Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
We Haven't Forgotten, Have We???

I'm surprised no one has posted this, so I'll go ahead.

Eight years ago today, our lives changed forever.

I was stationed in California and had just gotten off of guard duty. I listened to the news on the radio, on the way home.

When I got home, Sherri and I sat on the sofa, turned on Fox News, watched the Towers collapse and cried together.

I ate at Windows On The World, when I was 11, Christmas 1984. They were beautiful buildings.

Those who forget the lessons of history are doomed to repeat its mistakes.

Where were you?

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I watch the events in shock 8 years ago as I was getting ready to go to work. I had visited the Trade Center several years earlier and had been to the visitors deck on the one tower. I will always remember the sign at the elevator to the top. It said that this was as close to heaven as some of us will ever get.

I was disappointed that so few people in my area flew their flag today. Mine flew proudly all day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3270.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	87053  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
We will never forget...

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Earlier there was an email making it's rounds to remind all Americans to put out their flags - cars - homes - business' - etc. It was one of those that said pass it on to friends and family.

We were happy and proud to fly the American flag today. As we do most other days.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I knew the AA Crews.

I can never forget. Still get emotional at the thought.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I found two pics of me on the Christmas '84 trip. The first was in Windows On The World, the second in the Lobby...notice the Citibank sign on the right side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WTC WOTW.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	87054   Click image for larger version

Name:	WTC Lobby.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	431.0 KB
ID:	87055  

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I was on a business trip in Denver, CO on 9/11, with a colleague.

I watched the video tape on the morning news as I was getting ready to leave for the client's place. We tried to have the meeting, but wound up watching the horrible sequence of events on a TV in their office.

A couple of days later when it became painfully clear that flights wouldn't resume quickly, we ended up driving from Denver to Fargo, ND where we took a bus from there to Winnipeg, Manitoba. The next morning, Saturday, we boarded the first flights out of Winnipeg since the 11th.

Needless to say, there was a very nervous feeling in the entire airport that morning.

The event itself was of such a magnitude that what it meant, and how much suffering was caused by the dastardly doings, took days to really sink in.

Aage
Old 09-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
In my home office I have two framed black and white photos; The first is of Lady Liberty with the twin towers in the background and the second is of the Brooklyn Bridge with blue flood lights piercing the night sky where the towers once stood. Every morning I look at these photos and remember September 11, 2001. I will never forget.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
I was at work and watching the news in a conference room outside of one of our ICUs. I watched the second plane fly into the tower in horror.

My mother said that she experienced the same feelings when her family heard that the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor. She never forgot where she was or what she was doing.

I will never forget 9/11 because I was an adult when that horrific event occurred but we also must remember December 7th (Pearl Harbor), June 6th (D-Day), September 2nd...
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I was on my way to work and the news came on about what was going on on the east coast. That day I lost two co workers on AA Flight 77 that was flown into the Pentagon. Both left wifes and one a little girl not yet born. After 8 years I thought I can go through this day without crying. I'll guess I'll have to wait another year.
Ruben and Chad, I will never forget you.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
I will never forget.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I was getting ready for work when the news was broadcast on the radio morning news. We turned on the TV and watched in horror as the second tower was struck. Went to work and classes were canceled for the day.

We flew our flag proudly today. We'll never forget.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
We were packing up our camp near Calgary, Alberta on our way back home to Saskatoon when the cell phone rang. My brother-in-law was calling to tell us to turn on our radio (no TV). We finished packing up in a sombre mood and drove the 8 hours back home, listening to radio commentaries the whole way. When we got home, we quickly ran to the tv and sat glued, shaking. The radio announcers could not truly convey the magnitude of what video could capture. It was sickening.

Today we packed up our camp (we always do our fall camping during this week) and remembered the tragedy of just a few short years ago.

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my wife and I will always be reminded of what happened that day partially because her birthday is Sept 12. Such a sad thing happened one day before her birthday.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:19 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
We'll never forget. Our oldest son lost a very good childhood friend, he was on the 92nd floor of tower 1. He was fresh out of college and it was his dream job. God Bless you Josh.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:14 AM   #16
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
I was sleeping in -- my day off. My aunt called me to tell me about it. We chatted for awhile and watched the towers fall together.

