Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Trailer Trash?

Hi, as I was digging around in my trailer I pulled the cover off of the kitchen cabinet under my oven. I got my flashlight and was just looking around at things when I thought I saw a styrofoam coffee cup stuffed between the furnace ducts and sink drain pipe. Yes it was. And it was obviously left there by someone at the factory while my trailer was being built. As I looked deeper, I saw a piece of black plastic pipe, that seemed to be open on one end instead of connected to something. I reached in and pulled it out. This was a left over piece of black plastic pipe that was laying onto the furnace housing. Next I saw what looked like a white wire with a ground loop on the end of the wire, but was not connected to ground anywhere. I could not reach it from this side so I removed the three kitchen utinsel drawers and pulled it out; It was not connected at the other end either. While in there I saw a washer looking thing laying on the floor. It was a drill out hole of aluminum from some unknown place. These things wouldn't hurt anything and I really don't care about them; They could have been in this trailer for decades if I wasn't the kind of person who likes to dig. I do think it is a shame, for Airstream, that some of their employees think it's cool to leave trash in someone's trailer knowing they will most likely never hear or have to deal with it once it leaves the assembly line. On the other hand, I wouldn't feel sorry for this person if they lost their job because of our economy. No pride, No job. Anyone else have similar stories of trash left in their brand new Airstream?

I haven't been to the factory, but I would like to ask, or know, if Airstream has trash cans or recycle bins on their assembly line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0405 (Large).JPG
Views:	149
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	76838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0406 (Large).JPG
Views:	137
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	76839  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
You should ebay them as rare collectibles

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
I took off the wall that is in my kitchen,there written in black ink,was a Signature by the Lead Assembler in black ink,and in pencil ,His Helper ! Fire these two while your at it! Damn Hoodlums !
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
When removing the "beautiful" shag carpeting from the 1978 Argosy Minuet, I found many rivet shafts under the padding. Obviously there is no time available to sweep these up.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
I think its cool if they if have a signature on you trailer! Might be worth more some day!
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:01 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
I found a ton of the metal "donut holes" in the bottom of my c-channel between the walls during my restoration. I didn't think anything of it... Now the pipe and cup are odd. But I wouldn't loose sleep about it.
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I was thinking your story would lead somewhere else ... i.e. you would soon mention that you had a little visitor (mouse) collecting stuff and building nests. Thankfully it was not that!
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
My city, Lorain, was home to a very large Ford assembly plant. Over the years they produced Econolines, thunderbirds, courgars, and others.

It is amazing to hear the stories of things that went into making Fords the best! Perhaps thats why they are no longer there....

Lets just hope that Jackson Center has more bathrooms than Lorain, Ohio
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
When I pulled the furnace out to replace the motor, I found the knock outs and filings where they drilled the holes for vents. What's worse is that it the furnace had been removed once before to replace the fresh air cross over hose. No pride of profesionalism there. They also bent the furnace box up because they didn't know how to remove the furnace properly. It may have been done at an Airstream dealer because it was a factory recall. As a rank amature doing the furnace service for the first time it was well within the ability of a common man to do it properly.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Same thing on my 67 during my restoration, I found all kinds of goodies lying around.
In the trash can they go.

I hope the commercial aircraft manufactures are not this lax in the cleanup.
They must in a hurry, slow the line down a little.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, in digging around my 2004, I pulled several lbs of crap out. Routed out pieces of alum, rolled up wire, etc. It was literally several lbs.

The thing that really and truly ticked me off was when I installed my own subwoofer. Under my front couch, there is a white box type structure. I opened it up in the investigation stage to see about placement of said subwoofer because it was a bazooka and it was long, not the box looking one they shove in the arm storage of the couch.

To my absolute amazement, in the routed out hole that lead from the umbilical to the wiring inside, some clown had balled up and shoved a McDonald's breakfast sandwich wrapper into the hole.

After all the oddities and such I've exp with having owned two new Airstreams, it was this kind of mentality that really started to put the pieces together for me as to the mindset of the people building these units vs the issues I was seeing. I just couldn't believe someone would do something like that. When you post what you found, it really didn't shock me given what I have exp.

I know some folks get upset to find wood and alum shavings, to me that is small compared to 6x6 pieces of routed out alum, wiring and of course food wrappers.

Given the state of the economy, I am fairly certain the folks responsible for these lazy and rude acts have had time to think about their jobs as they have most likely been mothballed for periods of time due to production cutbacks at the factory.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
In one of the couch arm cover/lid we found all the clips n rollers (don't know real name) but are the runner attachments for the curtains that were originally in here...the former owners had taken out the curtains we are all familiar with and put in pull down shades which we are still useing today...we know there is one of you that specialize in making curtains and will probably get with you later. But this one was pretty darn clean when we purchased.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
No excuse for food wrappers and coffee cups.
PERIOD
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #14
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
This is not the first time this subject has come up. Apparently it is a long standing tradition, going back the 60s at least, to send out brand new Airstream trailers looking like the inside of a vacuum cleaner bag.

They are still the same today if not worse. In fact, if a bag of trash is the worst thing you have to deal with you are lucky.

It's a mystery to me why so called reputable manufacturers, and for that matter unions, let a few ignorant goons ruin the livelihood of a thousand honest workmen.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby View Post
When removing the "beautiful" shag carpeting from the 1978 Argosy Minuet, I found many rivet shafts under the padding. Obviously there is no time available to sweep these up.
Same with our 67 AS: Tons of rivet shafts. Oh, and one large, convex washer that made a lump in the carpet right in front of the kitchen sink.

The one good thing I found was a nice adjustable wrench, which was trapped under the heater vent at the back of the rig. It is one of those very small ones, pretty difficult to find.

Lynn
Old 03-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
While working on our 75 model...I pulled out our sofa bed and holy cow!

JIMMY HOFFA!!!!!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #17
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Don & Claudia, Tell what you found on the frame of your flying cloud. I think it is neat and I will put my signature and date somewhere on my renovations, not garbage.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Once I bought an Econoline van that had a persistent rattle that the dealer "couldn't find" ... once I took off the right had door liner panel, I found a Coke bottle left inside the door and was bouncing around in there. I think it was before bottle deposit came along, so I didn't get my dime for it!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
I am not sure if these people live in a trailer but I thought that it was along the same lines as found things.

Pet cat found in used couch

SPOKANE, Washington (NBC) -- A Washington state couple got more than they paid for when they recently bought a couch at a thrift store.

The pet cat from the couch's previous owner has crawled inside the couch just before it was taken to a Spokane thrift store and stayed in there for three weeks until the couple found it.
The couple contacted the local media in Spokane who ran a story and was able to track down the owners.
The family says they are happy to have their pet back at home.

KSN.com - Also in the news - Video - Pet cat found in used couch
Old 03-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Can you imagine the odor of the poor cat in the couch for three weeks?

They paid $27 for it and got more than they bargained for.