Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Kerrville , Texas

I don't understand how this is supposed to keep out water. The lower seal doesn't pull all the way to the aluminum and the top seal is by no means watertight. Even if they both were watertight (as in not allowing water to go between them and the inside shell of the AS wouldn't the water just go straight down into the furnace?
goobscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:52 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
1972 27' Overlander
Wakefield , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobscoob View Post

I don't understand how this is supposed to keep out water. The lower seal doesn't pull all the way to the aluminum and the top seal is by no means watertight. Even if they both were watertight (as in not allowing water to go between them and the inside shell of the AS wouldn't the water just go straight down into the furnace?
Caulk is your friend. Make sure to use the right kind, however: polyurethane caulk such as TremPro 635 http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...-p/vts-267.htm or Sikaflex. Do not use not silicone caulks as they can eat the aluminum.
msimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
I used plumbers puddy for mine. That's what look like it was on there when I took mine off.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
1972 27' Overlander
Wakefield , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobscoob View Post
Even if they both were watertight (as in not allowing water to go between them and the inside shell of the AS wouldn't the water just go straight down into the furnace?
Ours are caulked and water going into the openings has never seemed to be a problem. When you get it put back together, don't forget to install mud dauber screens over those openings!
msimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Kerrville , Texas
Thanks again for the tips guys & gals. We had some free time today to work on AC and weatherstripping again. Our #1 challenge really has been getting free time TOGETHER for the 2 person jobs. That being said as of today we have completed the weatherstripping on the 2 Windows we started. Goo Gone worked by far the best of all the things we tried. After we had scraped/pulled off the big majority we would spray it, let it soak for about 10 minutes and then go at it very gently and patiently with a sharp metal putty knife. That of course was the easy part. Putting the Windows back on when we were done was the hard part. One went on strangely easy this time, I guess we got just the right angle. The other one that gave us a real challenge was the one we struggled with before. No amount of whacking with a rubber mallet worked, nor did holding the edges in and trying to just Jack the middle in by force. In the end what worked was this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468094459.277273.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	266308

Not actually using the Jack to force the middle in but using it to get the board to just the right height with the window at just the right angle and just giving a bit of support in the middle as we closed it. With the right angle and that board it just popped right in. At this point we are going to replace the weatherstripping as needed rather than just do it all. The rest of my free time this week was spent making a backwards telephone wire for the new AC thermostat (what the heck!) mounting the new thermostat and running wires. Hunting down all the fuses and prepping for that electrician to finally come. We are so close to having AC! By this point I have learned SOO much about the electrical workings of the trailer, have a lot of the pages of the service manual memorized. Progress feels slow but it is very rewarding when we do accomplish something, like mounting the new thermostat and I swear I heard angels singing whenever that second window popped back into place. Anywho have a good day fellow streamers!
goobscoob is offline   Reply With Quote