I ran some errands later that day. While I was out, I got a call to pack my stuff and be ready to leave immediately. Turns out I got to continue with my normal life for 2 more years. Small price to pay for those who didn't make it through the morning of 9/11.

I ran the Marine Corps Marathon 7 weeks later in DC. The course allowed us to run twice by the Pentagon. Got a good long look at the hole in the building during the run.

Definitely will not forget.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:18 AM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
On the Morning of September 11th, 2001, I was at the U.S. Customs Service Office at JFK Airport in New York City. I was part of an office inspection team that was assigned to review the operation of our offices that were part of the Office of the Special Agent in Charge, New York. I clearly recall arriving at the office parking lot at JFK with two other agents. I could see the skyline of Manhattan from there, and there was nothing amiss at that point. It was around 8:30. We went into the office building and rode the elevator to the 5th floor. When we entered the conference room in the office, I recall looking out the windows and saw that the one of the World Trade Center Buildings was burning. There was a television in the conference room that had been turned on by one of the office secretaries. Charlie Gibson on Good Morning America was reporting that an aircraft had struck the World Trade Center. At that point it was still unknown if it was an accident or otherwise.

The U.S. Customs Office at JFK went into chaos as our main Special Agent in Charge Office in Manhattan was located in the World Trade Center. At that point, I noticed out the window that another aircraft seemed to be flying very close to the burning Trade Center. Then, right before my eyes, this aircraft flew into the other tower. It was then clear that this was no accident, and my heart sank. All land lines and cell towers were immediately overwhelmed, and it was very difficult to get a call out. All of the U.S. Customs employees in the Trade Center office managed to get out of the building. Our office was on the 7th floor of one of the Trade Center buildings.

The afternoon before, I was at a meeting at our main office in the Trade Center. The inspection assignments were made at that meeting. There were three offices to be inspected, the main office in the Trade center, The Resident Agent Office in Newark, and The Resident Agent Office at JFK Airport. Assignment preferences were given by seniority. I was the senior agent on the inspection team, and chose JFK. If I had chosen the main office, I would have been in the building on that fateful morning.

I remember that day like it was yesterday, and probably always will.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I had been given a leave-of-absence for a year to complete my Masters degree in Oceanography. So, I was at home getting ready for classes which ment I could leave later than I normally would for "work". I was brushing my teeth, and as always the TV was on to a news channel - in this case it was Katie Curic and Matt Lauer on the Today Show. The first plane crashed and I thought about the people on that plane and the investigation to follow, then as I was brushing my teeth, the 2nd plane went in as I watched. I remember the room going dark and grey and having to sit down, I called my wife at work and asked her to take greater care with her safety that day - no real reason but just great concern for a loved ones safety - we are in South Mississippi, and very far away from the threat.

I'm on the road (air travel) alot for my job, I never forget that day - I am very cautious with my travel plans. I look at the increase in security in the airports as a hassle but a natural evolution of current world events and never the fault of the person on the front lines doing their jobs at the airports.

Having been to the Persian Gulf region more than 12 times since 9/11 and going back again in less than a month, I have a sence of the magnitute of what this nation is up against. It's not a matter of if, but when something like this will happen again.

Remember our troops, a simple thank you as you pass them in uniform, a smile, hello, good day goes a very long way.

Never forget.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Proud To Be An American

I was sitting in our conference room at work rebuilding a desktop PC and spent the entire day glued to the TV.

We live out in the country and I remember the strange feeling going outside at night and looking up into the night sky and not seeing the red, green, and white blinking lights of high flying airplanes.

My mom was in Germany visiting a friend and we talked a long time on the phone that night.

When I came home from work yesterday a crane company along the highway had one of its largest cranes fully extended with the biggest american flag I have ever seen hanging from the boom. It was a windy day and the entire flag was billowing over the road. I always get a lump in my throat and goose bumps when I see Old Glory, and yesterday was no exception.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Ada , Michigan
I will never forget.
kimandgary is offline   Reply With Quote