Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

New braunfels , Texas
water heater switch?

new to me AS, pardon stupid questions!

trying to figure out how to turn on the water heater, I thought the top black switch with red light was water heater, but my 92 excella has what I think might be a new water heater? See photo of black and white switch. Didn't run either to test for hot water; wanted input from those more experienced.

black switch goes red then turns off, white switch stays on. haven't kept them on long enough, worried about screwing up the heater.

thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0869.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	189870  
Looking4air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Look in the water heater compartment and find the model number of the water heater. If it's one that has electronic ignition AND propane/120v operating modes, my guess would be that the black switch turns on the propane side and the white switch turns on the 120v side. That would be consistent both with the types of switches and the behavior of the indicator lights you described.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
make sure there is water in the tank and you are plugged in to power. Then with the water cold turn the white switch on. If that's the electric side of the WH then in 10 -15 min you should notice the water being warm. If it's not working then that's another matter but usually easily fixed. Then try the black switch after making sure the propane is on. The light should momentarily light then go off. You should hear the flame ignite. After being shut off for awhile don't be surprised if the red light comes on after a minute or so. That means the gas flow to the burner is insufficient. It will probably do this a number of times before eventually lighting and staying lit. It needs to purge air from the line. This is how ours act normally. If it still doesn't work or won't stay lit you need to do some troubleshooting. If all's well and you are plugged in you can run them both together and speed up the hot water recovery time.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote