Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
shower faucet replacement, help !!!!

searched through forums and couldn't find my answer, so apologies if i missed this. It seems like a major issue my service guy is telling me no way to replace shower faucet on 1972 land yacht without pulling out entire bath/shower panels, he says no other way.. Yikes !!! can this be right, that airstream designers in the 1970's thought that the shower faucet would never fail and need to be replaced ??
at this point not sure what do ... only option would be to "cap" the water pipes and render not useable or start on a major bathroom remodel. Not in my plans at the moment. Just purchased this baby and would like a useable shower..

many thanks on advice ...
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
i got a detailed response from Airstream, not sure how to attache their document here though.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I cut an access panel in the bedroom ahead of the shower area. Got right into the back of the valve and replaced it. The panel looked like it belonged there.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , United States
Or you can replace the Moen cartridge, I think it's a 1222 cartridge.

Greg
Old 11-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
poor advice from RV service center in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
searched through forums and couldn't find my answer, so apologies if i missed this. It seems like a major issue my service guy is telling me no way to replace shower faucet on 1972 land yacht without pulling out entire bath/shower panels, he says no other way.. Yikes !!! can this be right, that airstream designers in the 1970's thought that the shower faucet would never fail and need to be replaced ??
at this point not sure what do ... only option would be to "cap" the water pipes and render not useable or start on a major bathroom remodel. Not in my plans at the moment. Just purchased this baby and would like a useable shower..

many thanks on advice ...
so it turns out all i needed was a new Moen cartridge, the RV service center in Santa Cruz said the entire unit had failed and could not be replaced. i was so bummed as they said several hours of work to pull bathroom panels out, they "quoted" hundreds of dollars , not to mention damage done as bathroom plastics have become brittle and i don't think they'd fair too well if pulled apart.
i almost started the project myself on their advice, curiosity had me do so some more research and after calling Bay Plumbing they said the replacement cartridges today would fit a 1972 shower faucet. I now have other questions regarding their repair recommendations ... more to follow. HUGE lesson learned here.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Call Moen, I did and was able to buy the cartridge and the tool to pull it for around 27 bucks. What surprised me was the quality of the diverter. If purchased new, it's around $150.00.

I have a 72 overlander. But call Moen they are open on Saturday morning.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
If you take the old cartridge to a building supply like Lowes or Home Depot they will usually give you the replacement cartridge at no cost. Moen had a lifetime warranty on those cartridges. I got a couple when I had my 1976, and left them in the unit when it was sold.
Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote