Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2003, 06:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to cljackson Send a message via Yahoo to cljackson
Mattress replacements for '99 Safari

Any advice on replacing the mattresses in an A/S? We just bought a used '99 Safari with twin beds, and had planned to check into replacing the beds with a queen-size anyway, but after our first night sleeping on them, we know for sure we have to at least replace the mattresses. They are extremely uncomfortable, no support at all. It looks like it wouldn't be that difficult to remove the "box-top" nightstand between them and all we'd need is something in the middle to support the rest of the mattress. Maybe I'm simplifying things too much, but thought I'd see if anyone else has attempted this with any success (or not).

Thanks,
Cheryl & Carl
Montgomery, TX
cljackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 08:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Thumbs up Bear beds!!

Chery,

Check out Bearbeds . I just bought one a few months back and their awesome!!
I sleep great every night now!

If you go to a full size mattress, would you lose access to your under bed storage?

Please check your private messages!!

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 08:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to cljackson Send a message via Yahoo to cljackson
Hi John,

Thanks for the information...we'll check out Bearbeds. I'm assuming we'd probably lose the storage under the beds if we went to one large mattress, but it's not very useful storage anyway, as you have to stand no your head to get to it, plus the beds are beasts to try and make up. One of the RV places I called about potentially replacing the twins with a queen said it might not be possible as the water tank was under one of the beds. I don't really see what difference that would make, but there are probably factors I don't know about. We'd like to see if we could get the bed installed sideways, but not sure if that's possible or not, since those 2 small shirt closets are at one end of the room. We'll see as we go along.

Btw, we found a nice RV park south of Austin this weekend. Nice folks there and they have high-speed internet, so we could even work while there if we needed to, which gave me an idea to maybe "earn our keep" while on the road. Thought I'd bounce the idea off you and see what you think... We use wireless connectivity at home for our computers, so we can work anywhere in we want in our house, and even take our computers outside if we want. Do you think RVers would be interested in learning how to do this? I was thinking maybe we could see if some of the larger, fancier RV parks might comp our site rental for a weekend if we gave some free seminars to show people how to do this. We could even purchase the wireless cards and have those available for people to buy, so we could help them get all set up and running. Think anyone would be interested,or are we just geekier than most Rvers?

Cheryl
cljackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Cheryl,

You should be able to add a full bed. There is a thread out there on this subject, you'll find it if you search for it. As far as making the twin beds up: open the drapes to the back window, then you slide the mattress up on to the night stand(if you don't open the drapes, the mattress will drag across them) and then it's easier to make them up.
Also if you add a quality full size air mattress(doesn't have to be a Bearbed) it will be easier to move onto your new full size frame. I found that the quality air mattresses are awesome!

As far as the "free" seminar, I feel you're on the right track. The higher end rv parks have the folks with the extra cash to lay out for those nice "toys" .

I'm sure you'll hit on something!!

Good luck-John
Old 02-03-2003, 08:23 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
I have a '99 25C and found the mattress uncomfortable. I bought a good quality "Egg Crate" foam mattress pad and then put a high quality standard type mattress pad over that. The bed is like a cloud now. We sleep as well as we do on our $$$$$ Simmons Pillowtop at home.
JaceBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:57 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Compared to the beds in my previous SOB's, the Airstream bed is not too bad. My wife feels differently and we bought one of those high end memory foam pads at one of those bed and towel stores, a.k.a. Linnens and Things. She says it makes all the difference in the world. I think it ran $50-$60. Now if we were out a lot I would probably pony up to John's Bear Bed.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 10:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Jace/Jack,

If I wasn't fulltiming, I too would go your route because it's a simple and cost effective way of solving the uncomfortable sleep.

But for the day-in and day-out sleeping, man nothing bets the Bearbed!

John