Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2002, 04:47 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Couch option

I notice that the newest web pages list a couch option for the AS in place of the dinette. Boy, I wish that had been offered when I bought mine (or I had at least known about it if it was). I don't give a hang about ever using the dinette as a bed. The salesman at the dealer hadn't heard about it till I told him this afternoon.

Funny thing, I have been looking at the dinette for quite a while and seriously thinking of ripping it out and replacing it with a couch. The only big change would be relocating the converter. I wish I could see one with the couch to see just what was done.

I have some experience in this kind of renovation. I ripped out the dinette in my old Scamp and replaced it with two swivel ofice chairs, bolted to the floor with a nice trapezoidal cabinet between them. I made 2 "stow-sway", airliner-type tables for eating. It was really great. The chairs made a much nicer place to sit after driving all day than the dinette.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 10:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Funny how individual these things are...huh?!

We took out our front couch & are dying to build-in a dinette! Hope to have it done before spring...

Too bad our trailers are so different (nearly 40 years!), or else we could trade!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 12:19 PM   #3
Contributing Member

Here's how it would look

The current dinette seats only two persons due to the huge cover over the wheelwell. That is one reason I don't like it as it is.

I took the floorplan and rotated the current dinette seats. They fit perfectly to make a couch. I would build a wood base and use just the back portion of the molded plastic dinette seat frames so that the seat and back cushions would fit perfectly. The whole thing fits nicely under the window and the carpet is there under the current dinette. I would only have to extend the AC outlet that would be covered. I don't mind losing the covered phone jack because I would never use it anyway. I would have to do a little work on the bottom of the partitions at each end.

The huge cover over the wheelwell can be removed and replaced with protection for the few pipes and wires that run in the area. This adds some storage space. I would have to move the converter and water pump slightly. The converter wires are long enough as is, so I would only have to do a little plumbing.

One of my hobbies is woodworking. I would build a folding table that would restrict access to the refrigerator only slightly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	couch_plan.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	806  
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-10-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I sure like the 22' Safari floorplan featuring a sofa instead of dinette that Pahaska created. I wish it were available from AS as my wife and I are debating which model AS to purchase. We definitely prefer a sofa over a dinette.
The Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:06 PM   #5
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duck
I sure like the 22' Safari floorplan featuring a sofa instead of dinette that Pahaska created. I wish it were available from AS as my wife and I are debating which model AS to purchase. We definitely prefer a sofa over a dinette.
The length between partitions is the same as a standard Airstream couch. If you could find a couch in a wrecked Airstream or one someone has removed, it wouldn't be too hard to put it in that trailer. It would entail some removal of part of the frame to span the mechanicals.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-12-2005, 09:21 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the advice. Problem is, we are looking to buy a brand new unit and the 22' doesn't come with the couch option. Have you suggested your design to Airstream? I think it is a terrific option.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:11 AM   #7
Contributing Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Problem is, we are looking to buy a brand new unit and the 22' doesn't come with the couch option. Have you suggested your design to Airstream? I think it is a terrific option.
Airstream offered the couch as an option on the late, lamented International AS; however, the information was poorly disseminated. The salesmen at my dealer didn't even know about the option until I mentioned to them that I saw the option on the floorplans on airstream.com. Then they showed no real interest in trying to sell the option. I'm sure that Airstream received such a poor customer response that they would shy away from ever offering it on that florplan again.

The couch certainly made the trailer more liveable. I was tired of wedging into the dinette to watch the TV on top of the refrigerator.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #8
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Kind of speaks to the whole "modular floorplan" concept that circles around here from time to time. Imagine havig two or three options availble to you for that 74" space in your trailer. What if you could change it out as your needs changed? Kind of like minivan seating but for RVs.

btw - your concept drawing is a great floorplan. We've also considered removing our dinette and replacing with a couch (which would make two on the drivers side) but until the kids are a little older it makes sense to leave the dinette.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:23 PM   #9
Contributing Member

For those who came to the forum lately ...

I did convert the dinette in the 22' International AS to a couch by rotating the dinette seats. It took a little more "carving" on the plastic seats than I first envisioned, but the final result was quite good and the conversion was done in an afternoon and a day. The liveability of the trailer was increased quite a bit. I ultimately traded that trailer for a 25' Classic.

I built a folding table that stored against the bedroom partition and folded out for dining. Some searching whould locate the old posts with a number of photos of the conversion.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-12-2005, 03:02 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Airstream has repeatedly stated they would be happy to modify your new coach when built, if the change is physically possible. When I asked about it, they would charge $250, plus the price of any additional parts to make the change.
This may no longer be the case, as I was told this in Feb. of 2003, but it would be worth an inquiry. To the factory, not the dealer.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:05 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Good idea, Terry. Will ask Airstream here in Ohio about that option.

Tags
2003 international