Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2006, 05:22 AM   #21
Craftsman

You can buy most anything cheaper at Walmart but I'll spend a little more and support a business like Andy's or a local business before I'll line Sam Waltions pockets. Walmarts are like Mac Mansions and tract homes, a blight on the landscape. They cater to those who put " cheap" as this first priorty for buying anything...... And while I have this mini rant going, What could possiably be the reason for a law that doesn't allow you to use your parking lights in the daytime? Even during rain or fog ?
Old 12-05-2006, 06:02 AM   #22
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Evil Capitolists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
You can buy most anything cheaper at Walmart but I'll spend a little more and support a business like Andy's or a local business before I'll line Sam Waltions pockets. Walmarts are like Mac Mansions and tract homes, a blight on the landscape. They cater to those who put " cheap" as this first priorty for buying anything...... And while I have this mini rant going, What could possiably be the reason for a law that doesn't allow you to use your parking lights in the daytime? Even during rain or fog ?
The Wal Mart lobbiest pushed that law thru to increase sells of headlights
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:20 AM   #23
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Arrow

Quote:
You can buy most anything cheaper at Walmart but I'll spend a little more and support a business like Andy's or a local business before I'll line Sam Waltions pockets.
Hear, hear!
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:02 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Looks like a pretty cool gadget
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:29 AM   #25
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Hello again-
Yes it is very cool but I still have not yet figured out how to install it on the back of my Safari. If anyone knows where that elusive back-up light wire is, please let me know. Since the Mfg. makes it very clear the unit is not designed to be on all the time (the camera portion) I need to figure this out. The only other idea I came up with was to run it off the plate light but would need to install a switch, no big deal, but I don't want to go out to the back of the trailer everytime to turn it on and off.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:44 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Hello again-
Yes it is very cool but I still have not yet figured out how to install it on the back of my Safari. If anyone knows where that elusive back-up light wire is, please let me know. Since the Mfg. makes it very clear the unit is not designed to be on all the time (the camera portion) I need to figure this out. The only other idea I came up with was to run it off the plate light but would need to install a switch, no big deal, but I don't want to go out to the back of the trailer everytime to turn it on and off.

I was looking at this little gadget as a way to turn off my refrigerator when re-fueling. Might work for you as well.

Greg

http://www.directron.com/rm01.html
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:52 AM   #27
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Thumbs up

Hey Greg-

That is pretty cool. The price is right! I could buy a whole bunch of them and wire them to all the light on our AS and stuff and just sit at the campfire and make everyting go on and off.

Actually, if I can not find that back-up light wire I will get this. Thanks!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 12-05-2006, 08:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
The Wal Mart lobbiest pushed that law thru to increase sells of headlights
WalMart can't get all of the credit, California's law predates WalMart. They are a popular target these days.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
You can buy most anything cheaper at Walmart but I'll spend a little more and support a business like Andy's or a local business before I'll line Sam Waltions pockets. Walmarts are like Mac Mansions and tract homes, a blight on the landscape. They cater to those who put " cheap" as this first priorty for buying anything.
Purchase for whomever you like. Since I don't sell them I don't care, but I was informing the budget minded forum searcher who doesn't want to spent the additional $42.00 plus shipping for the same thing, and could have it the same day. Thats a few Christmas presents for some kids.

SM
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:40 AM   #30
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

The camera mounts on the license plate bracket and ties into the back-up OR license plate light circuit. It's so small no one will realize it's there. The monitor is placed on the tow vehicle dash and plugs into the 12 volt outlet or cigarette lighter.

Andy
FAQ/Knowledge Base : Back-Up Cameras: VRBCS300W:Click below to begin the help process:
What is your situation? I can not see the screen. The screen is too dark. The monitor is showing interference. My monitor does not come on fast. My Scotchlok connectors failed. What is the camera's transmition range? I need infomation for my car model. I want my camera on all the time. Where do I wire the camera? The camera has water in the lens. I think I am missing a part. My situation is not covered here.

I want my camera on all the time.

The camera can not be on all the time. It will overheat. It should be wired to the vehicle's reverse lights. Wiring the unit differently than the manual specifies will void any warranty.

Andy- I am really confussed! You say to conect the camera to your license plate light. That would make the camera be on all the time your lights are on. But RoadMaster says not to because the camera will over-heat and void the warranty. If I were to buy one of these from you how long would you warranty it for? Because if you will give the unit a 2 year warranty I'll buy it from you.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 12-05-2006, 12:33 PM   #31
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
What I really want is one that has a wireless camera with recieve that I can plug into my "stereo". I have an aux input in the display unit that I could connect to.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:34 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
I have one; I haven't tested it on the road yet. It dose transmit from the inside of the trailer to the monitor.... I plan to attach in the back window so it is out of the weather.

BTW you don't want the 2 button model the one I have has power, contrast, brightness, and 4 postion image flip so 4 buttons.
Camping World has the 4 button model. ($119 club price, Reg $132.23). We have a couple near by but with the $1 shipping it's cheaper than driving Transmitting through several sheets of aluminum sounds a bit amazing. Mounting up on the back window sounds like a good idea. Just two windows to transmit through and less of a target for theft. I would think though that the lower the better for visibility.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Andy and All, Greetings-

I just purchased this unit from e-trailer. Thay were having a holiday special, two for the price of one. Ended up costing only $98.00 each. One for me and one for a Christmas present to a good friend. I temporarily set it up in the car and it does work very well. Very clear picture for a small screen, however. Andy, you CAN NOT leave it on full time. Hence my thread asking for help in location the back-up wire in a Safari tail-light wire cluster. They are very specific in stating on their web-site and customer service the camera will overheat if left on full time. The camera MUST be wired into your back-up light harness. So, I am really hoping someone out there can help me find the wire for the back-up lights in my 22' Safari harness. We don't have the back-up lights but I would imagin that AS has a universal harness they use for almost all the trailers and the wire must be there. Any help would be great!
I had mine on for several hours and it didn't heat up. I am on the road for work now but when I return home I will put a thermometer on it. I have a bunch of heat sinks laying around taken from old CPU's which I can add.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:59 PM   #34
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
. I soldered a 12 volt plug in and use the voltage in the trailer. I think I may cut off the license plate mount and a little Velcro will let it be used for many things. Security camera, ball alignment camera and so on. I plan to attach in the back window so it is out of the weather. I may open the unit and add a different antenna. I did get some interference at about 35 feet and 150 feet would be on the far side of the range. Pep boys have the units for $99.00 after rebate. I will bring it to Topsail.

BTW you don't want the 2 button model the one I have has power, contrast, brightness, and 4 postion image flip so 4 buttons.

Jim
Hello Jim- OK, I am really confussed. According to RoadMaster, unit is not to be left on for any long period of time, camera will over-heat. Other than wiring the camera unit into your back-up lighting wire warranty will be void. I have been playing with the unit in our car and we get a pretty good picture from inside but when mounted outside the picture is improved. I have a little switch on the camera power line right now while I play around with it. My goal is to connect it to the back of our Safari for an extra set of eyes when backing into those small SP sites. Hence my call for help in trying to figure out wether there is a back-up light wire in the tail light harness of my Safari. If anyone has any ideas on that I would appreciate hearing from you. I had also memtioned to Andy the warranty concerns after his comments of hooking the camera up to your parking lights, which would also void the warranty. If I can not find the wire in the Safari I might have to be happy with it just mounted on my TV for hitching up.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 12-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hello again-
You can run the camera continuously, therefore you can hook it up to the license plate light. When towing, turn the lights on.

I have not found anything that says you cannot run the monitor or camera continuously.

We have run the camera for 48 hours with no ill effects.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:50 PM   #36
Rivet Master

I lucked out this one time

As soon as I read this topic , I went down to Wallmart. I didn't even look at the price. I have been looking for something like this forever. I got it for $50 plus tax. I think that they were removing them from the selves as they were on a cart.
I am just going to use mine for hitching up, Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:01 PM   #37
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
As soon as I read this topic , I went down to Wallmart. I didn't even look at the price. I have been looking for something like this forever. I got it for $50 plus tax. I think that they were removing them from the selves as they were on a cart.

Sounds like Wal-Mart doesn't want to be in the RV parts and accessory business.

Andy
Old 12-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #38
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
You can run the camera continuously, therefore you can hook it up to the license plate light. When towing, turn the lights on.

I have not found anything that says you cannot run the monitor or camera continuously.

We have run the camera for 48 hours with no ill effects.

Andy
Andy- As I noted and posted above, right from RoadMasters own website, NOT to run the camera continuously. What's up?
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 12-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #39
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
Did you get the color version with the full function adjustments for only $50.00? I thought I did good at getting two for one from e-trailer!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 12-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy- As I noted and posted above, right from RoadMasters own website, NOT to run the camera continuously. What's up?
Two of us have read the instructions that come with the set.

No where does it say anything about a limited useof the camera or monitor.

If it doesn't specifically spell out a limited use, then logic would say there is none.

I will run one again, but this time for at least one week, non-stop.

I will report back the results.

Andy