Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

19' Bambi Safari Special Edition

On the San Antonio Airstream dealer's website, there's a new ad for a Bambi Special Edition that begins, "new plan, just out!" Anyone have any information on this "new plan"? The Airstream site doesn't.
ricksre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:49 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There is fragmented info everywhere.

Bottom line the "special editions" have the CCD/Classic type windows, wrap around front window, CCD inner skin with normal Bambi/Safari interior furnishings. Other that that, it's basically the same size shape and weight.

You can get an idea of the inside from this link to Airstream's site. Though this link is a 25', it gives you a sense of what the insides are like, minus the acutal floorplan.

http://www.airstream.com/product_lin...i25_vtour.html
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:16 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
On the either the Home Channel or Travel Channel this wekend we saw an RV show and they were touring the inside of one of these CCD walls/Safari cabinetry Bambis. At least I assume that's what it was. It seemed to have vinyl/fabric on the walls around the dinette, but had bare aluminum behind the sink. It also had a pergo-type floor.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:30 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Though I can't rule out a special built to order unit or a modified one, the one's that I have seen have been straight CCD bare alum inner skins all around.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:48 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
On the either the Home Channel or Travel Channel this wekend we saw an RV show and they were touring the inside of one of these CCD walls/Safari cabinetry Bambis. At least I assume that's what it was. It seemed to have vinyl/fabric on the walls around the dinette, but had bare aluminum behind the sink. It also had a pergo-type floor.
All of the current models have bare stainless surfaces in the galley. Some models have vinyl floors that could be mistaken for Pergo in a TV image.

My International 22' had the stainless in the galley, also. It was a let down to have to worry about grease splashes on the fuzzy hull liner in my 25' galley.

Our dealer has a Safari Special Edition in stock. I was impressed with it and I thought it would be a quick seller, but they have had it for quite a while just as they seem to be moving a lot of other Airstream models.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:55 AM   #6
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
I saw the 25' Special Edition at our local dealers... It was really nice... The lighting really brightens up the trailer and all the windows have the silver mini blinds.
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:12 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

19' bambi special edition

This is a 19' version of the 25' introduced earlier. CCD windows and aluminum walls. Safari cabinets and upholstery.
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:37 PM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Though I can't rule out a special built to order unit or a modified one, the one's that I have seen have been straight CCD bare alum inner skins all around.
According to the factory, they won't do a custom order like that. Only the stock versions unless it is to be used for commercial purposes such as a mobile doctor's office, etc., then it will be made by their commercial unit.

There has long been a Bambi Safari on the official Airstream website and in the Airstream brochures. It has the aluminum inner panels and Safari cabinetry. There is also the International Bambi that has the International cabinetry that is most popular and the model that everyone is most familiar with. The Safari Bambi is only available in the two shorter models.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:26 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Though I agree, most of the major changes aren't done, but adding felt to the dinette area I would not think would be a major change, and as such if someone wanted it, I could not see the factory not doing it if requested. Heck I've asked them things that I would consider far more difficult to do and they did it. Felt over the inner panels, considering they already have the sizes, shapes and install techniques down pat, I would think this to be very easy option if someone wanted it.

I also agree with John, the new floors are very good and can easily be mistaken for something other than it is...then again, one can't rule out the owner did the floor and/or the felt on the interior on their own.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:34 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

19 foot special edition.

Colonial airstream shows a 19 foot special edition on their website at
http://www.colonialairstream.com/newinventory/7759.html

It is just like our 25 food special edition safari - CCD windows and interior walls but Safari cabinets.

For us this special edition was the thing that clinched our airstream choice. Just couldn't see having fuzzy walls on the inside, given we travel with a golden retriever. Also the windows are so nice. I LOVE the all vinyl floor, down here in FL the campsites have a lot of sand, so carpet would be a nightmare. the vinyl looks like pergo and it quite attractive. It is super easy to clean.

When we got our 25' the model we looked at happened to have the full audio package in it. We probably wouldn't have paid all that money for the cd/sat. radio/flat screen tv, but, in the 6 trips we've taken so far, we just love it. A luxury,but very nice not to have to tote a tv or stereo and the satellite radio is wonderful. If you can swing it it's really nice to have.

After a busy camping season in FL our airstream is at rest, too hot to really camp down here anymore, but in July it's off to the Airstream park in Virginia for a week. Our longest trip to date! then in the fall we start up again. Guess we are opposite of you all up north who are just getting them out of storage.

When we show our special edition to folks it gets a good response. the neatest thing is how it looks at night. The lighting inside is very dramatic with the recessed ceiling lights. It is very cool!

Barbara
red2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:49 AM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Heck I've asked them things that I would consider far more difficult to do and they did it.
What kind of things have you asked them to do?

I called the factory about a couple of things and was told that the basic list of options was it. One salesman told me I could have all of the things I wanted that Airstream did those kind of things all the time (i.e. corian in the Safari for example) but the factory told me no.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:05 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
What kind of things have you asked them to do?

I called the factory about a couple of things and was told that the basic list of options was it. One salesman told me I could have all of the things I wanted that Airstream did those kind of things all the time (i.e. corian in the Safari for example) but the factory told me no.
I called the factory and worked with the dealer. I wanted the 15k BTU A/C w/ heat pump and the Comfort Control System. It was not an option on the 25' Safari, but was on the 25' Classic. Cost was about $300 to upgrade. Also had them put in the second fantastic vent and when in for service had them add the '05 Safari 2 step entry steps.

When I asked for at least the rear window like the 25' CCD, I was told flat out no way (only to find the Special Edition come out 9 months later)....maybe I should be an Airstream designer.

At any rate, when considering a 31' Classic Dinette, I asked the factory if I could get a Classic with the LED tail lights (instead of those big boxy looking tail lights) and they said sure, which ones, round (new style) or oval (like on the CCDs and Safaris in 2004). Also asked them if I could get the center rivet line trim piece deleted, exposing the rivet line as found on the Safari and CCD lines. They said sure. Also asked that if I ordered a 31' could I get it without any sticky matierials placed on it. For example, pinstripes, Airstream lettering on front and back, basically anything that required sticky type substance to be attached...the answer was, though we'd really like to put the Airstream name on it, if you didn't want it on there, we could accomidate the request not to place items needing to be glued on the exterior.

So to me, some of the easier requests are generally granted. The harder of the ones I feel would have been the 15k unit with the CCS. However, the 25' Classic has most of the electronics and such in the same place, so it wasn't too far of a reach. Felt covering the CCD inner skin should be a fairly easy request.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:49 AM   #13
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Some comments

In regards to the LED taillights, Dave Schumann gave a talk at our recent Region 9 rally and stated that there is now a kit available to convert pre-LED Classics to the LED taillights. I would like to do that on mine, but I haven't priced the kit yet. Has anyone out there priced it?

One minor change that I would certainly ask the factory to do on a new Classic would be to replace the blinds in the bedroom with day-night blinds like the rest of the trailer. As it is now, the bedroom is either a dark hole or completely open to the public. Since the windows are the same sizes as the front of the trailer, this should be an easy change.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:39 AM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
When I asked for at least the rear window like the 25' CCD, I was told flat out no way (only to find the Special Edition come out 9 months later)....maybe I should be an Airstream designer.
This is along the lines of my most difficult request. I think the Safari 30' Bunk is the most family friendly, or at least to my family, floor plan Airstream offers. I like the clean lines of the Safari cabinets and the warm laminents of the Safari better than the CCD's, but I like the windows of the CCD better. I also like having some of the "porthole" and vista view windows, too. When I asked about upgrading the windows on the 30' like the 25' Safari SE and was told that wasn't possible and that there was no current plan to offer the 30' in the SE trim package. I was also told no about corian counters even though that was part of the LS package in '03. While I would prefer the "padded" walls, I would compromise on the exposed aluminum skins on the interior to get the windows that open all the way as opposed to just the little opening at the bottom. I like fresh air and would like to have as much window surface open as possible when the A/C isn't needed.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:04 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think (and this is pure speculation on my part) that it seems only logical that sometime soon the special edition will make it to the 30'. I say this because I've seen lots of neat things Airstream is doing on this last trip out there. I recall when someone asked for a 19' Special Edition, the answer was no, but then a few months after the 25' was out, here was the 19' Bambi Special Edition.

I also seem to recall a comment made that did not directly say it would happen, but that folks were looking at how popular the other models did before rolling it out...meaning it could happen, it could not happen. Take it a face value.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Making Safari Special Editions on the same length models that there is an existing International model would seem like a fairly easy fit in the production schedule and I would bet that the Special Additions will continue to grow in numbers.

But they do not make the International in a 30 footer, so I would not hold my breath while waiting for one to come out. I think the 30 footer is an awesome family floor plan and it would be great to see a 30' Bunkhouse International CCD too.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:50 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksre
On the San Antonio Airstream dealer's website, there's a new ad for a Bambi Special Edition that begins, "new plan, just out!" Anyone have any information on this "new plan"? The Airstream site doesn't.

No, but look at the Quicksilver Edition. Woof.

http://adcache.rvtraderonline.com/3/2/7/79237927.htm
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:21 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Interesting, that looks like the pics show it in production at the factory.

As for the 30' being a Special Edition, I wouldn't totally rule it out. If they build a quicksilver unit, which would require some totally different type gear, it only seems like the next logical step should the 19 and 25 foot units do well.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:05 AM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I wrote to Airstream two days ago inquiring about the possibility of a 30' Safari Bunkhouse SE and this is the response I got:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The Special Edition Package was first made
available in December 2004 on the 25' Safari Six-Sleeper model. In March
2005 we introduced the package in the 19' International and just recently
offered it up in the 25' Front Bedroom model. I believe it will eventually
be made available in the 30' Safari Bunk House. Please feel free to check
back in July for further update as to the start up on this model.

Sincerely,

Vicki Lazier
Sales Distribution Manager"

So maybe this will be an '06 model introduction.

I am looking for a September 1 delivery date so this would be about the right time frame.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:14 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I wrote to Airstream two days ago inquiring about the possibility of a 30' Safari Bunkhouse SE and this is the response I got:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The Special Edition Package was first made
available in December 2004 on the 25' Safari Six-Sleeper model. In March
2005 we introduced the package in the 19' International and just recently
offered it up in the 25' Front Bedroom model. I believe it will eventually
be made available in the 30' Safari Bunk House. Please feel free to check
back in July for further update as to the start up on this model.

Sincerely,

Vicki Lazier
Sales Distribution Manager"

So maybe this will be an '06 model introduction.

I am looking for a September 1 delivery date so this would be about the right time frame.
BTW, that front bedroom model 25' might also have the option for the rear panaoramic window....FYI.

I had a feeling that the 30' wouldn't be too far away.