Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Airstream Factory visit

I will be at the Airstream factory in a couple of weeks, for a few days, for a variety of reasons.

If someone has a technical problem or beef with the factory, please let me know.

I will be happy to assist with a solution to that problem, if possible.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hi Andy, thanks for the offer, I've PM'd you.

Thanks!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Hi Andy, thanks for the offer, I've PM'd you.

Thanks!
I have added your concerns to my "questions to ask" list.

Answers to these questions will be posted about April 21st or so.

Andy
Old 03-29-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ask them if they are bringing the argosy line back.

it is probably super double top secret!

john
Old 03-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

I'd like to know if there is any intention to use the corrosion resistant frame and rot-resistant floor as used in the European Airstreams, and, if not, why not. I've never seen a European trailer frame rot as badly as some of the Airstreams I've repaired, or seen opened up at salvage yards. I don't believe that different climate or road chemicals arguments can be supported by the facts. I suspect that the answer is that most potential buyers of new trailers don't show much interest in such matters, and that the company responds accordingly. However, I'd like to know what Airstream says to you.
Nick.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
I'd like to know if there is any intention to use the corrosion resistant frame and rot-resistant floor as used in the European Airstreams, and, if not, why not. I've never seen a European trailer frame rot as badly as some of the Airstreams I've repaired, or seen opened up at salvage yards. I don't believe that different climate or road chemicals arguments can be supported by the facts. I suspect that the answer is that most potential buyers of new trailers don't show much interest in such matters, and that the company responds accordingly. However, I'd like to know what Airstream says to you.
Nick.
Nick.

Your question, to me, carries a challenge to Airstream's engineering thinking, the answer being important to you.

Just because we are a dealer, gives us no right to push them into a corner, asking them "why not?"

We are not visiting them to challenge that kind of manufacturing method.

Accordingly, please contact customer service directly, for a possible answer.

You can call them at 1-877-5966505, if you wish.

Andy
Old 03-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
I have added your concerns to my "questions to ask" list.

Answers to these questions will be posted about April 21st or so.

Andy
Thanks Andy!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
Nick.
Your question, to me, carries a challenge to Airstream's engineering thinking, the answer being important to you.Just because we are a dealer, gives us no right to push them into a corner, asking them "why not?"
You can call them at 1-877-5966505, if you wish.Andy
Andy, that's an interesting reply. In fact, I regard the issue as a challenge to consumers, rather than to Airstream. If potential buyers had shown great interest in corrosion resistant frames and rot-resistant floors, I assume the company would have responded. No public company could justify to its shareholders the over-engineering of products to satisfy a small minority of customers. I do not regard a phone call to a customer service department as appropriate for this question. Accordingly, I have e-mailed tech@airstream.com as follows:

"I note that the new European Airstream has a 48 mm sandwich floor, partly, I assume, for rot-resistance, and a galvanized frame for, I also presume, corrosion resistance. Does Airstream have any intention to offer these enhancements to USA consumers? If not, why not? I currently own an Airstream Excella 25, 1987, a most excellent trailer, thank you.
Nick Crowhurst."
Old 03-30-2007, 07:11 PM   #9
_

. , .
Quote:
If someone has a technical problem or beef with the factory, please let me know.I will be happy to assist with a solution to that problem, if possible.Andy
hey andy hope you have a great time in j/c...

i sure do every visit.

no offense, by why would any of us need your assistance with 'a technical problem or beef with the factory'

in the modern world, most of us already have ways to contact them...
or warranties
or dealers nearby
or visit ourselves
or can email
or call them

i've found a/s and the folks at j/c to be EXTREMELY customer friendly and helpful...

and while many of us do some times question build issues or pricing or models or styling...

almost no one here has vendor/customer "beefs" with the factory/service center....

it IS true that if the need is a 1952 exhaust vent or fridge knob....

they may not have it. but they do a GREAT job with service, repairs and general customer support.

i'm just having trouble imagining who or what technical problem/beef we'd need YOU to represent for us?

nick really has a pretty simple question.

i'll paraphrase.... 'are we likely to see galvanized frames or other efforts to reduce frame rust in n/a production units?'

i hope you have a wonderful visit and bring us some fun photos or news...

like the many others here who visit j/c...

cheers
2air'

oh and nick...
i WILL ask your question the next time i visit. i'll ask the pres and a couple of the engineers and whoever else might supply a good answer.

it's a good question. i've asked lots more testy questions and always found them open to listening.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hey andy hope you have a great time in j/c...

i sure do every visit.

no offense, by why would any of us need your assistance with 'a technical problem or beef with the factory'
Sometimes, a question asked, in person, gets a far better more informative answer.

I am not visiting them to discuss "designs" or "changes in designs."
That's a question that should be asked by a consumer, not me.

The consumer buys the trailers, not us or me.

We just keep on the road, what they build for the road, in the same or better shape, through repairs, upgrades, conversions and/or remanufacturing.

Andy
Old 03-30-2007, 08:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
oh and nick...
i WILL ask your question the next time i visit. i'll ask the pres and a couple of the engineers and whoever else might supply a good answer.
Kudos and a bucket of karma on the way to you.
Nick.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:01 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:

I am not visiting them to discuss "designs" or "changes in designs."
That's a question that should be asked by a consumer, not me.

The consumer buys the trailers, not us or me.

We just keep on the road, what they build for the road, in the same or better shape, through repairs, upgrades, conversions and/or remanufacturing.

Andy
I dunno Andy, I would think a guy like yourself, in business for as long as you've been with Airstreams, making their products "better", and your personal contact with MANY customers and consumers of airstream...I would think you would be the guy that they would listen to, moreso that someone who just bought a trailer. I don't see the harm in asking, but you're entitled to ask what you like. Just my opinion.

Nick, engineering concerns are more of the chicken or fish variety, not so much beef.

cheers,
brad.

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Andy,

Here's a question for Jackson Center, and we've covered this topic before.

I have a 22' CCD. This would also apply to the 16' CCDs. It comes with two silver painted plastic refrigerator vent covers and frame. The paint is always chipping off and looks terrible. My question: Can these plastic refrigerator vent covers/frames be replaced or retrofitted with aluminum vent covers?
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Nick.

Your question, to me, carries a challenge to Airstream's engineering thinking, the answer being important to you.

Just because we are a dealer, gives us no right to push them into a corner, asking them "why not?"

You can call them at 1-877-5966505, if you wish.

Andy
Andy ---I'm a bit puzzled at this responce !!! Your original post says your going to the factory and if anyone one has a technical problem or a beef you'd be HAPPY to assist. Now it seems you want to qualify any questions and are only interested in asking the ones you deem important. I since a bit of arrogance in your reply.---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Double Secret Undercover Work.

Andy

Could you do a little undercover work for me. I was wondering on the Euro-Version, what is the 40mm laminate floor made of and where can I get some of this material for my frame off restoration?

Thanks
Gary
Old 03-31-2007, 11:43 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

I have had great luck dealing directly with the customer service folks at the factory. Call 937 596-6111 and you will get immediate service.

There is a toll free number but you have to leave a message. With the advent of almost calling nationwide for free I don't mind picking up the cost of the call.

That way my information is first hand directly from the factory.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Andy ---I'm a bit puzzled at this responce !!! Your original post says your going to the factory and if anyone one has a technical problem or a beef you'd be HAPPY to assist. Now it seems you want to qualify any questions and are only interested in asking the ones you deem important. I since a bit of arrogance in your reply.---pieman
No arrogance intended.

I am not going to the factory to inquire about anything other than what may be a common problem, along with things that pertain to Inland RV Center, Inc.
I do not have the time to go into heavy details as to "WHY" Airstream does or does not do something.

Someone's concern about the chassis and flooring, to me, has been a concern of just one person. That person should take it up with the factory, not me.

Airstream "WILL" build anything the purchasers are willing to pay for. When the price increases come about, the all devil breaks, because "how dare" Airstream charge more money, just because a lifetime, non rotting floor was installed. Costs are costs. They must be passed on to the buyer.

We all know the prices of an Airstream. Keeping those costs down, for the benefit of the buying public, is always a matter of opinion.

If someone doesn't like the product, they should inform Airstream, not me. The public is the consumer, not me.

I do, and have given the factory, many suggestions during my 40 plus years, and most of them have been adopted.

But, I am not willing to be a spokes person for anyones crusade.

Things of general nature, absolutely, not a problem.

I think this thread has exhausted it's intended purpose.

I for one, will not make another post in this thread.

If someone would like reasonable help and has a reasonable question or concern, please PM me.

Thanks to all that participated.

We wish all of you, a great Easter.

Andy
Old 03-31-2007, 12:36 PM   #18
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
To rseagle, you can purchase stainless steel refrigerator covers, hot water heater covers and vent a hood covers from Roger Williams Airstream in Weatherford, Texas. They are custom made. I think the refrigerator cover and water heater covers can be purchased for somewhere well under $100 for the pair. The vent cover is higher and costs almost as much as the pair of covers do. Their toll free number is 1-800-378-5883. Ask for David Tidmore, the sales and service manager. You can see pictures of the covers in Pahaska's thread 28' Classic where he has made numerous improvements and design changes to his 28' Classic. Some changes were rather expensive modifications such as his disc brake installation and vent covers and some of his modifications cost very little such as his flashlight holder that he installed near the entrance door. Check out his thread.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Am I the only one concerned?

Quote:
Someone's concern about the chassis and flooring, to me, has been a concern of just one person.
But, I am not willing to be a spokes person for anyones crusade.
Andy
If I am the only person concerned about rotting floors and corroding frames, as alleged above, I will not raise the issue again on this forum. Are any other members concerned?
Nick.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hey Nick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
If I am the only person concerned about rotting floors and corroding frames, as alleged above, I will not raise the issue again on this forum. Are any other members concerned?
Nick.
I live in Virginia near the Ocean - not on, but within 4 miles - I have two Airstreams, a 2005 22' CCD and a 2006 25' FB SE. Honestly I really like the 27 FB SE, but three Airstreams in three years? Noooooooooo!

However if I heard that the new ones could be had with a galvanized frame and rot resistant floor, that Nooooooooo would weaken considerably and eventually (after I sold at least one of the others) I'd be at Safford saying... "Uh, make me an offer that I can't resist!"

Paula Ford

So, Andy. Now could you take THAT information to the Marketing Dept.?
I believe I once told ya'all that as a child I thought there was a certain prayer that had the line, "Lead a snot into temptation"