Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Stephenville , Texas
1979 31' Sovereign - 100% n00b - Bringing it back to life

Greetings!

Let me start off by saying I am completely new to the travel trailer world.

The reason I decided to buy one is my current living arrangements are about to change and I needed a low cost living situation while I live out the remainder of my stay in my college town. I purchased an Airstream because I have heard lots of praise about them over the years and I came across this '79 for a heck of a price, IMO.

Now that I got it, I need to make it road worthy again. It was last inspected in June of 2007 and since that time it has sat along the side of a barn.
The owners (2 guys, both brothers) took really good care of it and I think it has aged well for a 30+ year piece of equipment.

1st things first, though, getting it roadworthy to get it to its new location. I'm having trouble getting the rear lights to work. None of the lights worked on the initial plug in to my truck. After pulling the covers and cleaning contacts, the lights work when they want to or with a little persuasion. Ive purchased all new bulbs yesterday evening after tinkering with them and will try them today when I get off work but I feel many of the bulb bases are too far gone to be 100% reliable.

Does anyone know where I can find replacements?

Also, the fuse box at the front of the cabin has quite a bit of corrosion on them, and there is a fuse missing. The fuse missing is on the far left. Is there a corrosion eliminating spray I can hit the fuse panel with or am I going to have to wire brush each individual wire and contact?
Do the wires for the lights run through the ceiling of the cabin?

Also, what kind of brakes does it have and is there anything I should look for as far as getting those in good working order. I havent hooked up to it yet so I dont know if they work or not.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Gasgano1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Stephenville , Texas
Well after some heavy cleaning and all new bulbs, the rear lights work....kinda. Reverse doesn't work still and the running and turn flashers work when they want. And whenever I hit the brakes, they cut off completely and I have "fire" on all 7 wires after the main plug. I think I have a bad ground somewhere. Can someone please point me in the direction of the trailer light ground on my AS?
Gasgano1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign