Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Question Trash, are RV'ers lazy?

In my current park, there are small garbage receptacles (you know the ones with about an 8 inch hole cut in the top to throw away bottles etc) placed by the roads in front of camp sites about every 50 yards.

I've noticed many campers now take entire large bags of trash out of their trailers, lift up the tops of these receptacles and fill the receptacle up in one fell swoop. If the trash receptacle is full, they will lay their trash bag against the receptacle all day/night long, creating both an eye sore and inevitable mess when the animals get at it. Right in front of my Airstream.

All the while, there is a huge dumpster for the park that you can drive up to a block away.

So my question is; why are people lazy slobs?
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
"So my question is; why are people lazy slobs?"

I think that it is because, for many folks, it's all about "ME". As long as it is best for them, it doesn't matter a bit how their actions impact other people. These are the same folks who let their dos poop and do not pick it up.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
**WARNING: this post contains bl**ped foul language.**

As a designer, I can tell you that the single most reliable truth when designing for humans is that "people are lazy."

I start each of my class terms with the following statement on the board, which I take an entire class period to discuss with my students--and to which I refer often:

"A sufficiently motivated person will put up with a fair amount of bulls**t."

Now, think about those words "sufficiently" and "motivated" and "bulls**t" for a while and you've unlocked the key to human centered design.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
There are arrogant slobs everywhere. They think they are above the rules and leave their common sense and courtesy at home (if they have any to leave).

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I had some humans leaving trash on my country road almost weekly. I would pick up the bags and dispose of them properly.
Then the day came that one of the bags was open and there was a receipt with the culprits address on it. Foolish humans.
I gathered up their garbage and drove it to their house. Of course nobody would come to the door. I left their bag on their front porch.
They got the message because I never had another bag left on my road.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #6
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs down

You know what really grinds my gears. When people do this to their public lands. Trash everywhere. You wouldn't walk across the street and take a dump on your neighbor's lawn, so why do people dump all their trash on public lands?

Lack of respect. As another said, selfishness.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Little dif. than post by Dingo girl as weekly. They dump thro trash out window daily, the slobs dump and thro trash, fast foods dirty diapers and many other items along my rural prop. I have picked and then where started more trash. People dump appliances and lots of other items. I found name and address in 1 bag of garbage called road com. and sheriffs office, signed complaint, slob went to jail then court, maybe they learned illegal to dump other peoples prop. after hefty fine and 6 mos. court supervision.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Yes to much above.

People are lazy not just rv'ers.

It's all about them, and no thought is given to any impact to anyone else.

Someone will take care if it, just not them.

It literally happens everywhere and some of them are perfectly nice people. If you point it out to them they say, oh I always (insert your situation) except/but today/now.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I don't think it is your GUESTS are lazy, just uncertain. You located small trash cans that don't meet the needs of your Guests.

They are likely thinking why are these trash cans so undersized? Management must be lazy or cheap in their selection.

I collect trash in my airstream in small grocery bags; reuse. The only time I'm using small bags is when I am walking my dog. Your guests are likely thinking this campground has a lot of dogs or just full of sh@&.

As a designer in the hospitality business, it is about customer service. Provide what meets the needs our your guests. If you are not, they will definitely let you know where you are falling short.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
It is not just lazy, it is disrespect at its finest. It is not just RV'ers, it is a fact of life that camping of all types generates trash. Lazy, drunk, ignorant or rushed, some people leave trash behind.
When we have a festival, When they come in we tell them NO GLASS and try to be sure each vehicle gets a trash bag. Some events we confiscate glass.
Trash is easy to pick up compared to broken bottles.
We had tried dual receptacles, trash & recycle but you just cant fix stupid, as most ignore the labels.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
It's simple: People can give pigs a run for their money. Thoughtless, above the rules, entitled ... you name it.

I am particularly annoyed by those who let their dogs poop and don't pick up after them. There's nothing quite as disgusting as stepping on a fresh one and tracking it into the Airstream. (What's the smell?) I end up picking other dogs' poop up because I know in the end this small kindness to others ... when ignored, will eventually lead to a "no dog" policy. I am often temped to leave the doggie poop bag on their doorstep with a note that says" "I think you dropped this."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No Poop Fairy.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	281628  
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Little dif. than post by Dingo girl as weekly. They dump thro trash out window daily, the slobs dump and thro trash, fast foods dirty diapers and many other items along my rural prop. I have picked and then where started more trash. People dump appliances and lots of other items. I found name and address in 1 bag of garbage called road com. and sheriffs office, signed complaint, slob went to jail then court, maybe they learned illegal to dump other peoples prop. after hefty fine and 6 mos. court supervision.
Excellent! I wished of have thought of going to the authorities rather than going vigilante.
We have literal dumps in the woods around here. If you go two tracking you are guaranteed to find furniture, appliances etc... It is a crying shame.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
My favorite is the trash ring and/or grill full of cigarette butts. Nothing like the aroma of burned butts to liven up a S'Mores party...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Even worse than the slobs who let their dog do his thing and leave it are the slobs who pick up after their dog and then discard the plastic bag in the bushes beside the road or shove the bag down the storm drain.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Dont get me going what we have endured in fire pits, melted cans & bottles, spent nitrous cartridges, and last but not least burnt diapers
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I stayed at an "RV resort" in Florida a few weeks ago where the rule was put your trash in a plastic bag and leave it on your campsite driveway. Within a short time somebody drove by with a golf cart and picked it up. If people took their trash to the dumpster this guy would not have a job.

As for me, I long for the good old days when dumps were dumps and not sanitary landfills. Wayne, I have first hand knowledge diapers don't burn. They only smolder. While we are kind of on the subject in the 70s Airstream had a waste disposal option called a "Thermosan". Basically black tank waste (no such things as grey tanks in them days) was pumped through a hose to the exhaust manifold on the TV, no @#$&, and burnt off driving down the road. Never experienced one in action though. My owners manual also had a chapter on how to dig a hole to put the end of your slinky.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 PM   #17
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Just so we're clear: Every tent camper out there will tell you that every RV camper out there is lazy.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post

It's simple: People can give pigs a run for their money.
You know, pigs are quite smart. No reason to slander them like that.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I am continuously surprised in a bad way, how much trash is left at nearly every campground we go to in Colorado. Me and the kids always go to the empty sites before we leave and fill 1-2 more bags of trash. It's amazing, and I can't figure out why people don't get it.

What's worse is we help with road cleanups, and people still throw trash out of their car window. I nearly get road rage when I see this live.....

I think it is simple disrespect, and selfishness. No one taught these people simple manners...
Old 03-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Their not "Lazy" but just "Trashy"...my dog is lazy.

Ever heard the term "Trailer Trash"...that's them!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote