Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Airstream announces:

Larry Huddle announced today thru RV Business, that Airstream will no longer offer the "Westfalia Sprinter Van" that is made in Germany which Airstream imports and upfits electrical and plumbing to code, and adds a generator for the U.S market. Huddle stated some 240 units have been sold up to this point, with 39 remaining in the pipeline.
Mr. Huddle said Airstream will continure to build on the Sprinter chassis the "Interstate" and "Parkview" models.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
no kiddin!!

I think anyone who has visited an AS dealer could have called this decision. Still selling 2005s at deep discounts was a clue!

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Our local dealer wanted full sticker price. That was the deal killer for us.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
This thread makes me think that Airstream has made some peculiar business decisions in the past. On a recent long trip I lost track of the 5th wheelers I met and wondered why Airstream never built any of those. The Westfalia package probably appeals to someone who owns a sailboat. --Not that this is intended to knock sailboat owners, I used to own one myself...
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrgirdner
This thread makes me think that Airstream has made some peculiar business decisions in the past. On a recent long trip I lost track of the 5th wheelers I met and wondered why Airstream never built any of those. The Westfalia package probably appeals to someone who owns a sailboat. --Not that this is intended to knock sailboat owners, I used to own one myself...
regards
They did a while back. There were a couple of different models but the most prevalent one was called the Integrity by Airstream. Very nice well built high end models, similar in quality to the Travel Supreme and Holiday Rambler Presidential series. They also made one under the Argosy name plate back when they were playing with the Squarestreams. Personally I think Airstream should stick to the basics of the aluminum trailers and work to improve overall product quality. When you try to do too many things something is going to suffer.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:22 PM   #6
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Well it makes sense if you look at the RV market right now. Motorized continues to be off projections (Airstream killed their "A" lines last year and halted development of the new Classic Motorhome) and their Westy Sprinter units are very expensive and a little "akward" from a floorplan perspective when compared to competing units like the Winnie View and some Gulfstream models.

Combine this with a backlog for their "iconic" trailers and it is a good decision. I would not be surprised to see the other Sprinter go as alternatives continue to hit the market.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I just hope this doesn't mean rough times in general at Airstream. I would have liked to see the Classic Motorhome come back even though that was not what I was interested in purchasing for myself at this juncture in my life.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I just hope this doesn't mean rough times in general at Airstream. I would have liked to see the Classic Motorhome come back even though that was not what I was interested in purchasing for myself at this juncture in my life.
I agree! I was lookking forward to buying one of the "new" classics...in about 10 years when I might be able to afford a used one.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:26 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I agree! I was lookking forward to buying one of the "new" classics...in about 10 years when I might be able to afford a used one.

Aaron
I could see maybe a nice used "new" classic diesel pusher in about 10 years, too. But I certainly couldn't drop the price I have seen speculated for a "new" classic now. But they would have been nice looking.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-14-2006, 10:32 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I was talking to a dealer a few weeks back about Airstreams in general. He had some very interesting things to say about the product. He is NOT an Airstream dealer anymore. He sold airstreams untill this year. He has been in the RV business for 40 years. His opinion is that Airstreams about to make some changes in the Upper managment. Many are about to retire who controll the business. Air stream sales are suffering because of more and more quality issues. In general they don't have the amenities that other trailers have for much less price. HE thinks the company needs a shot in the arm. More innovative people. They are priceing themselves out of business NOT because they are too exspensive but because for the price the qualility is less than some manufactures. He quit selling airstreams because He was getting pressure from dealers in the reagion. He was undercutting them in cost. A couple of years ago He was the Largest volume Lance camper dealer in the united states. HE showed me the award from Lance to prove it.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:19 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm sure $3+/gallon also aren't doing wonders for the RV market in general.

I do agree with the QC comments fully!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:26 AM   #12
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We were blessed with high quality in the 30' Safari we purchased in May. I don't know if its production date of February had anything to do with it, but many on this forum feel that the first two months of the calendar year are slow and quality can be higher as a result. I don't know if it is true, but we did get a great unit. We had wanted a Special Edition 30' Bunk, but unfortunately Airstream never offered this plan in the SE before killing the model. I think that's a shame because the Safari SE's are reported to be their top selling units. My issue with Airstream is that they just don't offer enough family friendly units.

My Airstream dealer told me that Airstream is getting ready to introduce a line similar to the Argosy concept within the next couple of years with the intention of being an entry line for younger families that aren't willing or can't afford to pay $50K for an Airstream Safari SE. Hopefully, they will take a look at what the SOB's are selling most and incorporate those ideas into the Airstream monocoque design. If they try to introduce a "squarestream" again, I don't think it will be successful. I think even the yuppies among us want a recognizable Airstream product not just a name plastered on a white box or even a gray box.

Slide-outs are nice in the Airstream, but they seem to be heavy and add a great deal to the price, or at least they are reserved for the larger, more expensive units so I don't know if that is the answer, but I would like to see some inovation that is a real Airstream with the comforts that Airstream is known for even if it winds up being a painted Airstream like the Argosy was.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-15-2006, 07:40 AM   #13
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
my 2¢

i think they are on the right track with the vintage/winick bambi. that's the biggest appeal of the airstream, the classic americana dream. it's a shame they can't do it for 2/3 of what the vintage one is selling for. if it was mainstream produced, and not a limited run, the numbers might work, who knows. i applaud the basecamp as well, though it's not really my cup of tea. it does appeal to the younger market, and it does show innovative thinking. every other travel trailer on the market looks the same. i can't stand em. they may slide out to the size of a small NY flat, but we go camping to spend time outdoors.

i do agree with keeping the quality up. i've never owned a new one, but have read numerous posts here about low QC issues.

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:11 AM   #14
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
... My issue with Airstream is that they just don't offer enough family friendly units...
Bingo...but I don't know if that'll ever change. Really, these trailers have always been meant for well-monied empty nesters or otherwise childless couples, who like to travel for the sake of travel. A "tube" simply doesn't lend itself to stacking bunks like a "cube" does. I bet the market research shows that people who can afford this kind of trailer, and have kids, don't want to travel this way. They'll just fly to Disney, thankyou. They have the $$$...but not the time to hook up and meander across the country. The destination is more important than the journey.

and just because you want to call it a "six sleeper", that doesn't really mean it is. You can also call a 42" pull-out couch a "double" until you're blue in the face; that doesn't make it so.
Now, maybe they could make these tubular trailers more family-friendly...we've seen some very clever mods made by some very capable people here. but they are the exception that proves the rule.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:37 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I think that Airstream should concentrate on their historic base product, curved aluminum travel trailers.

An Airstream Motorhome is like a Cadillac or Lincoln pick-up truck. It Looks out of place, and is demeaning to the iconic symbol of the company.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
Bingo...but I don't know if that'll ever change. Really, these trailers have always been meant for well-monied empty nesters or otherwise childless couples, who like to travel for the sake of travel. A "tube" simply doesn't lend itself to stacking bunks like a "cube" does. I bet the market research shows that people who can afford this kind of trailer, and have kids, don't want to travel this way. They'll just fly to Disney, thankyou. They have the $$$...but not the time to hook up and meander across the country. The destination is more important than the journey.

and just because you want to call it a "six sleeper", that doesn't really mean it is. You can also call a 42" pull-out couch a "double" until you're blue in the face; that doesn't make it so.
Now, maybe they could make these tubular trailers more family-friendly...we've seen some very clever mods made by some very capable people here. but they are the exception that proves the rule.
I tend to agree, the young dynamic family with disposable income is more likely to travel in a "faster mode" which is not a trailer. And...if these families do choose an RV vs flying, it is more likely going to be a 40' MH. As the price of Airstreams climb, the customer base gets more select. The Basecamp confirms the fact that AS is not going after the family market.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:21 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Build your own Airstream

Too bad Airstream doesn't sell "kit" trailers that can be customized on the inside. Buy the beautiful, distinctive Airstream shell and put the inside together the way you want. It would eliminate the quality issues that seem to be plaguing Airstream and give people the opportunity to create something that works for them and doesn't look like every other interior.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:33 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
i think they are on the right track with the vintage/winick bambi. that's the biggest appeal of the airstream, the classic americana dream. it's a shame they can't do it for 2/3 of what the vintage one is selling for.

jp
I agree, right track, but price is just plain unreasonable. You could get a decked out Classic for what the 75th goes for. It's not that I don't think the 75th is a fantastic unit, it is, but when you've owned a new unit and watch the value drop after the first few years, you have to REALLY like the unit.

As for where Airstream heads, I'm sure they'll have many successes and failures along the way. The thing I like best about them is that they are trying to freshen up the line.

In a world of instant gratification, RVing my at some point seem like folks that use to use rotary telephones. It's a special crowd that do what we do.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:21 PM   #19
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
i read somewhere that harley davidson made 90% of it's income from product licensing, and NOT motorcycles... of course there's a lot more harley t-shirt wearin dudes out there than guys with airstream caps, but it does make you think. people buy a harley for $20K, and spend half that again in chroming it up. parts and trinkets apply to the whole crowd, not just the new units. it works, if you have a name with a history... like harley, or airstream.

i do agree with the customizing thing, though. my cousin is a builder, and would gladly buy a complete shell, with tanks installed to do his own thing. you would run into all sorts of problems regarding outlet locations, water, etc, etc... so i can see why they don't do it.

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:02 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
Too bad Airstream doesn't sell "kit" trailers that can be customized on the inside. Buy the beautiful, distinctive Airstream shell and put the inside together the way you want. It would eliminate the quality issues that seem to be plaguing Airstream and give people the opportunity to create something that works for them and doesn't look like every other interior.
I'm not laughing at you, but rather at the thought of what some of these would look like after the 'skilled owners' finish or give up on their custom interiors. I have cleaned up other people's messes, and it is good for a laugh.
Now, I have been through the factory maybe a dozen times+ a few, and have seen a radical change in the quality of the craftsmanship now excercised in the building of our favorite trailers, HOWEVER, I will be the first to say they are not where they ought to be. When the old bomb factory was converted, the countryside around Jackson Center did not majically produce a bunch of skilled assembly people. Fact is, much, if not most of Airstream's assembly proceedures were still more like a 'one off' than an assembly line. It still has some of that look. During the rally in Salem this past summer, I visited the Forrest River plant and watched what I consider was a real assembly line proceedure. When the pre-cut pieces were put in place, they fit. As late as 2005, at the Airstream Homecoming, I saw a brand new unit on which the pre-cut hole in the ceiling through which the black tank vent passed, that did not fit. The answer was to take a pair of tin snips and do a rough cut, and I do mean a jagged, sharp edged rough cut. Then the unit had been 'passed' for delivery to the dealer for sale to the public!
The product is a well engineered one, the production is not quite so, but the production costs much be phenominal for them to cost so much. I still wouldn't have another brand trailer. On the other hand, the only reason I own an Airstream motorhome is the WBCCI as we have taken many caravans with them, and attended many rallies, from Internationals to local. We are very active in these and as a result, enjoy them immensly. The support from the factory could use some help. The headliner issue is a good example. The front axle issue on the 2000 390 XL motorhomes is another. The solutions were poorly executed for a company that NEEDS loyalty from its customers.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote