fiasco. Forget about decorating...at least they built a usable trailer. The tracking satellite was worth more than the other shows entire build budget. And they got a real trailer fridge, new electrical, I even saw new Worthington tanks too.

Dave came off looking good...calm and collected like the resident expert should. Dusty was the fall guy but he appeared to ask for it with his abrasive attitude.

I'm curious about a couple of things though: It appears that they blocked the window at the head of the bed in the master bedroom and behind the dinette benches. Can you still open them? Speaking of windows, I wonder if anything was done to address all the leaks? Also, what about the weight? I was a bit shocked when that load of steel showed up.

All in all it it was a class act. I especially liked the contrast of giving the wealthy Californians a trailer trash camper

Great Job Mr. Winick!

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
Old 04-08-2005, 09:41 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1948 16' Wee Wind
Ada , Michigan
Monster House

Hi Everybody

Wanted to make a couple of comments about the show and trailer.

The original cabinets that were in the trailer were beautiful. I felt pretty crummy about ripping them to pieces. They were well made and had great hardware. It was a heartbreaker, but it was not my trailer.
The trailer was in terrible stuctural condition. Not shown on show was the repair to fore and aft structural members. The trailer was basically coming apart due to wood rot.

Not shown was the new floor we laid + totally rewiring for 12V and 110V. [DVD, LCD monitor[s] stereo, appliances, GPS antenna, lighting and outlets.
Personally I was disappointed with the theme of the build. It's not too difficult to build stuff in that "Rustic" style.
It was a waste of the talents of the team, minus the team member Dusty who's skill level was at rough framer at best. How he got on the show is a mystery, plus his insecure know-it-all attitude alienated the rest of the team plus the entire production crew. It was too bad they didn't show all of the blunders he made. He goofed several other things as a result of his "I don't think, I just do it" mentality. It was pretty funny.
As easy as the build might have been presented, it was a hell of a lot of work in the time alloted.
I made some great friends and that in itself was worth the week in LA.

David W.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Talking You were great!

Dave - I saw the show too. You were great and I could almost read your mind when you were told what the theme would be. I think they carried the "trash" a little to far with the chicken; the leopard print bedspread; and the beer cooler but it sure beat the heck out of some of the other shows --- like the volcano in the backyard, etc. I wish they would have shown more of the wiring, etc., but I know the time restraints and most people like to watch for the "intrigue" between the builders. Dusty was a pain in the a..... well, you know. I don't think he'll get any contractor work soon.

Thanks again for some great entertainment.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
A day late

Sorry I missed it. I found these pictures online though. I wish they were bigger.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mo...r/trailer.html

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 09:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Yeah, Dust. Leave this one off the ole' résume.

Great work, David. Knowing about your site and high level of work beforehand, it was a great relief to see you being introduced on the show, it felt like I knew at least one guy would really know how to pace the rest of the group.
Good work! I wouldn't have chosen the theme either, but for what it was... it turned out terrific.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:30 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1948 16' Wee Wind
Ada , Michigan
Thanks

Hi everyone

Hey, thanks for the kind words. All in all the challenge and experience was terrific.
Just wanted to mention an article on the Airstream website:

http://www.airstream.com/company/news.html

Thanks again
David

Old 05-02-2005, 08:06 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
I was on the Monster Club episide!

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinick
I was one of the builders on that Monster House episode. It airs March 7th.

David W.
AirHeadRik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:23 AM   #12

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Talking Monster Mash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi's Dad
I was on the Monster Club episide!
Rikki, That was a great episode too. It just aired a few weeks ago with your very unique build team.

You've probably played there too?

My favorite ever Monster House team member was the guy from the 3-Stooges house who had Curly tatooed all over his head and face

I gotta get my application in...

Steve
Old 05-03-2005, 02:06 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
sfixx,

Yeah, that one was a riot!
AirHeadRik is offline   Reply With Quote