Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Thetford to Valterra conversion

Not sure if the newest Airstreams still come with a Thetford connection for the dump hose, but our 2005 is so-equipped.

If so, why does AS make life difficult for us - do they consider that Thetford is much superior? Seems few RV shops / Walmart etc. carry any compatible Thetford products

I do know that you can buy "Thetford to Valterra" adapters from Valterra - I use them now.

Some time back I added a third dump valve to the end of the dump tube on the trailer - mainly to solve the problem that can sometimes happen when you move from campsite to campsite, then take the cap off to hook up your hose and get a quart or two of gray water pouring out!

I have a Thetford to Valterra adapter in place to make that work.

Unfortunately last week I was lying under the trailer doing some brake work and inadvertently kicked the valve and broke one of the "ears" off the adapter!

The adapter only has two ears not four, and so is more fragile.

Anyway, in shopping around to replace the broken adapter, the current info I was finding is that the adapter is no longer going to be made by Valterra - I don't believe it is offered any more by Camping World for this reason.

If this info is correct, the already difficult to find adapter is surely going to be still
harder to find in future.

I just received two new adapters that I was able to order from Amazon.

So what I am wondering is whether anyone has permanently modified the outlet tube on their trailer to accept Valterra accessories directly without needing an adapter.

I haven't explored dimensions, what would be involved etc. I'm sure it could be done - but right off the bat, I wonder if material compatibility might be an issue.

I think Thetford stuff is white and Valterra is black. That makes me wonder if one is ABS and the other PVC. If so, I'm not sure if the two materials can be glued together - assuming that would be necessary to make a permanent arrangement.

To save me re-inventing the wheel I wonder if anyone has done anything like this and might offer comment?

Thanks .............. Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Not sure if the newest Airstreams still come with a Thetford connection for the dump hose, but our 2005 is so-equipped.

If so, why does AS make life difficult for us - do they consider that Thetford is much superior? Seems few RV shops / Walmart etc. carry any compatible Thetford products

Airstream used Thetford products for many years, but changed to Valtera about the time your unit was made (I think). So, all new stuff is Valtera, and has been for quite some time now.

Thetford makes and made very good products, but they simply became less used by RV manufacturers, and now are harder to find and quite expensive.

This certainly is not an Airstream fault. Times and products change. Airstream has changed too.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Hmmm!

Further to my initial post, I find that in fact there is a cement that can be used to glue ABS to PVC if that should be an issue in modifying my trailer's dump outlet from Thetford to Valterra,

It is Oatey green transition cement, and seems to be available at places such as Lowes.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 12-19-2015, 01:08 PM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I did it a few years ago. Cut the theford off and glued the valterra on. They make a universal glue and it worked great.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I rebuilt the whole drain manifold with Valterra valves. I used PVC but ABS would have been just fine. The universal cement works well. After 5 years, no problems, and no adaptors needed.

Valterra bayonet adaptors are readily available. The question is do you have enough room to cut the drain pipe square and install the new bayonet adaptor? My trailer has a plastic "cover wrap" around the drain pipe. It does not project out very far.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1205 New PVC Drain Manifold.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	254154   Click image for larger version

Name:	1408 Ground Clearance 86.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	254155  

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I did it a few years ago. Cut the theford off and glued the valterra on. They make a universal glue and it worked great.
Thanks Roger - I think I will do the same!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 12-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I rebuilt the whole drain manifold with Valterra valves. I used PVC but ABS would have been just fine. The universal cement works well. After 5 years, no problems, and no adaptors needed.

Valterra bayonet adaptors are readily available. The question is do you have enough room to cut the drain pipe square and install the new bayonet adaptor? My trailer has a plastic "cover wrap" around the drain pipe. It does not project out very far.

David
Thanks David - from memory I think I have enough exposed drain pipe - but if not maybe I could do one o two things

(a) extend the tube as needed with a glued sleeve or .....

(b) maybe glue the Thetford to Valterra adapter that I now have onto the existing Thetford fitting to essentially make it one solid unit, it not rely on just the two ears on the adapter to hold things together

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 12-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
I took a small dab of Vulcum Caulk and dabbed it on both ears of the adapter...3 years so far...
harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
fallbrook , California
Adapters are HARD to find . I had my 2000 permanently changed by RV dealer who does my maintain! Bruce
bruceganoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Valterra valves are cheap, basically throw away pieces ,that's why they are widely used!
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
golden valley , Minnesota
another solution that I have used are rubber sleaves that have hose clamps for tightening. This removes the need for glue altogether and adds some flexibility to the system which I like for road vibration and such. Also if I break some tines on the adapters it is now removeable to repair.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Torrance , California
The rubber thing with bands is called a "no-hub coupler". They come in many sizes and are ideal for changing AS plumbing (as well as your house plumbing if you are so inclined).

You can find them at almost any big box store, hardware stores and obviously plumbing warehouses.

When I had to do some remove and replacement of drain lines inside the rear hatch of the Safari, I put it all back together with no-hubs, saves time and is readily removed for future needs. BTW they will hold up to vibration. Also there is a specific torque that the bands (hose clamps) need to be tightened to, there is a $60 tool at plumbing supply houses that I use (I am a contractor so I collect tools), otherwise carefully tighten and test for leaks, good idea to check after the first trip to make sure they do not to be re-tourqued.
1970 Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:29 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Nauvoo , Alabama
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Hmmm!

Further to my initial post, I find that in fact there is a cement that can be used to glue ABS to PVC if that should be an issue in modifying my trailer's dump outlet from Thetford to Valterra,

It is Oatey green transition cement, and seems to be available at places such as Lowes.

Brian
Thanks for the question and your research, I am refurbishing a 67 AS and having the same problem with the parts people never answering this same question and thus never knew there was a cement to transition with - now a lot of my rebuilding the sewer system and adding a wash water holding tank will or is solved. This is Monday and it feels like a ANSWER to a Sunday prayer. All forum people, I thank you as well I would be so far behind if not for Air Forums!