Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Middlesex , North Carolina
Cleaning exterior of '86 Excella

Can someone tell us the best way to clean the exterior of our "new" trailor? It needs a good scrubbing so to say but not sure of what to use on the exterior finish. In our manual it calls for a certain brand, but will another product do just as well?
Fatboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If there is alot of milldew you will have to really scrub it. I expect your roof has lost the clear coat so you could resort to something like scotch bright. I would test in a small area first on the roof where it can't be seen. On the sides, I would use dish soap and water and a rag. I am assuming your clear coat is already gone for the most part. On a new trailer, with good clear coat I would not use the scotch bright. Do not try to climb on the end caps. They are soft and will collapse. Start gentle and work your way up to something more aggressive. A Dobie pad would be something to try. They are not real aggresive but they do a good job on built up crud.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Thank you Perry! The clear coat is in better shape than you would think and there is some mildew. We will start at the top and work our way down as you suggest. We appreciate your info and time.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I used Amazing Orange from the dollar store to clean up my trailer. It's really amazing! Cut through the crud on the top like nothing.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Becky,
Thank you! I am going to the dollar store then, and hope we get the same results. We are closer to pulling it out of the shop, from all the under belly and interior work we have done on her. Exterior and awnings to get cleaned next.
May I ask if either of you have replaced the drapes? The blinds remain in the windows, however the drapes were removed by previous owner. I need to solve that issue as well. I have a quote from JPA Drapes Inc. for new ones. Not sure what to do there.
Renee
Renee
Old 07-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I used Dawn dish detergent, a long-handled soft-bristled brush, and Henri shone like the star he is.

As in all cleaning, start gently and work up slowly to more harsh methods. The brush and lukewarm water got all the green grunge off of my TT.

Careful with the Scotchbright, if the clear coat is still there (like on most of Henri) it will dull severely if Scotchbright is used. Don't ask how I know...
Old 07-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
trick is to use a brush and scrub the mildew. I used a stiff toothbrush on the rivet dimples. I would not use anything metallic or scratchy at all. Cleaner and a good scrub will get it clean. When you do get it clean I like Envy waterless cleaner every once in a while.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Thanks to all the great advise you have shared with us
Old 07-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

Careful with the Scotchbright, if the clear coat is still there (like on most of Henri) it will dull severely if Scotchbright is used. Don't ask how I know...
It will significantly rough up the aluminum surface if there is not clear coat too. Good for prepping a surface for paint or maybe an engine head for a gasket, not so much for anything where appearance is important.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy99 View Post
Becky,
Thank you! I am going to the dollar store then, and hope we get the same results. We are closer to pulling it out of the shop, from all the under belly and interior work we have done on her. Exterior and awnings to get cleaned next.
May I ask if either of you have replaced the drapes? The blinds remain in the windows, however the drapes were removed by previous owner. I need to solve that issue as well. I have a quote from JPA Drapes Inc. for new ones. Not sure what to do there.
Renee
Renee
I had all of the drapes replaced in my '86 Sovereign by a lady here on this forum named "Silver Threads". I bought the fabric & shipped it to her. They are really nice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	misc. 023.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	163166   Click image for larger version

Name:	living room put together.gif
Views:	141
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	163167  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You might also want to clean the sticky surface off the inside of the trailer. Krud-cutter works pretty well. The sticky comes from the plastic coating. I use Krud cutter and then wash it with Simple Green and then dry it with a towel. Have done 2 of the mid 80's Excellas this way and it worked pretty well.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
You might also want to clean the sticky surface off the inside of the trailer. Krud-cutter works pretty well. The sticky comes from the plastic coating. I use Krud cutter and then wash it with Simple Green and then dry it with a towel. Have done 2 of the mid 80's Excellas this way and it worked pretty well.
And after you've gotten the sticky off, put a coat of Future floor wax over it & it won't come back again! (else it will in a few years)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Wow, practice does make for perfect information to share here. I did have that sticky problem, and used similar products like above. However I did not seal it, so I will use the floor wax cure.
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!