Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
looking for exterior door closure ideas

I am installing a deadbolt in my Airstream (1980 Caravelle) and thus do not need an additional keyed lock on the exterior door. Does anybody have any solutions for a simpler door closure mechanism. All it will need to do is to hold the door closed and allow for easy opening from the inside and the outside. I've wondered if there might be a way to make a door closure that worked quietly since I like to get up earlier than the rest of the family and would hate to wake them closing the door on a cold morning.
Any advice would be appreciated.
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #2
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
On my 63 someone put one of those beautiful vintage cut crystal household knobs in the place of the lock set. Probably wouldn't look righton an email eighties model by looks awesome on the oldie... I think with enough ingenuity one could make anything work. Just remember that somewhere out there someone is searching for the lock set or parts off of yours so put it on the classifieds. Also, just a note if you are replacing because you are frustrated with your keys not working properly, there is a set of numbers faintly punched in the outside of the tumbler that a reputable locksmith can look up and cut with out having an original key. I was getting pissed with how sloppy my key was in the 69 andi took the whole handset in for a rebuild and found it was the entirely wrong key for the lock. Happy new key, happy owner ....
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
On my 63 someone put one of those beautiful vintage cut crystal household knobs in the place of the lock set. Probably wouldn't look right on an eighties model but looks awesome on the oldie... I think with enough ingenuity one could make anything work.

Just remember that somewhere out there someone is searching for the lock set or parts off of yours so put it on the classifieds. Almost anything can be repaired/rebuilt....Also, just a note if you are replacing because you are frustrated with your keys not working properly, there is a set of numbers faintly punched in the outside of the tumbler that a reputable locksmith can look up and cut with out having an original key. I was getting pissed with how sloppy my key was in the 69 and I took the whole handset in for a rebuild and found it was the entirely wrong key for the lock. Happy new key, happy owner ....
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote