Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Botgek , Washington
Advice on new tanks and plumping

Hello,

I have to replace the grey and black tanks in my 78 31' rear bath sovereign. Has anyone had custom made tanks built for the rear bath? the tank replacements I've seen online are pretty simple, in terms of dimensions. My tanks now have a few dimensions, I'm wondering if a simple rectangle tank will work. Any experience you have to share would be appreciated. (pic included of my tanks)

I've also attached a .pdf of how I plan to plump it, any advice on if this looks good would also be great appreciated. There is a picture of where the tanks are and there is a "thing" that is part of the plumping and I have no idea what it is.

Thanks in advance
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5239.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	260635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5690.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	608.3 KB
ID:	260636  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5693.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	644.8 KB
ID:	260637  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Plumbing.pdf (95.5 KB, 66 views)
Sirwalshalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Botgek , Washington
anyone?
Sirwalshalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
The thing is a vent.
Custom tanks are very expensive.
I was going to put in rectangular tanks but after much thought decided that the angled slope on most tanks was need. However, I placed 2 gray tanks. One is a box- it's for the kitchen sink. The other fits inside the rails with a slope.
Your tanks would be small but you know your needs.
Here a pic if what I did.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1461169140.717809.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	261060
The shot is from front to back. I changed my setup from a rear bath to a center bath. As seen in picture. All my tanks are 27 gallons.
Front tank- 54x16x8- kitchen
Mid tank- shower
Rear tank- black

Hope this helps. I ordered mine from ppl.com but it took a month for me to get it.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
I noticed the p-traps- have you considered the hepvo valves? They free up a lot of space. No back flow issues and no winterizing and no worries on odor issues from dried p-traps. Plus they self vent- you could remove the vent thingy. Just some advice.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
What is wrong with your existing tanks? Are they cracked and leaking?

I have a 77 Sovereign, and my tanks looked just like yours. I cleaned them up, changed the valves, water tested them and they are fine.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwalshalot View Post
Hello,

There is a picture of where the tanks are and there is a "thing" that is part of the plumping and I have no idea what it is.

Thanks in advance
Ryan
That "thing" looks like an "air admittance valve," which works like a vent but is sort of a "poor man's" solution to your overall venting issues. You really should keep the separate vents for your galley area and black tank. From your drawings it looks like you plan on just one vent over near the shower and bathroom area, and that's a pretty long run from the kitchen sink without a vent.

I replaced my three tanks last summer, and I had a bad experience having them made. I did use the black tank that I was having made, and it matched the original exactly. I ended up buying an Inca fresh water tank (found a good match) and then an Inca black water tank that I used for a gray water tank. I had to get creative in positioning, securing, and sloping them but was able to use the original galvanized belly pans that support and protect them, and now have a gray water tank that hold about 24 gallons. I also utilized the three vents that were originally there.

There's a lot of info on these forums about tanks. I think you will find that unless you have your tanks custom-made you will have to buy "close matches" and then get creative. There are many ways to do it, and many good threads here.
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Cottage Grove , Minnesota
Thats encouraging!

We are pulling up floors right now and hoping our tanks are ok!

http://rumblestripramblings.com/

[QUOTE=Sneakinup;1779366]What is wrong with your existing tanks? Are they cracked and leaking?

I have a 77 Sovereign, and my tanks looked just like yours. I cleaned them up, changed the valves, water tested them and they are fine.

Read more about our Airstream, Alice on our blog Rumble Strip Ramblings.

Instagram: @rumblestripramblings
RumbleStrip is offline   Reply With Quote