Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg416 View Post
A question for TheGreatleys, if I'm to have 1ppm of bleach in the freshwater tank, what does that translate to for my 20 gallon tank on a 22FB?
NIH recommends 1/8 tsp household bleach (5.25%) per gallon water to achieve 1 mg/L free chlorine. Then wait 30 minutes before consuming.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24909009
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:49 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
If you spend $1 on a 16.9-ounce bottle of water, you’re effectively paying $7.57 per gallon – 3,785 times more than you’d pay for the same amount of water from a faucet."
Who does that?
I buy a 24 pack of bottled water for $3.50 at the grocery.
Then I have a small filter on my hose for the city water.

Besides, my antibodies need something to practice on. All you folks who used hand sanitizer before pushing the grocery cart are just encouraging the growth of super bacteria that won't be killed by antibiotics. Hand sanitizer only kills the weakest germs, so the mighty ones are left to reproduce.
To a germ, I'm Chuck Norris.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
After considering all of the issues around the variability of water sources, tank sanitizing, water filters and the like we decided to use the fresh water tank or "city water" source (with an external Camco filter) only up for washing and showering and the like. For drinking and cooking we use bottled water. A 40 bottle flat (that's 20 liters) of Arrowhead spring water costs under $5 at Costco and we don't worry about unhealthy water quality. Just one less hassle....

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
There really is no guarantee that what you bring in *is* any better than swamp water. The gotcha of a "super filter" is that you take more risks. "My filter will protect me". Take a look at the data on anti-skid brakes as an example of this.
Apples and oranges. Anti-skid brakes have exactly zero relevance to potable water sources. And there are guarantees that the water you bring into your Airstream is better than swamp water. My experience with potable water supply systems isn't as extensive as some others here on the Forums, but I have designed and built water wells and water treatment systems for Army Corps of Engineers facilities in remote locations (including facilities in the Atchafalaya Basin swamp, by the way), and I've done my due diligence with regard to researching water sources and water treatment.

Every public source of potable water is required by State regulations (in all 50 states) to be tested at specific intervals for specific contaminants. In Louisiana where I live, the regulatory agency for water wells and treatment systems is the Department of Natural Resources. Conversely, the regulatory agency for wastewater treatment is the Department of Health and Hospitals. Go figure.

Exact requirements and terminology vary somewhat from state to state, but in general, water sources are classified as either transient or non-transient, and as community or non-community. Even privately-owned and privately-used wells for single-family homes are required to be tested for at least organic contaminants such as nitrates, nitrites, and fecal coliforms at some interval.

In general, there is a hierarchy of potable water sources that determines how often the water has to be tested, and what contaminants have to be tested for. All testing is performed by state-approved testing laboratories, including testing of "control" samples to verify that the testing methods and procedures are accurate.

A small campground that gets its water from an on-site well would be classified as non-community transient. Non-community because the well serves a small number of people at any given time, and transient because the same people will only drink the water for a few weeks at most before moving on. Non-community transient water sources have the lowest testing requirements of all public water sources. Testing will be done as seldom as once a month, depending on jurisdiction, and the number and type of contaminants is limited to those that create an immediate threat to life and health, mostly organics and fast-acting poisons. Contaminants that only cause long-term effects only are not considered.

At the other end of the spectrum will be the water treatment plants in a major metropolitan area. These are considered non-transient community sources. The water is tested frequently, often several times a day to several times an hour, and the number and type of contaminants is extensive, including contaminants that could cause long-term health effects.

The theory is that for community sources, if the water is bad a lot of people get sick at the same time and can overwhelm the health care system when they seek treatment for what ails them. For non-community sources, if the water is bad only a few people get sick at the same time. For non-transient water sources, the same source could be used for years or even a lifetime by the same people, so contaminants that can only cause long-term health effects can eventually hurt the people drinking it. For transient sources, theoretically no one will drink the same water long enough for long-term hazardous contaminants to build up to toxic levels in their bodies.

To further complicate matters, the EPA publishes TWO lists of contaminants. The EPA Primary Drinking Water Standards identify contaminants that make the water unsafe to drink, and lists the maximum safe level of said contaminants. The EPA Secondary Drinking Water Standards list contaminants that make the water unpleasant to drink. Some of the contaminants on the secondary list also appear on the primary list, but with a lower threshold of acceptable levels, while others on the secondary list don't appear on the primary list at all. Compliance with the primary list is mandatory; compliance with the secondary list is optional, in nearly all jurisdictions.

At any campground in the United States, the people most likely to suffer ill effects are the camp hosts, who will use the same potable water source far longer than any other campers. If they don't get sick from drinking the water, you shouldn't get sick either.

At any campground in the United States, the water coming out of the spigot should always be safe enough to drink, for a period of a few days to a few weeks— unless the water distribution system has recently been damaged so that surface-water contamination could enter the system between the treatment system and the spigot. If the water wasn't safe to drink, then as soon as people started getting sick from it, red flags would pop up at the state agency responsible for monitoring water quality. But as noted in the different EPA standards, safe to drink doesn't always mean pleasant to drink. The water treatment devices you use for your Airstream should be selected for the purpose of making the water pleasant to drink. Let the state regulatory agencies worry about whether the water is safe to drink.

In my engineering opinion, the only people who need a water treatment system that renders the water safe to drink are long-term boondockers who get their water from non-state-approved sources such as directly from a river or from collected rainwater. Or RVers who are careless enough or desperate enough to fill their tanks from a non-potable source such as the spigot at a dump station.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quite a regulatory review from Protagonist. Thank you!

I would only add that bottled water regulations are similar, and the testing and operation of those facilities are also performed by humans. Just as there is a small but nonzero chance of something happening to a municipal or private supply, there is also a chance of something happening at the bottling plant or due to mishandling downstream.

As I said before, different strokes for different folks. There is no 100% safe solution. Everyone makes their own choices based on their own needs, opinions, and values. Buy the ticket, take the ride.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote